Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Tiguan R prototype has been spotted testing, complete with a quad exhaust system, lowered suspension and an updated R-Line body kit.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Automotive side-view mirror Automotive side marker light

Attachments

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Impressive as it is, I wonder if this is the right way for this SUV to be heading?. I'm thinking that if I wanted all that power and the thrills that go with it I'd probably go for the Golf R. Probably more enjoyable to throw around at those speeds, and a tad cheaper I'd have thought.
If you want a sports car.........why buy an SUV?

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Essjay said:
Impressive as it is, I wonder if this is the right way for this SUV to be heading?. I'm thinking that if I wanted all that power and the thrills that go with it I'd probably go for the Golf R. Probably more enjoyable to throw around at those speeds, and a tad cheaper I'd have thought.
If you want a sports car.........why buy an SUV?

Steve
It could also be said why go without the thrills and performance of a sports car because you want a SUV? :|

Just because you buy a SUV does it mean you cannot have a sporty version with the performance to match?.......The boy racer in me says no! :D .....Just take a look at Mercedes GLC/GLE AMG, Range Rover SVR, Jag F-Pace R, Audi SQ5, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, X5/X6M?!.......I say go for it VW they will open up a more affordable mid size niche product to sell alongside the SQ5 just like other VW stablemates do in the Golf R, S3 and Leon Cupra :D !.........and I would bet my last £ that they would sell like hot cakes! :cool:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think that Tiguan "R" is actually running a 2017MY "R" chassis with the soon to be introduced and uprated to 310ps EA888 engine and 7 speed DSG! :cool:

·
Registered
202 Posts
GTD184, what do you think the 2.0 TSI 190 can be tuned to?

·
Registered
339 Posts
JonP said:
GTD184, what do you think the 2.0 TSI 190 can be tuned to?
Depends on how much you want to spend!

The 2.0Tsi is from the EA888 engine family of which (with uprated components) can and has been tuned to 400bhp which VW were working on until the emissions scandal broke lose. Unfortunately the aforementioned engine development programme has been scrapped to fund EV development!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Duplicate post removed! :roll:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
GTD184 said:
It could also be said why go without the thrills and performance of a sports car because you want a SUV? :|
Point taken, I just wonder at what point it just becomes a little OTT.

Or perhaps it's just that I'm a doddery old fart after all :lol:

Steve

·
Registered
339 Posts
Essjay said:
GTD184 said:
Point taken, I just wonder at what point it just becomes a little OTT.

Or perhaps it's just that I'm a doddery old fart after all :lol:

Steve
Steve there has been a massive surge in the popularity of cross overs and SUV's over the past 8 years and I guess a lot of manufacturers are pushing the boundaries of what was previously seen as an agricultural vehicle into a do anything sports car, so I don't think it is a little OTT it is VW designing and manufacturing a vehicle that will appeal and sell to a diverse audience of customers and lets face it even us old boys like a bit of the fast lane now and again! :D ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
yetirider said:
Maybe to pinch sales from the BMW 'M" Type X1
I think VW has bigger fish than the X1 in its sights if a Tiguan R is to be released!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just looks like a guy chucked a quad exhaust on his tsi r line.

Would love them to put the Audi 5 pot in one, but Audi never share that engine with VW :cry:

I remember VW saying that they would never do a performance version expect it to be £40k+ if the current 240 r line is £38k

·
Registered
169 Posts
Want one , bring it on !.
After coming from a mk7 golf r dsg , that engine in a Tiguan would be a belter ! and it's what the car needs as it feels a little underpowered to me .
But then again it always would as it's nearly half the power of what my golf was .

·
Registered
182 Posts
chancer1000 said:
Mk 2 R Line 2.0 TSI definitely the best Tiguan. Quiet fast smooth, thirsty but not too bad and worth it! Diesels are noisy, laggy, only slightly cheaper to run.
Out of interest what sort of mpg figures do you see on your dial for short trips in the current cold weather? On mine which is diesel half the 2 mile drive from work shows 9 mpg in slow traffic queue, improves to around 20mpg at the end of the 2 mile journey

·
Registered
610 Posts
Tig16 I've almost 2000 on the clock full average 31, on long journeys motorway around 38. A stop/start 6 mile run to work and back in the warm weather 31 to 33 now down to 28 to 30 in this weather.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if this 'R' version is actually going to be available? and if so in the UK? when? and what hp will it be? My dealers are a bit lacking on info. I'm contemplating the 240ps but need to drive it first, I'm not impressed with the lag on the box of the lower hp versions and don't want to go there yet if a more powerful car is in the pipeline.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts