Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the majority of Tiguan (mk1 certainly) owners opted for 4WD (unlike many of its competitor car owners) which I assume amongst other things, makes for better residual values but I wanted to know how much or many times, do you use 4WD (or put yourself in a position where it is necessary ?

So whilst my Kuga was only 2WD and I don't recall remembering ever (apart from when we had that really bad snow 2011 was it) thinking I only wish I had 4WD now. So despite this, I have ordered the Tig with 4WD so I am wondering how much value it will really add?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think it's nice to have it there. Mainly for dry/wet/slippery conditions. In the snow its not really any better unless you have the proper tyres.
If you put winter tyres on a RWD car, that would be better than AWD without.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Aside from off road ability 4WD will probably make the car more sure footed in marginal conditions, you will suffer comparatively with slightly worse fuel consumption. Oh and the extra 50% on your RFL at the next budget.

Me, I've gone for 2WD

The bit about the budget is purely speculation... ;)

sbird1975 said:
If you put winter tyres on a RWD car, that would be better than AWD without.
We rented a Toyota Aris a few years ago whilst in Norway, unexpected snowfall at Easter had us digging the car out of snow over its roof to drive 60 odd miles to the airport. The winter tyres were an absolute revelation, couldn't quite believe how drivable the car was.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The latest Haldex system from VW is a continually regulating AWD system (calling it 4WD is my pet peeve, as it's commonly referenced to different 4x4 systems), where I believe 100% of the power can be sent to any single wheel as necessary. Although not mechanically controlled, with the likes of Audi's full Quattro system, it can react to situations much quicker than its competitors (however xDrive works in similar ways), and is a worthy option to consider.

Having said that, you don't need snow to reap its benefits. Wet, gravel, steeper inclines/declines.. try the same in a non-AWD car and you will begin noticing the nuances of its absence. It is front wheel bias (although not entirely), but since the power is continually changing between the wheels, higher consumption is always expected with 4MOTION VW's.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's also perfect when you get in a awkward situation with a caravan on the back like when trying to move of from an inclined gravel pitch where a front wheel drive only will struggle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
OP ....values.

I am no trader, but reading various sites it seems that second hand (relatively) hi spec car buyers are often skewed in favour of AWD. They expect it. Hence higher s/h values based on higher purchase price + demand?

However with increasing environmental awareness and tax burdens this may change?

I have AWD for practical reasons, and so willing to pay cost penalty
where I live is badly affected by muddy, slippery hills. BMW saloon a nightmare!
Towing too, boats not caravans .
However there is a part of me which says what's the point of a offroad style suv if not AWD?
Might be better off with a people carrier? Touran? Guess that's a bit cheaper and has more space/seats?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Once you have had a car with it you won't want one without. So much more stable and surefooted in wet. I do use mine off-road as I am often in muddy fields fishing and my Tiguan sailed through when we had to pull other 4x4s out last summer.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
salmonfisher said:
Once you have had a car with it you won't want one without. So much more stable and surefooted in wet.
I agree, currently have a Yeti with 4x4 which we're chopping in for the Tig and it is great in the wet and snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts