Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it had to happen: the sunroof has now developed a rattle of sorts after approx. 5000 miles!!

Difficult to pinpoint but appears to be coming from somewhere over the passenger side, towards the front, and only when it's closed. If, say, the 'roof is only slightly opened, the rattle goes away but then returns again when closed.

I've yet to investigate fully as the weather / time of day hasn't been suitable, but was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and pinned it down to its whereabouts? Sounds akin to metal on metal so hopefully a dab or two of lithium grease will be the solution!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would start with cleaning the edges of the roof and aperture along with any seals you can access. Silicon spray on the seal may take away what may be an interference fit issue due to dirt that's accumulated over the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was a problem with first version of Tiguan, I am sorry it apears in new one also :( I have read a long topic about this on another forum(exactly the same symptoms as you have), people have noticed also leakage in some cases. The only option to finally fix the rattle for them was changing cassette of the sunroof. Hopefully grease will work for you as it did not in other cases.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It beggars belief that with all the hassle VW owners have had with rattling sunroofs that they've started fitting them as standard on various models.

·
Registered
835 Posts
jurego said:
It was a problem with first version of Tiguan, I am sorry it apears in new one also :( I have read a long topic about this on another forum(exactly the same symptoms as you have), people have noticed also leakage in some cases. The only option to finally fix the rattle for them was changing cassette of the sunroof. Hopefully grease will work for you as it did not in other cases.
was the thread on the other forum based on the tig 2 or the tig 1?
if on the tig 2. do you have a link?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wary about opening mine now. Not used it yet. Would like to see a poll of sunroof probs, those who have and those who havnt to give us an idea of the extent in Mk2's

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have opened mine up a few times (about 6 times) fully back & just having it on tilt.......my wife always hears any rattles not me as I'm a bit deaf, but I've asked her and she has not heard any. And she has just told me she has had it open on tilt a few times, so luckily no issues as yet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thats why I'd like to see a poll of the extent of Tigs affected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a rattle from the sun roof area above the passenger, however when the blind is opened it stops, so presume its that against the sun roof. I leave the blind open at the moment, may be worth seeing if yours does the same. There are a number of channels and mechanisms that can cause it. Sun roof itself doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine is ok up to now, no rattles or leaks but not used it yet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, I've only opened mine a few times and after the recent blast over the fells can report no rattles.

To be fair I only intend to open it to mount a 50 Cal for the wife to get rid of the middle lane hogs :lol: the idea of a sun roof with AC seems odd; but I may "get on the programme"

Looking at the large glass section behind it - do you think I could slip in a Hellfire battery for the "dualling" trucks ;)

:D Earl

·
Registered
835 Posts
jurego said:
Looking at various threads on one of the other main forums I can only find ones relating to the MK1 models, with only two posts in one thread referring to the MK2.
All the other threads I can find are all dated 2014 /15.
If you have a look at the user details on the left of the pages of what car most of the posters have its the Match line which is the MK1.
Does the MK2 use the same cassette as the MK1?
http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/38898-panoramic-roof-mk2/
In the link above the poster says that assuming that the new car uses the same cassette as the old one.
I could be wrong, but if the MK2 is longer than the MK1, wouldnt that make the roof longer as well resulting in a different cassette? and possibly a re-disgn of it slightly if problems from the MK1 were known about such as the leaking causing the cassette to be changed in one poster and in older threads. Or the same cassette and just longer glass behind it.
But if you read some of the older threads on the MK1's for general rattles else where in the car, it makes it quite scary looking for the MK2

·
Registered
339 Posts
Most of the so called rattles emanate from temperature related causes......contraction and expansion, which unfortunately is impossible to control. The mechanism on pano sunroofs work with the aid of cables which can stretch over a period of time, resulting in a loss of tension, which causes movement with a resultant rattle or squeak!

Water ingress can be caused similarly to the above however 'dry' seals are a common cause which can be resolved by applying a silicone type liquid lubricant to the seal which assists with not only the sealing properties but the malleability of the material in varying temperatures.

·
Registered
835 Posts
jurego said:
@Negativepitch yes MK1 and also many other VAG cars with the same issue. I`ve ordered sunroof aswell so I am a bit worried....Can any owner tell about headroom with sunroof? I am 191 cm = 6ft3in
Are they using the same cassette as the MK1. Also how current are the other cars?.
I am just interested thats all :) ...well worried like you, the other cars I have had have just had a panoramic glass roof non opening.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is not good news! I've just ordered a new Mk2 R Line which has the sunroof as standard. I've had a Mk1 R Line for 2 yrs and the only issue I've had was the rattling sunroof, worse in the cold weather, so it's been driving me nuts over the last few weeks. I would have had one without the sunroof if it was an option. It should be at the dealers this week so I think a bumpy test ride is in order, if it rattles at that stage I can always reject it as I've only paid the deposit so far.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've only heard a minor rattle from the sunroof a couple of times and always when there is a hard frost. The rattle soon disappeared when the car warmed up. Just a temporary issue related to freezing temperatures. Some recommend VW rubber lubricant for the roof seal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bulla43 said:
I've only heard a minor rattle from the sunroof a couple of times and always when there is a hard frost. The rattle soon disappeared when the car warmed up. Just a temporary issue related to freezing temperatures. Some recommend VW rubber lubricant for the roof seal.
Exactly my experience so far too, and on 6k miles now.

My tractor, on the other hand...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts