Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after months of searching I have finally managed to find a supplier of a Space Saver Spare wheel to fit my Tiguan R.

The issue being that a normal space saver will not clear the brake calipers/discs on the front wheels.

For those Tiguan R owners who like me prefer a spare to a bottle of gunk, I can also confirm that the spare fits into the rear luggage area.

I have retrofitted a raised floor within the area and the wheel disappears beneath this as I had hoped.

The wheel was supplied by Netvans on ebay. Space Saver Spare Wheel & Tyre 20 " four VW TIGUAN with jack wrench and cover | eBay at £225 delivered.

Netvans are in Italy but their service was great, ordered 6 Jan, delivered today.

I hope this is useful to other Tiguan R owners.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't have an 'R' myself but a great and useful post nonetheless, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I wondered if I would have to but, no not a penny more, although it looked like the box had been opened in customs, according to the Fedex Delivery guy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am wondering if you had to pay customs / handling or anything ontop for the import?
On checking online when importing goods from Italy to the UK it says customs duty is due only if the value exceeds £135 (158 Euros).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had always understood it was bad practice and unsafe to fit a space saver to the front (although don't believe it is illegal)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Had always understood it was bad practice and unsafe to fit a space saver to the front (although don't believe it is illegal)
It is not illegal but if fitted it would fail an MoT test as it means a different size wheel on the same axel - hence why speed is restricted to 50mph.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is not illegal but if fitted it would fail an MoT test as it means a different size wheel on the same axel - hence why speed is restricted to 50mph.
My point was more about the safety issues, particularly steering and handling - OP's reason was to clear front brake callipers - so why not follow best practice and move the rear to the front and fit space saver to rear in event of a front puncture?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts