Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

So after scouring the forums and with a little bit of my own experience I'm let with some confusion.

It is clear that the Tiguan gets its traffic updates via TMC which is quite slow at updating and I've seen this for myself. Thing is, on three separate occasions when I have connected the car to my phones hotspot (iPhone so its a bit of a mission) it appeared that the navigation map screen updated with 'new' traffic information quite quickly as if these came from a different source - carnet maybe?
I'm just wonder if it was purely coincidental or if you can get faster more realtime traffic updates via car-net/internet?
If you can, it's the best possible reason for me to get a dongle when I drive up to Scotland next week.

Does anyone have any thoughts or similar experience of this?

Many thanks
Sean

·
Registered
953 Posts
Last Friday night I went out using the nav and was warned that it had rerouted me due to trafic, but do agree it is slow to update

G

·
Very impressed a few weeks ago. Using built in satnav to travel up to Scotland via Edinburgh bypass it took me off bypass to avoid heavy congestion. Route ducked and dived either side of bypass but rejoined just before Forth road bridge. Brilliant! As far as I recall iphone was connected(plugged in).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Seanvdv,

I can confirm Tig Satnav uses traffic from Carnet as well when there is a Wifi available (Wingle or phone hotspot) for it the get the updates. Source of the updates can be checked by using "traffic" button.
However I tend to use Google Maps via Android Auto as it brings very quick traffic updates from Google and allows me to control everything by voice commands using button on the steering wheel i.e. "navigate to Ikea Southampton".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all,
A sure reason to get a dongle thingy for perm wifi. I like the 'send destination to car' feature of the very app so a winner overall.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
SlimPollack said:
Hi Seanvdv,

I can confirm Tig Satnav uses traffic from Carnet as well when there is a Wifi available (Wingle or phone hotspot) for it the get the updates. Source of the updates can be checked by using "traffic" button.
However I tend to use Google Maps via Android Auto as it brings very quick traffic updates from Google and allows me to control everything by voice commands using button on the steering wheel i.e. "navigate to Ikea Southampton".
I like the idea of a button on the steering wheel dedicated to navigating to Ikea Southampton...... :lol:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tricky said:
I like the idea of a button on the steering wheel dedicated to navigating to Ikea Southampton...... :lol:
Well, it could be your favourite pub or VW dealer.... :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi

I use both systems to get the best out of them

- the Tig with a wingle is good but it is pessimistic :eek: it appears to assume that a delay extends all the way between motorway junctions
- looking on Google I often see the jam stopping about 500 yards after the junction, but I hate the 3D display :cry:

Cheers

Earl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts