Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is only my personal opinion. If you buy a vehicle with the higher centre of gravity, and ground clearance and don't mate it with AWD your insane.

If you don't think you can justify the need for 4 MOTION buy a normal hatchback or small MPV if you want the higher driving position.

Most Tiguans will be sold with 4 MOTION interesting the Nissan Dealer said to me most Qashqui's are 2WD and AWD takes longer to source !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi
The main reason I bought 4 motion is as follows:-
1. I live above the snowline (yes we do have one in Yorkshire) - and when the rest of the county is snow free my road and surrounding areas are covered....My Avant A4 is brilliant in snow and has never failed me getting to and back from work.....
2. The grip - however small might just come in handy one day - when the brake lights come on round that slippery bend in the road....!!
3. I have never owned a 4wd vehicle before. So my piggy bank was raided and I went to whole mile to ensure my R line is the best I can afford.

:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think it comes down to the region you live in.
I'm in Derbyshire so it gives me a greater chance of getting home if we have ice or snow as I live on a hill and cross the hills to get to work, of course a 2WD with snow tyres would help, 4WD with snow tyres is even better, it all depends on your needs.

If buying an SUV I'd buy the version that does the job it's designed to do.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you ever have a a 4 wheel drive you would never go back to 2. So much more secure in poor conditions and it does snow even down here in Essex!
Plus I do a lot of driving in muddy fields and tracks so invaluable.
I agree that if you don't need it buy a hatch back or MPV.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree with the above posts - it is not just about snow...it is about any surface that isnt dry tarmac...just better and safer,

It is a little bit like going to the pub and ordering a cup of tea!! (no offence to those on here who do that, mind you ! :) i just dont see the point! )

·
Registered
41 Posts
We visited 3 dealers whilst deciding where to buy our Tiguan from and all 3 (im in south east) recommended getting 4motion for residual reasons

At first we thought it was just a sales pitch to spend more, but when 3 dealers said the same mabye it was true. As we got a stock car we saw very quickly that 90% of them were 4motion

Otherwise as mentioned personal preference

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
:lol: I've also gone for 4 motion for greater stability. Not that anyone will know 'yetirider', as it will come de-badged and is not in my signature :lol:
Don't know why I'm laughing though, mine is still dormant at the docks !!! :roll: :x :x

·
Registered
37 Posts
In 99.9% of the time, the VW AWD will behave like a 2WD (Haldex -> 90% front/ 10% back in "normal" situation).
Now, for those 0.1% remaining, 4WD can certainly be a life saver.
It is nevertheless important to consider that 4WD will add wight (40 to 70kg if I remember correctly depending if DSG is also present) and will have higher running costs.
Regarding the snow topic, AWD can certainly help but only in combinaison with winter tires (AWD with inapropriate tires is useless).
My choice? AWD without a doubt (Switzerland in not exactly flat/dry in winter ;) )

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive had my 4WD since May. I didn't notice any difference in performance or handling, compared to 2WD. However an a recent very wet night, I find the 4WD much more sure footed when accelerating away at roundabouts, junctions etc, where the traction control on the 2WD would have been juddering the front wheels.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Echo what others have said. 4x4 without 4 wheel drive feels a little bit wrong. I'm not sure how much benefit I'll see with just 150bhp, I'm assuming with the weight and not a lot of power I'm not going to be struggling for traction but nice to know if I get some snow I'll not be stuck parking at the end of my drive like I have been in the past.

I've leased mine and 4 motion was significantly cheaper than the 2wd version so an easy choice. Does make you wonder how difficult a 2wd version might be to sell privately if 80% are willing to pay extra for 4 motion when new though

·
Registered
133 Posts
Excellent - well done - what colour did you decide on ?
I know I was agonising what to order and how much I wanted to pay etc etc - a few chewed finger nails !
Welcome to the forum - it seems as though the early joiners are a great bunch of people ...

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had 2 options as I need the car soon. Pure white but standard SEL and deep black pearlescent with Park Assist and Rear view camera. Went for the second option :)
Can't wait for the delivery :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,
Got confirmation from VW chat that it's on African Highway ship and I checked it arrived at the port yesterday.

Do you guys know how long does it usually take to get to dealer from that point?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
:D Hi runiuksp, after arriving at Grismby it took 9 days to get to my dealer :roll: , then there is the prep/paperwork signing etc so all in all 15 days for me...pick-up tomorrow...yipeee

·
Registered
261 Posts
stumpy said:
:D Hi runiuksp, after arriving at Grismby it took 9 days to get to my dealer :roll: , then there is the prep/paperwork signing etc so all in all 15 days for me...pick-up tomorrow...yipeee
Hope it goes well, don't forget the pics

·
Registered
339 Posts
yetirider said:
Hope it goes well, don't forget the pics
+1 ;)

Cannot wait for the review either, but I'll give you the benefit of a couple of days playtime first! :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts