Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, wonder if anyone can help. I'm potentially looking to cancel my R-Line 190ps Petrol as it's been pushed back to unconfirmed build end August / beginning of September (which would be a approx 12 months from ordering, to just build and over 12 months or more for delivery). I'm therefore looking at alternatives and have seen fairly locally a ex-demonstrator 71 plate R in Lapis blue which looks beautiful.

It's pretty well optioned but is obiovusly going to cost more then the R-Line and will cost more to run and insure, but I was wondering if any Tiguan R owners on here could chime in with their daily average MPG estimates. I know you don't buy an R to be economical, and I also know I shouldn't expect too much but my current 2018 GTI is averaging just over 35mpg for it's lifetime (67 fills up), and I anticipated that the 190ps R-line would drop that to around 32ish, but would an R struggle to get 30 driven sensibly or are we really talking about mid 20's ? Of course I appreciate if you hoon it about it's likely to drop to high teens / low twenties, but my sort of commute most of the time is sitting in 50-60mph motorway journeys or A and B roads to work at 30-40 speeds.

I'm just wondering if fuel costs (with fuel prices rising all time) will kill the idea stone dead or not (I'm typically doing around 6000 miles per year only).

·
Registered
2017 pure white Tiguan R-Line 150 4Motion
50 Posts
I have a 2017 RLine diesel 4 motion and I average only 4000 miles per year. I get on average at least 40 to the gallon. By the way it’s a 2.0 L.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,654 Posts
Of course, one other thing to remember is that if the original list price at first reg was over £40000 (I suspect it was), then you’ve also got an extra £350 VED to find for the next 5years!

Steve

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course, one other thing to remember is that if the original list price at first reg was over £40000 (I suspect it was), then you’ve also got an extra £350 VED to find for the next 5years!

Steve
To be honest the current R-Line on order already listed at over £40k anyway, so that doesn't actually add anything extra.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have an R getting built this week and also have a MK8R which is the same engine.
I know the Tiguan is heavier so less economical but will give my current golf figures.
Short runs up to 6/7 miles to the shops it does 27/28mpg.
Motorway sitting between 70/80mph will happily do 40mpg.
After I picked it up I had a 470 mile drive home which averaged 42mpg at 52mph.
Covered just over 4000 miles now and at an average 29mph its sitting at 32mpg.
I hope this helps,I do a lot of short runs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here's some figures from owners

Did an A road run for about another 110 miles yesterday and got 33mpg (traffic was flowing pretty much all the way, so not much stopping/starting). Have to say I'm pretty impressed its that much!

I managed to squeeze nearly 40mpg out of mine on a long run from Swansea to Brum. Was trying hard to max it out all the way though.

Just short of 37 mpg on my 130 mile trip to Glasgow. Very impressed especially given inclement weather and traffic. I told myself I wouldn’t get hung up on mpg with this car but I can see a personal challenge developing!

·
Registered
465 Posts
R Line 230 - 26 around town 32-35 on a motorway run

The Tiguan is not exactly aerodynamic compared to a golf ( I know, I owned a 2012 Gti MK6 which was better on fuel )

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the 4 months I've had my Tiguan R it has averaged 28mpg overall. Mixture of school runs (21mpg), 25 mile motorway commute (28mpg) and A road driving (32mpg). Give it the full beans and it drops into the teens.
For comparison, my previous Tiguan R-Line Tech with the 150bhp diesel averaged 38mpg. And yes, the drop in mpg is worth it 😊
I love the R's breadth of ability: dial everything down and it's quieter and more comfortable than the R-Line. Turn everything up to 11 and it morphs into a beast.

p.s. it's on winter tyres. I would expect slightly better mpg when I switch back to summers

·
Registered
261 Posts
In the 4 months I've had my Tiguan R it has averaged 28mpg overall. Mixture of school runs (21mpg), 25 mile motorway commute (28mpg) and A road driving (32mpg). Give it the full beans and it drops into the teens.
For comparison, my previous Tiguan R-Line Tech with the 150bhp diesel averaged 38mpg. And yes, the drop in mpg is worth it 😊
I love the R's breadth of ability: dial everything down and it's quieter and more comfortable than the R-Line. Turn everything up to 11 and it morphs into a beast.
Those figures are more than acceptable,I'm in the process of switching to a Tiguan R from an X3M in hope the ride quality is much better which certainly appears to be the case from your experiences.
Plus if I get 28mpg that's 11mpg better than the BMW which is a bonus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys, wonder if anyone can help. I'm potentially looking to cancel my R-Line 190ps Petrol as it's been pushed back to unconfirmed build end August / beginning of September (which would be a approx 12 months from ordering, to just build and over 12 months or more for delivery). I'm therefore looking at alternatives and have seen fairly locally a ex-demonstrator 71 plate R in Lapis blue which looks beautiful.

It's pretty well optioned but is obiovusly going to cost more then the R-Line and will cost more to run and insure, but I was wondering if any Tiguan R owners on here could chime in with their daily average MPG estimates. I know you don't buy an R to be economical, and I also know I shouldn't expect too much but my current 2018 GTI is averaging just over 35mpg for it's lifetime (67 fills up), and I anticipated that the 190ps R-line would drop that to around 32ish, but would an R struggle to get 30 driven sensibly or are we really talking about mid 20's ? Of course I appreciate if you hoon it about it's likely to drop to high teens / low twenties, but my sort of commute most of the time is sitting in 50-60mph motorway journeys or A and B roads to work at 30-40 speeds.

I'm just wondering if fuel costs (with fuel prices rising all time) will kill the idea stone dead or not (I'm typically doing around 6000 miles per year only).
I’ve just taken delivery of my Lapis Blue R and I’m doing roughly the same mileage as you. I’ve had it for almost 3 weeks now and I’ve averaged 24mpg. I’m hoping that will improve when I stop mashing the right pedal into the carpet 🤷‍♂️🤣. Its such an addictive feeling when you press the R button on the steering wheel and then floor it 😁😁.
Hopefully that’s either made you think “hell yes I want one” ….. or …….. “Oh hell no, I can’t afford that mpg”.
As an aside to this, I’m currently filling up with premium 98Ron grade petrol, and from 1/4 of a tank, it costs around £75-£80

·
Registered
261 Posts
I’ve just taken delivery of my Lapis Blue R and I’m doing roughly the same mileage as you. I’ve had it for almost 3 weeks now and I’ve averaged 24mpg. I’m hoping that will improve when I stop mashing the right pedal into the carpet 🤷‍♂️🤣. Its such an addictive feeling when you press the R button on the steering wheel and then floor it 😁😁.
Hopefully that’s either made you think “hell yes I want one” ….. or …….. “Oh hell no, I can’t afford that mpg”.
As an aside to this, I’m currently filling up with premium 98Ron grade petrol, and from 1/4 of a tank, it costs around £75-£80
My wifes R is at the dealers having arrived on Thursday and if she gets 24mpg that will do me considering she gets 17mpg in her current car running on 99Ron.

·
Registered
27 Posts

p.s. it's on winter tyres. I would expect slightly better mpg when I switch back to summers
I had a 21 plate S3 and test drove the R a few weeks back. Biggest disappointment was how naff my S3 sounded compared to the Tig R 😵‍💫. I eventually settled on a Dolphin Grey 200ps 2.0l diesel. The R I was looking at was black, but high mileage and not as well specced as the car I eventually settled on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts