Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my 2010 Tiguan tailgate worked fine this morning, but now it won't open and makes a noise when trying to open I let go noise stops, try again noise starts but nothing happening for it to open! Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Clive

·
Registered
627 Posts
Clive - don't mean to sound rude but this forum is primarily Mk2 tiguans so most are under warranty on here :)

However, it sounds like you might need to look at tailgate motor for it - if its a clunking / whirring / grinding noise, it sounds as if perhaps the motor has gone on it and its trying to go through the motions but failing. (assuming it is motor operated).

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,654 Posts
Hi Clive, I don't know if it's any help, but on the mk2 Tig you can manually open the tailgate with the key from inside the boot, if for instance the battery has been disconnected or is flat.

Although I don't know the mk1, I'm fairly sure there must be a similar system fitted, and I'm sure there are some former mk1 owners here who will know one way or the other.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
yes there is something like a slot on the inside of the tailgate, you can put your key in to mechanically push the release mechanism. Not a motor, the mk1 doesn't have a motorised tailgate, but sounds like the motorised lock release isn't releasing.

One thing you could try, if it's the catch tight against the receiving plate so it won't release, push on the tailgate tight against the car as you operate the release. This may give just enough clearance for the catch to release.

Post this in www.mytiguan.com this forum is for all variants of the tiguan, with hundreds of members like me with a mk1. There will be several who have disassembled the tailgate lock and can help you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.