Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiguan Haldex Clutch Pump Replacement?

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JK-VWTiguanR 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Tiguan, and at a regular service the mechanic discovered the system is showing a static fault with the Haldex Clutch Pump that cannot be cleared. Was advised to order a (expensive) replacement pump, or my car will only run on 2WD. Couple of questions

1. I don’t need AWD, so wonder if I can avoid replacement. Will other damage be caused to my car when driving with a damaged clutch pump?

2. Even if I’m willing to fix the problem, does it need to be a replacement? I’ve done a search and this seems be a recurring issue with Tiguan that arises due to the pump filter? Found an article that says a new pump may just fail again if the filter is not properly cleaned.

3. Could a Haldex oil change fix the problem? Read some posts to this effect, and my mechanic did say the oil change was supposed to be performed as part of this service, but they did not do it as it’s pointless since the pump itself is faulty…?

#2 ·
2014 is mk1 Tiguan, this is a mk2 forum. That said the Haldex pump carries across to all 4wd models.

the cheapest thing to start with is removing and cleaning the haldex filter/strainer. It should be done routinely and does get clogged with what some people call “frog spawn” which is really old thickened oil and clutch pack material. It could be that because of clogging the system has defaulted to, or unable to, run the 4wd. So Id clean it, clear any error codes and see if that works. vw dealers do offer the cleaning and re-oil service for about £90 I believe. If that doesn’t work then the Haldex pump has failed due to the pressure build up of trying to work, but clogged, so the only option is to have the pump swapped, if you want to get the 4wd back. i think a pump replacement is about £200 for parts, plus fitting which needs to ensure the pump is programmed, I think it’s a “pump learn“ process that dealers use or it can be done on vcds.

you can run the car as a 2wd. In fact I suspect you didn’t realise it had broken in the main. It just means that your dragging around the 4wd axles etc without ever actually having 4wd, so it’ll cost you in fuel a bit more, it couldn’t say for sure if never running the 4wd would cause damage to anything like the couplings etc.

if you do the Haldex oil change or actually replace the pump do always maintain it. I’d say annually or at least every 2 year, 20000 miles I’d be cleaning the strainer and changing the Haldex oil. That’s more frequent than vw suggest, but having seen a lot of really grotty strainers that’s what I would do personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.