Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Stop/Start system.

28K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Can anyone tell me about the stop, start system. Mine seems to be a bit sporadic, working sometimes but not others. I have read that it is temperature sensitive, both in the cabin and outside. Any ideas, or is it me?

#3 ·
I think it is a pain......I always switch it off, can't be doing with it and I don't think it does the diesel engine any-good....my thoughts though :|

#6 ·
Still can't quite fathom it. At the moment, with the temps as they are, (around freezing), in the mornings the S/S does not work at all. Later in the day when it is slightly warmer, it sometimes works once (at my first point of breaking, 200 yards into my journey) then not again for my 7 mile journey home. Thinking of getting it checked but no time between now and the new year.

#7 ·
Certainly on the mk1 in the manual there's a list of all the conditions that will prevent it activating. As well as thru obvious battery charge, there's having a high demand on the Airco hot or cold (when it stops it reduces the fan speed). So it could be you've got the heater turned up.

#8 ·
Agree with Tricky on the Mk2 you can also see what is affecting the operation of the Start/Stop system.

If you go into 'Car' and click on the 'Start/Stop' button you can see what is affecting it.

I have seen everything from "the cabin temperature is not up to a comfortable level"; "The Car is on a an incline"; "A Door Is Open" etc

#10 ·
Obviously all conditions for S/S to work are listed in manual as well, but who bothers read them ;)

#14 ·
tedster said:
So, after two journeys today, it would seem that in winter if you want the S/S system to work, don't have the heating on in the car!
Or do what I do, switch off the start/stop on starting the car, as i have always done, both with the Tig and my previous golf. ;)

Steve

#15 ·
Essjay said:
tedster said:
So, after two journeys today, it would seem that in winter if you want the S/S system to work, don't have the heating on in the car!
Or do what I do, switch off the start/stop on starting the car, as i have always done, both with the Tig and my previous golf. ;)

Steve
Yep + 1

#16 ·
Have to say that since getting SS back in 2012 I now get paranoid about the fuel I'm using if the engine is idling when stopped and not shut off. I'm not sure why people want to turn it off, yes it can be a nuisance when crawling in stop go traffic, and then I too turn it off. But at normal, traffic stops I can't stand the thought of using up fuel and creating fumes for the minute or so stopped. At our local train station, controlled by barriers, the stop can be 5 to 15 minutes at a time. I wait till the car plus one in front of me pulls away before engaging start, and never have a problem with that being enough time to start moving along with the flow (both dsg in tig and manual in polo)

#17 ·
Always seems like a bit of a waste of time to me - how much fuel do you actually save by missing out a few seconds idling at the traffic lights?
More likely at allows manufacturers to tweak the emissions figure a bit based on theoretical use !

#18 ·
You can see what you lose by watching your average mpg go down while sitting here. Particularly on short urban journeys. Agreed if its a few seconds its not worth it, but over a minute or so it does become worth it, and cumulative if you've many pauses on your journey.

Sure it can help the manufacturers claim savings, but all published consumption is according to the EU standard, and whilst it can be cheated in lots of ways and the test is anything but typical motoring, there's no idling sections as far as I know.

As I've come to realise with my tig, driving briskly or slowly but continuously is best. My consumption suffers most on take off, even when gentle. Using both SS and coasting I find can add from 2 to 5 mpg to a journey. Give it a try, worst that can happen is it makes you think more about how to be economical....

#19 ·
So from what the 'computer' is telling me, in winter, if you want to utilise the s/s system, don't have the heater on, even in its lowest setting. I think my daily commute is long enough for the system to have warmed up by the end of my journey but it will not work unless the heater is off. Should I get it checked?

#20 ·
tedster said:
So from what the 'computer' is telling me, in winter, if you want to utilise the s/s system, don't have the heater on, even in its lowest setting. I think my daily commute is long enough for the system to have warmed up by the end of my journey but it will not work unless the heater is off. Should I get it checked?
I've found that once the car has warmed up, if you drop the temp to 22 degrees the stop start works reliably

#21 ·
My S/S has worked from day one and works fine with heaters on and seems to be working exactly the same as my previous Audi.

#22 ·
I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with mine. This morning the s/s system information told me that the engine has to be running to enable the s/s to work. Strange as I was traveling at 40mph at the time! Calling the dealership tomorrow I think.

#23 ·
I wouldn't worry about that message, saw this on SWMBO's polo yesterday, I was curious having seen the fact you can get the status of the SS from the dash display. I too was driving at the time :) seems like an unconnected standard error as it's SS is very consistent.

Perhaps others here could confirm this...

#24 ·
tedster said:
I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with mine. This morning the s/s system information told me that the engine has to be running to enable the s/s to work. Strange as I was traveling at 40mph at the time! Calling the dealership tomorrow I think.
I've just started seeing this message too, and the stop/start was working previously by this point on my commute...

Will see what happens over the next few days - as my drive is only about 10-15mins at most and never really longer, need to take it out for a longer drive and see!

#26 ·
So far I and my wife are super pleased with our Tiguan, EXCEPT for one issue, the damn Stop/Start.

Just an hour after picking up our new Tiguan, my wife nearly had a bingle at a roundabout, when she got a break in the traffic and went to go and that split second delay put us right in the path of an oncoming vehicle.

Thank goodness the other driver was right on the ball and missed us.

We live up in the Hinterland above the main Gold Coast area, all open roads. But once in town, just about every third intersection is a roundabout and some are large and busy.

The Stop/Start is of no advantage to use and the sooner someone comes up with a permanent software fix, the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.