Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I am missing something, but I have as yet been unable to store the parcel shelf under the boot floor. I have followed the little picture stuck to the reverse of the shelf, but it just doesn't fit...

Anyone managed to store theirs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe it is only possible to do this if you don't have the variable height boot floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can get this to work on my 1.4 TSI comfortline with the variable floor.
I struggled at first - then realised you had to remove the 2 plastic supports at the side first - put the parcel shelf in as instructed - then you can replace the 2 plastic supports after.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is that the plastic studs on the shelf it self ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I see the "American" version looks like its getting a retractable parcel shelf. I saw a review video and it definitely was retractable. Wonder if it will fit our models?

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are the plastic supports in the boot itself which separate the recesses at the side of the boot and if I remember right also serves as a support for the adjustable floor.
They slide out by pulling upwards.
However I do not have a spare wheel - this might change things.

Martin

·
Registered
835 Posts
cabby09 said:
I see the "American" version looks like its getting a retractable parcel shelf. I saw a review video and it definitely was retractable. Wonder if it will fit our models?
I know a lot of people dont like them because you cant store stuff on top of them.
Im a big fan, we had it on our old Renault scenic. Its on some other cars as well now I have noticed.
The Mazda CX5 has one.
I have always thought they are an after thought on such a modern car which they have spent shed loads on designing.

G

·
I have spacesaver spare wheel and variable boot floor.

The parcel shelf will not fit under the floor because it is too wide to fit between wheel arches - I've tried more than once! It's a great shame as the shelf is a devil to store elsewhere.

As regards carrying things on top of the shelf, contemporary safety concerns would be unhappy about loose objects becoming missiles should a collision occur!

·
Registered
627 Posts
There was a similar question to this previously around 2 months ago (sorry no time to search for it), but due to the doubts in that thread at that time, I made a point of asking my dealership when I picked up the car if this was possible.

The response was a clear "its not possible to do that".

Now whether he meant on the particular model I have, I don't know - I have got a variable floor height.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The shelf in the Škoda is the blind roll up, why not buy one of them?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I haven't tried to store mine yet, but I'm sure I read a thread that said you rotate it 180 degs to get it to fit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just remove the plastic parts at each side of the booth (right & left) top open up the compartment. Turn the parcel shelf upside down and and insert it with the widest parts into the space freed up by removing the plastic parts. Works perfectly.

Conferencing the retractable parcel shelf it is only available on tiguan allspace or the tiguan as it is called in the states.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gerge
You have a non UK model, do you have a spare wheel?
To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible to store the parcel shelf on UK spec vehicles (unless someone knows different).
With or without the side storage panels, face up or face down its still to wide for the distance between the wheel arches.
It would be great if someone could find a method to store the shelf, but previous discussions have not resolved it and I believe damage has been caused by some trying to force the shelf in.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
835 Posts
Roy said:
Gerge
You have a non UK model, do you have a spare wheel?
To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible to store the parcel shelf on UK spec vehicles (unless someone knows different).
With or without the side storage panels, face up or face down its still to wide for the distance between the wheel arches.
It would be great if someone could find a method to store the shelf, but previous discussions have not resolved it and I believe damage has been caused by some trying to force the shelf in.
Cheers
Roy
Or if VW had thought it through in the first place.

G

·
Just wondering if this applies to 2WD the same as 4WD? There could be differences in rear suspension that increases the width between the wheel arches?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stored it in my friend's car that is lacking the spare but has a variable trunk floor. Had a closer look in my car today (equipped with a spare and 4motion) and the engineers seem to have been too busy with the emissions tampering... The styrofoam is in the way so that the part with the broader section where the parcel shelf should go is obscured. Amazingly poor design, have not seen this from vw on my earlier models.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the photos. Mine is 4wd and I don't think it has the notches in the wheel arch carpeting, which would explain why doesn't fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can confirm that my Tig does have the notches, but the wheel arches encroach on the trunk space more than those on 2wd models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 4WD with spacesaver spare / dual height floor and have given up on the VW instructions to stow the parcel shelf but, I have successfully stored the shelf by sliding it along the slot moulded into the boot side panels.

First you need to gently fold the tranverse flap up and back so that it leads the sliding action along the slot. The rest of the shelf follows through until it is able to drop below floor level at the back. During the sliding the shelf is a snug medium friction fit, but not enough to cause any damage or concern.

The boot board can then be put back in position.

That's the good news, the bad news is that the plastic side panels cannot be inserted fully into their slots, but rest untidily on the parcel shelf.

I'd be interested in any comments.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts