Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Tiguan R Line and Coachman VIP Caravan

10K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  E-bee 
#1 ·

A few photos of our 2016 Tiguan R Line, 2 ltr, 190 hp, Indium Grey and 2015 Coachman VIP 520/4 caravan. Tows like a dream

Hope you like them

Clive

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be interested if you Guys have any moments where your van feels slightly unstable or scittish over potholes or overtaking lorries on motorway.

#3 ·
The caravan has ATC fitted which seems to hold it firm to the road.Coming back home down the A1 we were in 7th gear at 60 mph overtaking lorries and didn't feel any sway at all but on our previous caravan without ATC we definiely would have felt a sway.

#4 ·
Thanks for the pics Tractorboy, nice combo. Agree with you about how well the 190 tows and how effective the ATC is over previous non ATC vans. Gives you so much confidence especially when going down long hills on motorways etc stays solid on the road.

#5 ·
Great pics Tractorboy...I'm down your way in the middle of the week to Sandringham site :)

#6 ·
Andyw said:
I would be interested if you Guys have any moments where your van feels slightly unstable or scittish over potholes or overtaking lorries on motorway.
Yes I have Andyw for the first time away a couple of weeks back.....Having said that, a complete new set up.... new Tig and different caravan (Swift challenger SE 580). A couple of times that's all. In all my 35 yrs driving lorries ( Artics 40 / 60 footers) and caravans 30 yrs it is the first time I have experienced it. I have meticulously weighed everything and just underweight. and have got 85% nose weight.
I did find putting the settings on the Tig to sport set-up helped a bit. But this week I'm away I am going to keep my tyres on the Tig normal as instead of the higher load pressure as Roy has suggested and but my awning on the axle albeit a fraction in front to add a bit of weight instead of having it in the boot. Also this is the first time I have had ATC on a van. I am away again this week, so will see what happens.

#7 ·
stumpy said:
Andyw said:
Yes I have Andyw for the first time away a couple of weeks back.....Having said that, a complete new set up.... new Tig and different caravan (Swift challenger SE 580). A couple of times that's all on the m/way from Lancs to Hereford.
In all my 35 yrs driving lorries ( Artics 40 / 60 footers) and caravans 30 yrs it is the first time I have experienced it. I have meticulously weighed everything and just underweight. and have got 85% nose weight.
I did find putting the settings on the Tig to sport set-up helped a bit. But this week I'm away I am going to keep my tyres on the Tig normal as instead of the higher load pressure as Roy has suggested and but my awning on the axle albeit a fraction in front to add a bit of weight instead of having it in the boot. Also this is the first time I have had ATC on a van. I am away again this week, so will see what happens.

#8 ·
Stumpy,both the Sandringham sites are really good although The Caravan and Camping Club site isn't so regimental.We live only about 15 miles from Sandringham and it's great to go there for a quick weekend trip.
Hope you have a great time there.

#9 ·
Tractorboy said:
Stumpy,both the Sandringham sites are really good although The Caravan and Camping Club site isn't so regimental.We live only about 15 miles from Sandringham and it's great to go there for a quick weekend trip.
Hope you have a great time there.
Hi mate....this will be our first time at Sandringham, we are stopping at the MH&Caravan club site. Just hope the weather bucks up ;)

#10 ·
I think the weather improves towards this weekend.
There is a good fish and chip van that turns up some evenings I'm sure you will have a good time.

#11 ·
Thanks for that Stumpy, my caravan is a Swift Sterling Eccles SE also with ATC. I'll have to try mine in Sport next time although it was in normal. The Passat CC never felt unsettled even if I nudged 70mph.
Seems strange, wondering if it was due to the firmer suspension, or wheels closer to towbar, 4 wheel drive. I'm not sure.
Also Milenco extended mirrors don't seem to clamp on too well with the mirror being tapered. Also remember the mirrors will catch the windows when the mirrors fold in!

#12 ·
Tractorboy said:
I think the weather improves towards this weekend.
There is a good fish and chip van that turns up some evenings I'm sure you will have a good time.
haha...hopefully, thanks for the heads-up on the chippy van :)

#13 ·
Interested to know what tow bars you guys have fitted and if you've had any issues with tow ball height. I went for the factory fit swivel bar which is a Westfalia but the tow ball height sits at 465mm to the middle with the car unladen. When I put my car transporter trailer on it sits nose up but I am still able to achieve a positive nose weight of around 90kg. I have only done one journey so far and it seemed OK to me.
Any advice from experienced 'towers' welcomed.

#14 ·
The towball height is certainly higher than the Audi Q5 that we had before the Tiguan.The only problem we have had is that as our drive is very steep when I first went to back the caravan up it would have grounded at the back if the copilot hadn't shouted so I have made a drop plate to fit on the ball hitch when I am putting the caravan away.Apart from that as I said earlier the car pulls the caravan a dream.

#15 ·
Hi E-bee
Firstly I think most of us who tow opted for the VW swivel tow bar. It's a great bit of kit but for caravaners it's lack of space between the ball and back bumper means you have to be careful hooking up with a stabiliser head.
I guess your trailer will not have one of these.
I have always understood that a trailer, whatever it is should ride level or at worst slightly nose down and never nose up.
I am sure tow ball height has been reviewed before but I can't remember the topic.
Your hitch does seem high, can't remember my height. When it stops raining will try and get measurement. I believe it should be around 420mm according to Alko.
The only solution, if manufacturer approves is to lift the hitch on the trailer since you can't change tow ball height.
Cheers
Roy

#17 ·
Just for clarification, the ATC is NOT a dynamic stabilisation, it's actually quite a coarse (but effective) tool. If you're finding towing stable this will be down to the towhitch stabiliser, and probably the stabilisation program on the Tig which is dynamic.

I had once instance of the ATC operating, and boy do you know, it applies the brakes on the caravan and it's like someone dropped an anchor. My situation was I'd actually left a rooflight open vertical after a lunch stop, and this acted like a sail in a cross wind and caused a yaw, before I'd even picked it up the whole car was yanked backwards and lost about 20+mph in an instant.

Enjoy your towing....

(My outfit Mk1 tig, 2015 177ps 4motion DSG and Bailey Unicorn, mk2 Madrid)

#18 ·
Tricky said:
Just for clarification, the ATC is NOT a dynamic stabilisation, it's actually quite a coarse (but effective) tool. If you're finding towing stable this will be down to the towhitch stabiliser, and probably the stabilisation program on the Tig which is dynamic.

I had once instance of the ATC operating, and boy do you know, it applies the brakes on the caravan and it's like someone dropped an anchor. My situation was I'd actually left a rooflight open vertical after a lunch stop, and this acted like a sail in a cross wind and caused a yaw, before I'd even picked it up the whole car was yanked backwards and lost about 20+mph in an instant.

Enjoy your towing....

(My outfit Mk1 tig, 2015 177ps 4motion DSG and Bailey Unicorn, mk2 Madrid)
Thanks for the info Tricky, as I have never had ATC before now. I will now know what to expect if it is triggered.

#19 ·
Roy said:
Hi E-bee
Firstly I think most of us who tow opted for the VW swivel tow bar. It's a great bit of kit but for caravaners it's lack of space between the ball and back bumper means you have to be careful hooking up with a stabiliser head.
I guess your trailer will not have one of these.
I have always understood that a trailer, whatever it is should ride level or at worst slightly nose down and never nose up.
I am sure tow ball height has been reviewed before but I can't remember the topic.
Your hitch does seem high, can't remember my height. When it stops raining will try and get measurement. I believe it should be around 420mm according to Alko.
The only solution, if manufacturer approves is to lift the hitch on the trailer since you can't change tow ball height.
Cheers
Roy
Hi Roy, thanks for reply, I agree it's a great bit of kit but does lack space between the ball and bumper, I don't have a stabiliser head but it's still very close, I use a homemade bumper protector just in case. My understanding was also that the trailer should ride level or slightly nose down but all I can seem to find when searching for the correct set up is that there should be a positive notice weight.
I had the same thoughts as you that the only solution may be to raise the hitch on the trailer, think I need to contact Brian James Trailers and see what they say.
Cheers
Andy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.