Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am eagerly waiting for my car, which will have a TDI 190 engine, I would appreciate if those of you who already got their machines share some experiences about it.

I test-drove one for a day. It was a DSG version. It seamed excellent. When hammering the throttle it pulled nicely, and i could only feel the gear change from 2-3 and the rest were almost unnoticeable. Anyone else has the same experience?

What about the MPG (please comment your driving style and the amount of city driving)?

Anything else worth mentioning about it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
My first 2000 mile impressions.
Powerful engine with great mid range torque. Engine keeps pulling all the way up to top speed, which I like in this engine.
However, pulling away from a standstill is slightly disappointing, as all VAG 2Lt diesels, in that they run out of puff in low gears. Doesn't matter about how quick or slow the DSG changes, it's still slow and jerky and sounds awful. (It's a SUV after all and quite a weight, so I must remind myself when driving it's not a sports car).
Millage was not good to begin with as trying to run in properly, so averaging not more than 27mpg. I was using the car gently and having short journeys which did not help. Also found the cat was regenerating quite often. Now further down the line, I'm driving a little more aggressively and the engine is feeling better and I'm starting to enjoy the drive. Funnily enough the harder I drive the better the MPG. This engine obviously needs to be hot and driven not like a nun, which I was doing. Now getting average 35mpg, but now driving faster and not worrying about the MPG.

Sport and normal are both good and the engine performs well. Eco I thought would be 'Eco', but it's not. Mpg in my opinion doesn't really improve, engine seems to regenerate more and I don't like the lack of engine braking. I'm finding I'm having to use the brakes more and don't like that way of driving. I guess what savings you are making in Eco your spending on brake linings ;)

Enjoy. It does seem that this car grows on you more, as you get used to its driving style.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Those figures sound really poor, hopefully it will get better as it's run in. But yea I don't think I've ever hammered a diesel off the line through the gears, it's kind of pointless!

I drive an A6 190 Ultra Avant which I would assume is a similar engine, and it's really nice with a broad spread of power from very low down and stays smooth and nice to higher revs (doesn't run out of puff like many TDIs). I dont notice any jerkiness at low speed gearchanges but again never really use more than moderate acceleration which feels nice and responsive (it can surprise how responsive it is - it doesn't feel sluggish). This engine will return mid 50s if driven gentely/on a run. Current long term average is 43mpg over 7500miles which is pretty good for a big estate car IMO. I think a 4MOTION Tiguan may be heavier though as the A6 uses a lot of aluminium panels.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am a bit surprised by your low mpg too. I have a SEL TDI 190 which I love. I have now done 12,000 miles with no issues. I live in the country but get around 40-43 mpg poodling around locally and 45-49 mpg on long motorway runs (occasionally over 50 mpg but I do tend to push it to the speed limit). I tend to use normal for most long runs and locally and use sport for twisty roads when I want better handling and response as I have DCC too. This is much better mpg than I have had in several Audi A4s with 2ltr TDI engines. I agree that its not at its best pulling away but I don't find it that bad and it really flies if you put your foot down. I love it on motorways when I have had someone tailgating me in speed limited road works and they get left for cold when limit ends.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re the comment about lack of engine braking, do you have freewheeling enabled?. With the DSG they have conventional clutches so no torque slip so engine brakes well, and it changes down as you slow down, unless in freewheel.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I also don't think the gearbox/driving modes alter mpg much either, in fact it's just more how you drive the car than anyting else. I often drive in sport mode to stop it dropping in to 7th too early, and for better response in other gears, but it has a negligible effect on economy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tricky When in Eco the freewheeling is activated, can you deactivate it in Eco under personalisation mode? It's OK driving along unhurried on hilly undulating roads, but I don't particularly like it round town at all.

Three months and still obviously learning what all the functions are about!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Terrible mpg figures from the second poster. Wow... i drive how I want to in the 150 and get 39.5mpg average.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for reply guys.

@hantshog I guess you really like to drive aggressively. I presume that is not good with diesels especially on short trips when engine does not get warm enough.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi just a bit more data

I get about 42 MPG with a mix of town and motorway (35%:65%) usually using "normal" after 8000 miles. The first 6000 fuel economy was dire but now seems to be picking up.

Torque is good but not at low revs so if you want to get away quick its full throttle but after 20mph it flys away. One point the throttle is fly by wire and I think it's been given a logarithmic curve - the first 30% pedal movement is only about 10% open, I suspect this is to stop people accelerating away when they only wanted to turn off the auto brake and trickle forward. This may give the impression of a "laggy" engine

I also don't see a lot of difference in the settings Eco = 44mpg, Normal = 42 and Sport = 41 over the same 200-mile run; twice each.

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is there not a driver mode to alter throttle response?

Otherwise you can fit a PedalBox which sounds like a waste of money but makes a MASSIVE difference, sharpening throttle response even it's just done by altering the throttle map curve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jesus 27.5mpg!

I wanted the 190 instead of my 150, but don't think i could live with that sort of mpg!

My 150 manual is driven harshly to redline & has averaged 49mpg over first 2000 miles lifetime, gets 58-60 on motorway cruising manually, 55 with acc on (50 mile journeys)

·
Registered
239 Posts
MattPollard said:
Jesus 27.5mpg!

I wanted the 190 instead of my 150, but don't think i could live with that sort of mpg!

My 150 manual is driven harshly to redline & has averaged 49mpg over first 2000 miles lifetime, gets 58-60 on motorway cruising manually, 55 with acc on (50 mile journeys)
If 27.5mpg is correct that is very disappointing , I am averaging 8.2Ltr/100km which I believe is 35mpg in my petrol a mixture of autobahn and main roads.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If someone is really getting only 27.5 mpg there must be some fault as I get 43 mpg on short journeys and 45-49 on motorways and I don't hang around. As far as I can see there is no appreciable difference in mpg between 150 and 190.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry, it looks like I'm causing unnecessary concern for the reputation of the 190 Tdi engine.
As explained earlier, the first 1000 miles were terrible and the cat regen was coming on quite often, that was a cause of my driving style and the small journeys I was doing. I was so trying to run the engine in, in my own way and at the time, I didn't have the requirement of the long runs for whatever reasons.

The total picture I should have included, was the average speed for that period of millage was only 27 mph, which explains the appalling mpg. Since then I've started to put my foot down and 'enjoying' the car. Long 'Dad trips' to airports etc.. and the millage is getting so much more acceptable.

I still haven't seen the +40s as some of you are reporting so perhaps will ask when up for service, to check it out.

Before anyone asks why diesel for the small amount of miles I'm covering, coming from a 130 audi a4 avant, which is 14 years old and a VW 110 GTdi 17 years old neither of which had a franchised service, only regular oil and filter change (by me :geek: ) and are both still with us. They have never had anything major go wrong with them, not even had any part of the exhaust replaced. That's why I'm sticking to the VAG diesel, they seem to be pretty reliable and you can't beat the 30 to 90 torque. A bit tongue in cheek in all of this, but don't not get the 190 from my reported MPG - as I'm sure it's still getting better. I also carry a boot load of tools and all my paraphernalia 24/7 which won't help!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm ok now I am worried about going for the 190. I am just about to place an order tomorrow for it and i would have hoped 50mpg is possible.
Anyone got the 190 dsg? What mpg can you expect?

·
Registered
151 Posts
RH85 I wouldn't worry as I have said before I get 45-49 on long runs and that is pushing on. This is with a TDI 190 SEL with DSG (they are all DSG at least in UK), I have got over 50 but only when trying eg steady 60/65 not pushing it. From what I have seen of other posts re mpg there isn't any significant difference in mpg between 190 and 150.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ive got the 190bhp and getting 40mpg on short journeys. No longer one yet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
MattPollard said:
Jesus 27.5mpg!

Why would you drive it harshly to he redline, it sounds awful inside and out :lol: and isn't much faster than short shifting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got the 190 TDI, 4M.

I haven't driven much(1670km) yet so MPG is at 37(0,77L/10km for the moment. ( Diesel heater used here since it was cold, not sure if it counts towards the MPG)

The best i've ever gotten was in a demo car that was broken in, 45/46ish MPG.

Anything above that is just silly to be expecting from an almost 2 Ton SUV.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts