Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my Tig this weekend for the first time in about 3 weeks due to bad weather.
I was very unhappy to find that the Chrome strips down each side of my SEL doors were tarnished and marked. ( I assume by road salt).
I tried to polish the tarnishing out but soon realised that it was impossible to get the marks fully .out.
When I am next close to the dealers I will be popping in to see what they have to say.
:x

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tigsel190 said:
I washed my Tig this weekend for the first time in about 3 weeks due to bad weather.
I was very unhappy to find that the Chrome strips down each side of my SEL doors were tarnished and marked. ( I assume by road salt).
I tried to polish the tarnishing out but soon realised that it was impossible to get the marks fully .out.
When I am next close to the dealers I will be popping in to see what they have to say.
Feel your pain Tigsel :(
Any photos?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Interesting, do you guys have mud flaps?

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tigsel190 said:
I used to have the same problem with a BMW and Audi Q7 I previously owned which Is a common phenomenon caused by calcium and sodium deposits found in our water. It becomes more of a problem in hard water areas and in the summer when water dries on your car after washing it, hence why you can purchase in-line water purifiers for rinsing your car down after washing.

:idea: Some swear by white vinegar and warm water to get rid of the stains. I personally use either automotive metal polish, a mild cutting compound or toothpaste can be a substitute. I have also heard of detailers using a lime scale spray that can be purchased in many supermarkets. After treatment a good car sealant application should "reduce" any further episodes. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.