Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, toyed with having this fitted when I oredered the car but decided against it. Does anyone know if it can be retro fitted by the dealer?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think its listed in the accessories brochure as being available from dealer, but its about £1100 as opposed to £725 factory fit

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
£1100. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the info but I'll be giving it a miss at that price

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ask if they can do you a deal.......always worth a haggle ;) ....you never know Hartside :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
We don't even get to specify a towbar from new, and the ones that the dealer fit are not the swivel kind :-(

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dealer offered to fit an electric towbar at cost as part of the deal and was still nearly £1k so I gave it a miss. I went for a detachable with dedicated electrics for £635 from PF Jones ( including coding ) very good service and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rob_c said:
My dealer offered to fit an electric towbar at cost as part of the deal and was still nearly £1k so I gave it a miss. I went for a detachable with dedicated electrics for £635 from PF Jones ( including coding ) very good service and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.
£650... I can live with that!

I plan on heading to PFJ, once a suitable oppurtunity arises....
Which branch did you use?

Did they need to make any sort of bumper cut at all? Important, as my car is leased!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went for the bosal bar. There was a choice of 3 . No bumper cuts required with the bosal one. Surprisingly the westfalia bar did require non visible cuts even though they provide the vw Oem bar. All basically the same but the bosal was the cheapest .pf jones come to your home/work so no inconvenience, it all gets delivered to you beforehand and the fitter just turns up to fit it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob_c said:
I went for the bosal bar. There was a choice of 3 . No bumper cuts required with the bosal one. Surprisingly the westfalia bar did require non visible cuts even though they provide the vw Oem bar. All basically the same but the bosal was the cheapest .pf jones come to your home/work so no inconvenience, it all gets delivered to you beforehand and the fitter just turns up to fit it.
When the tow bar is detached, is there anything visible?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, it's completely invisible, the electrics socket pulls down when required and tucks up out of sight when not in use and the socket where the detachable ball locks in is out of sight so also nothing visible when not attached. The towball also can be locked on with a key if required.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle
. I've just taken a picture for you. There is a small loop as you can see between the left parking sensor and bumper centre, this is the bit you put your finger through to pull down the electrics socket but you have to look hard to see it and obviously when stood at normal height you would never see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that, it looks a good solution. I'm looking at one for a tow bar mounted bike rack as I've never liked the idea of a rack hanging off the back of a tailgate, and lifting bikes to a roof that high is the sort of thing a strained back is made of. Thanks for taking the time, appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The strange think is, i'm in Germany just now and a lot of Tiguans have their swivel towbars out all the time.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bob, I had a detachable Witter on my last Mondeo, that I left on all the time, as I thought it would protect the back of the car from idiots who couldn't give a t*ss when parking. I read the manual for the new Tig and it says this is a bad idea, as the towbar could create more damage to the car, if someone hits the rear - so mines now tucked away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts