Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the problems we had with the Qashqai this Tig seems to be a bit to dayshavoo
Now the one wing mirror gears are making a crunching noise when opening. probably just needs greasing or something but means they will have to mess with it.
And when you press just the ignition start button there is some kind of small motor sound in the dash area as if its adjusting something but just keeps going over and over.

Edit to this

15 minutes later I am now getting an amber airbag warning.

Edit two.
Just been on the phone about rejecting the car which we are entitled to having just phoned consumer advice which I already knew but just wanted to double check.
I dont want them pulling the car apart even if its just a little bit as its just opening up a can of worms as we found out with our QQ. And also having spent the amount of money we did in cash on the Tig.
I'll keep this updated.

By the way, my user name is a model helicopter term not a frame of mind :mrgreen:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woes.....I would be absolutely livid if I had spend such a large amount of cash on what is supposed to be a "superior" build car only to find it had issues. It would really spoil the whole experience. That said I am sure Volkswagen will do their best to sort it out for you and as you can see from the links below its best to follow a set of guidelines to ensure that when you do reject the car it has followed the ideal process.

I saw this and thought it may help you

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights - this guys is pretty switched on as the legals involving cars

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/34744/rejecting-a-new-or-used-car-top-tips

Interestingly this will apply to your car I think

"A new law called the Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into effect on 1st October 2015, giving car buyers the right to reject a faulty car within 30 days and ask for a full refund.
This differs from the previous protection afforded to consumers under the Sale of Goods Act, which the Consumer Righrs Act replaces.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers all goods but is of particular interest to carbuyers, given the significant cost of purchasing a car and the subsequent impact if things go wrong.

A clause in the law known as "early right to reject" specifies that any fault found within 30 days of buying a product entitles the buyer to a full refund. After that period, but within six months, the seller or manufacturer has one opportunity to replace or repair. If that fails, the customer is then entitled to a full or part-refund.

The specifics of the new law are designed to make it clearer for both sellers and buyers, according to the Citizen's Advice Bureau, as well as handing more rights to the consumer. Practical examples and a more detailed explanation of the new law can be found at the Citizen's Advice website, by clicking here.

In more extreme cases, the new Act also gives buyers the chance to settle disputes with a seller more quickly and cost effectively, using an Ombudsman rather than going through the courts. This is known as Alternative Dispute Resolution."

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.
We will have to see how its goes.
I did ring the service department and mentioned I might reject the car, I also spoke to the sales person, who was the manager of the sales team and did mention it to him, I think it came as a bit of a shock.
We are not going to go through what we went with with our QQ all over again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Reading through the two links it seems as though the first 6 months are crucial - in a nutshell the car is expected to work perfectly - after 6 months then the onus is on you to prove that it was faulty and hasn't become so due to fair wear and tear....

It also seems that they have three attempts to put it right then you have a strong case to reject.
The downside is that to enhance your claim you shouldn't really use the car at all :shock:

Good luck but stick to your guns - you have shelled out a big amount of cash for an item that should be perfect.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an online friend that works for Land Rover and he has just quoted me this, so something to try as well.

"You could ask if the History card at the assembly plant shows any work having been done that affects these issues you have.
Also if any faults were recorded on the Customer Acceptance Line at the plant."

As far as not using the car, I can handle that as we have a second car I can use, they can keep the car there from next friday.

Flippin eck, I only just really started using the forum as well :lol:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldnt you flippin believe it, just re-sat in the car, the motor noise has stopped (worked out it was to do with the direction of the air in the air con deep within the dash someplace) and the wing mirror has stopped making the crunching sound..still have the airbag warning though

·
Registered
339 Posts
Negativepitch said:
I have an online friend that works for Land Rover and he has just quoted me this, so something to try as well.

"You could ask if the History card at the assembly plant shows any work having been done that affects these issues you have.
Also if any faults were recorded on the Customer Acceptance Line at the plant."

As far as not using the car, I can handle that as we have a second car I can use, they can keep the car there from next friday.

Flippin eck, I only just really started using the forum as well :lol:
Negativepitch I have privately purchased somewhere in the region of 34 new cars over the past 25 years and during those years I have also unfortunately encountered on several occasions the scenario you find yourself in at this present time. I would also go as far as to confirming that I have been employed in the motor industry for 30 years of which 17 years were actually spent at Land Rover in Solihull. Your friend is correct that all vehicles have build history documents, which records the production process and all relevant data plus any re-work that has been carried out. However these records and data are only available in cases of vehicle recalls, component traceabiiity and in extreme cases where there might of been a fatality in a car to which mechanical or design features have been a major contributor to that fatality.

My advice to you would be to set up an appointment with the head of business at the selling dealer along with the service manager, at which time you will have the opportunity to express your concerns both verbally and in writing. At this point it is important that the issues that you have with the car are confirmed and to ascertain the process and procedure to conclude your concerns to your satisfaction.

If it is determined that your Tiguan has clear quality issues the head of business may offer either a repair accompanied with a gesture of goodwill (either accessories or cashback) or ultimately if the issues you have raised are legitimate (not saying for one moment they are not) they could offer a replacement or as I have encountered before, a refund with a polite "take your business elsewhere" attitude.

You could also involve VW customer services and if financed via VW you could also advise them too as they have a vested interest in the vehicle. However at this stage I think it maybe better to involve just the dealer as that is with whom your sales contract is with. My experience of VW customer services is that they will liaise with the dealer but ultimately do not get involved in legal disputes for the aforementioned reasons.

If you get no joy you have the legal option but trust me, from experience the only winners in that scenario are the lawyers!

All the best!

Dave

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Bl**dy'ell Dave 'GTD184'.......good info, .....good to know there are some knowledgeable people on this forum.... :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Negativepitch said:
Cheers for the info Dave.
No problem ;) ....if I can help in any way I will, just give me the nod!

stumpy said:
Bl**dy'ell Dave 'GTD184'.......good info, .....good to know there are some knowledgeable people on this forum.... :)
As previously mentioned I have a long and varied history within the motor industry predominately in manufacturing and R&D level including cars, trucks, buses, taxis and rolling stock (Trains). In relation to cars my experience is in Power train, final assembly, quality systems and vehicle test.

Although my employment does not extend directly to automotive retail I have purchased so many cars over the years my knowledge and subsequent experience gained in that business stream has lead me to have a better knowledge in this field than some of the staff! :oops: ................So I'm more than happy to help out where I can! ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an up date.
My active info display has crashed twice (gone blank whilst driving) only came back after restarting the car.
The electronic hand brake would not release all day yesterday, had to manually release it.
Rejection letter posted.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Wow, I really do feel for you NP. It seems you've got yourself one of the famous "late Friday afternoon" models.
Hope you're not put off the Tiguan after all of your woes. I know it's no consolation, but the 'badduns' seem to be a very tiny minority.
Will you be ordering another, or will they replace it?

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
:shock: Yep...same as 'Essjay' really feel for you 'Negativepitch', it knocks ones confidence :cry: .....let's hope 'Volkswagen group' are far better than your previous experience with 'Nissan' in sorting this situation out quick for you, and some redress :|

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yikes - what a nightmare - Now the fun will really start as you will really have to play hardball with them.
The car does sound very bad....and thats such a shame as buying a new car should be an exciting fun experience as you become the proud owner of what should be a perfect piece of engineering.....

Keep us in the loop here as we are routing for you and a successful outcome....from your symptoms it sounds as the electrics on your new car are well below working standard and causing all your woes. :idea:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Latest updates.
Well they received the rejection letter yesterday and we handed the keys in today.
They left a message for me to ring them this afternoon.
They have road tested it and cant find any problems...doesnt it always end up that way.
They have it on test at the moment to see if it throws up any error codes.
The one thing they did say was that the info screen (the one thats shows the main radio stations and sat nav etc) wasnt clipped in on one corner which I hadnt even noticed.
But they said that if there are any faults shown up they would be happy to take the car back...........
The main big thing that dropped my jaw onto the flaw was....
If because we had lost confidence in the car even if nothing shows up, they would be quite happy to buy the car back from us!!!!
Decisions Decisions :?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, an honourable dealer...rare find indeed! Feel sorry you have had so many problems...really does sound like a 4:30pm Friday build... and somebody's birthday hosted at 5pm in the bar round the corner with the promise of free beer!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well - you have fallen lucky there - personally I would swap it out. You have experienced a bad motor before and all the heartache that gave you.
This (up to press) has been a nightmare for you as well and having spent so much on what should be a perfect motor is far from it.!

For me it would be a matter of trusting it to be reliable now......and not just now but in three or five years time.
Dealerships are well aware of customer rights now and VW in particualr certainly do not need any more bad press.
The issue is if you keep it now then your right to swap if it goes wrong in the future will be drastically reduced !

It no hardship for the dealer - the car will be returned to VW and they will get their money back.....

Not sure what others think but as stated above - get it swapped and if you have to wait make sure they provide you with some other car for transport if you are without !

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good write up and some good tips and advice in the latest edition of WhatCar magazine regarding car rejection. Apparently car rejection makes up a majority of readers letters sent into the WhatCar help desk office.

Based on the aforementioned basis it appears new car quality is not as good as we would like to think! :shock:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We are thinking of going for a different model, the SEL DSG instead.
Having never driven a DSG before, how are people finding it on the car.
As in another Thread I started, the SEL apart from the body kit seems to have the same things, apart from seats and pedals and logos.
We would have liked to have stuck with the R Line but in an DSG form, but thats out of our price range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts