Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am soon getting my new r line, had a phone call last week to say it’s been built. I am pretty sure my new car will only come with a “ tyre repair kit” . I was thinking of keeping my older Tiguan r line space saver, jack etc and putting in my new Tiguan. The only concern is that my older R line is 2 wheel drive and my new R line is 4 wheel drive.
So can I use a space saver spare for an emergency use or will it upset the Haldex 4 WD in anyway. It’s just that I had to use the space saver once when I drove over a chunk of metal and it destroyed my tyre and wheel and without the space saver I would have been stranded in the middle of the night.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi, I am soon getting my new r line, had a phone call last week to say it’s been built. I am pretty sure my new car will only come with a “ tyre repair kit” . I was thinking of keeping my older Tiguan r line space saver, jack etc and putting in my new Tiguan. The only concern is that my older R line is 2 wheel drive and my new R line is 4 wheel drive.
So can I use a space saver spare for an emergency use or will it upset the Haldex 4 WD in anyway. It’s just that I had to use the space saver once when I drove over a chunk of metal and it destroyed my tyre and wheel and without the space saver I would have been stranded in the middle of the night.
Thanks in advance.
A few points.

1) The space saver should be fine. In the configurator, if you have selected a 4 wheel drive, you can indeed select a space saver spare. If you couldn’t use one I don’t see why you would be able to select it. Obviously, there are the usual restrictions to observe, maximum speed, maximum distance, but those apply whether it is 2WD or 4WD. The space saver currently supplied is the same part for both 2WD and 4WD. However, I believe the size of the space saver changed between the Mk1 and Mk2, not sure whether it was just the depth of the sidewall or the overall diameter - may be worth checking. The current one is 145/85 R18, what is the spec in your current Tiguan.

2) There is a full size spare option. There is some mystery surrounding this as it has proved impossible to get any hard details about it from VW. It might be exactly the same as the wheels fitted (but steel rather than alloy) or it may be different, a common spec for all trims but bigger than the space saver. Not many people order them and the one that I am aware who has received their car was supplied with a space saver rather than the full size that they ordered. Unclear whether this is a mistake or deliberate - do the full size spares actually exist? Not seen anyone with one so maybe not. I have one in my order so I’ll report back in the forum to say what I actually get.

3) You do not get a load space floor as standard. This is the biggest issue for me. I started out happy with the idea of an inflator/gunk - but I expected there to be a floor with a nice extra storage space underneath. But no, you don’t get a floor, just a deep well lined with not particularly well finished carpet. Crazy in my opinion, cost cutting gone too far in my opinion. To get a floor you have to order a spare wheel (space saver or full size) and this was the primary reason why I ordered a spare, to get a floor, otherwise I’d have been happy without a spare.

Note the floor with the space saver has two height settings, one flush with the main load area and the other a couple of inches lower. The floor with the full size only has one height setting, flush with the main floor area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A few points.

1) The space saver should be fine. In the configurator, if you have selected a 4 wheel drive, you can indeed select a space saver spare. If you couldn’t use one I don’t see why you would be able to select it. Obviously, there are the usual restrictions to observe, maximum speed, maximum distance, but those apply whether it is 2WD or 4WD. The space saver currently supplied is the same part for both 2WD and 4WD. However, I believe the size of the space saver changed between the Mk1 and Mk2, not sure whether it was just the depth of the sidewall or the overall diameter - may be worth checking. The current one is 145/85 R18, what is the spec in your current Tiguan.

2) There is a full size spare option. There is some mystery surrounding this as it has proved impossible to get any hard details about it from VW. It might be exactly the same as the wheels fitted (but steel rather than alloy) or it may be different, a common spec for all trims but bigger than the space saver. Not many people order them and the one that I am aware who has received their car was supplied with a space saver rather than the full size that they ordered. Unclear whether this is a mistake or deliberate - do the full size spares actually exist? Not seen anyone with one so maybe not. I have one in my order so I’ll report back in the forum to say what I actually get.

3) You do not get a load space floor as standard. This is the biggest issue for me. I started out happy with the idea of an inflator/gunk - but I expected there to be a floor with a nice extra storage space underneath. But no, you don’t get a floor, just a deep well lined with not particularly well finished carpet. Crazy in my opinion, cost cutting gone too far in my opinion. To get a floor you have to order a spare wheel (space saver or full size) and this was the primary reason why I ordered a spare, to get a floor, otherwise I’d have been happy without a spare.

Note the floor with the space saver has two height settings, one flush with the main load area and the other a couple of inches lower. The floor with the full size only has one height setting, flush with the main floor area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered the space saver, wouldn't feel good just relying on tyre repair kit. With floor at high position decent bit of space underneath to hide stuff away. It was £250 extra when I ordered so even if you didn't want carry the space saver I would say still worth getting for extra versatility. Only slight downside is I got boot liner for use at the upper position and its not so good when using at lower position, it can be used but edges fold up. Up to now only used at lower position once...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There's a lot of myth about different size tyres, worn tyres space saver etc on 4WD vehicles. It all stems from the old mechanical systems where everything was physically connected together through drive shafts and differentials, and yes, having one wheel rotating at a different rate would cause a strain on the whole drive system. Especially the aamerican massive trucks with huge tyres.

Skip forward to modern haldex systems, the front and rear is connected by an electro mechanical clutch that engages when needed and spends most of its time freewheeling. So there is not going to be the strain on the transmission as it's free to release the strain. It mostly engages at take off or when it detects a wheel slipping otherwise you're mostly in FWD.

·
Registered
822 Posts
There's a lot of myth about different size tyres, worn tyres space saver etc on 4WD vehicles. It all stems from the old mechanical systems where everything was physically connected together through drive shafts and differentials, and yes, having one wheel rotating at a different rate would cause a strain on the whole drive system. Especially the aamerican massive trucks with huge tyres.

Skip forward to modern haldex systems, the front and rear is connected by an electro mechanical clutch that engages when needed and spends most of its time freewheeling. So there is not going to be the strain on the transmission as it's free to release the strain. It mostly engages at take off or when it detects a wheel slipping otherwise you're mostly in FWD.
I’m sure you know this already but for others that might not - the different sized wheels (17”, 18”, 20”, 21” for the various Tiguan trims) all have roughly the same diameter.

What varies is the diameter of the metal wheel and the depth of the rubber sidewall. Bigger metal wheel, smaller rubber sidewall and vice versa but the overall diameter remains roughly the same.

Note - the spare wheel might not be exactly the same diameter but it will be fairly close, close enough.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou for the helpful replies 👍

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks in advance.
I have a 4 Motion R Line with the spare wheel, so it 100% does fit.

cheers.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I’m certain that you can use a space saver on a 4WD, VW allow you to select that as an option when ordering.

But the OP is talking about using the wheel and tools from an older Tiguan so I think there are a few things to check/note

• If your older Tiguan is a Mk 1 then check the specification of the space saver as I believe the space savers for the Mk 1 and Mk 2 are different. The spec for the Mk 2 space saver is 145/85 R18.
  • As your new Tiguan was ordered without a spare wheel then it won’t have the mounting points for the spare - to be fair I don’t know if the Tiguan uses mounting points but all my previous cars have had a feature where a screw clamps the wheel down to the floor to stop it moving. But maybe the Tiguan just uses a moulded foam insert for the wheel to sit in.
  • As your new Tiguan was ordered without a spare wheel then it won’t come with a load area floor, it may not even have the rails for a floor to sit on. It is possible that the floor from your existing car will fit but I doubt it.
Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou for the info.
My Tiguan I have at moment is a r line mark 2 2018
When I ordered the new Tiguan I didn’t see that I could spec a spare wheel.
Must have missed that, so long ago I ordered it…

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I can confirm that the spare does come with a plastic screw clamp to hold the wheel in position inside the foam/polystyrene block. This is essential as in the event of an accident you would not want that wheel to launch into the cabin area.

Also to note the space-saver for a Mk1 Tiguan is 145/80 R18 as opposed to 145/85 R18 for the Mk2.

Reactions: Kemaro

·
Registered
822 Posts
I can confirm that the spare does come with a plastic screw clamp to hold the wheel in position inside the foam/polystyrene block. This is essential as in the event of an accident you would not want that wheel to launch into the cabin area.

Also to note the space-saver for a Mk1 Tiguan is 145/80 R18 as opposed to 145/85 R18 for the Mk2.
Okay that is significant because the Mk 2 is bigger in diameter - by 2 x 145 x 0.05 = 14.5 mm

And does that mean that if you have ordered a spare wheel then the well floor has a threaded boss for the clamp that screws down and holds the wheel secure - and if so, is that not present if you have not ordered the spare wheel.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: Kemaro

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks in advance.
You have ordered a lovely car.
Would it not be best to buy the correct parts for the new car instead of trying to use old bits from your current vehicle.
Also when you px the current car the dealer will expect it to be complete with the correct items in the boot area.

The old spare wheel will work but why bodge a new car with incorrect bits.

As for the floor of your existing vehicle might fit the new one, but bloody hell why?
Just shows the mentality of those who even mentioned it.

Do the right thing for yourself and everyone else who could be affected by you taking parts off the old car and speak to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A while back when I was comparing various specs I noticed that certain extras increased the CO2 emissions figure, e.g. the pan roof and spare wheel - no doubt due to the increased weight. One spec I looked at meant that the spare wheel (essential IMO) pushed the CO2 into the higher VED band meaning an extra £300 or so on top. I made enquiries about the possibility of purchasing the complete boot kit + space-saver after delivery (thus avoiding the extra VED) and it would probably have cost well over £500 as opposed to around £220 when factory fitted and that's assuming it was even possible to order this from VW - I never did get a reply from my local Dealer!

·
Registered
822 Posts
A while back when I was comparing various specs I noticed that certain extras increased the CO2 emissions figure, e.g. the pan roof and spare wheel - no doubt due to the increased weight. One spec I looked at meant that the spare wheel (essential IMO) pushed the CO2 into the higher VED band meaning an extra £300 or so on top. I made enquiries about the possibility of purchasing the complete boot kit + space-saver after delivery (thus avoiding the extra VED) and it would probably have cost well over £500 as opposed to around £220 when factory fitted and that's assuming it was even possible to order this from VW - I never did get a reply from my local Dealer!
Yes, certain options certainly do increase the CO2 and could possibly push the car into the next VED band.

Take the 190PS TSI R-Line and Elegance that I was looking at.

The R-Line just scrapes into one band by the skin of its teeth making the first year VED £945 currently, but the Elegance is a few g/km higher largely due the the pano roof so the first year VED is £1420 (nearly £500 more).

So if you were to go for the R-Line but wanted the pano roof thinking it was going to cost you £1255 you might be shocked to find that it actually costs £1730 because it will push the car into the next VED band.

This is also one reason why the residual on the Elegance aren’t as high as on the R-Line, mostly it is because the R-Line is more sought after but also the Elegance is carrying an extra £500 in VED.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan Life, DSG, 1.5 TSI, keyless, rear camera, full size spare
6 Posts
My 2022 Life has a near full size spare. I don't know the details as it was a second hand car, but definitely a VW accessory. However it is 215 wide as opposed to 235 on the car, the diameter is 1in less than the car but the tyre is deeper to compensate. Any deeper tyre would not fit in the boot well and have a flat boot floor. However that said there is still a 50mph restriction when fitted.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My 2022 Life has a near full size spare. I don't know the details as it was a second hand car, but definitely a VW accessory. However it is 215 wide as opposed to 235 on the car, the diameter is 1in less than the car but the tyre is deeper to compensate. Any deeper tyre would not fit in the boot well and have a flat boot floor. However that said there is still a 50mph restriction when fitted.
Absolutely this is a running conversation that I had and eventually gave up with when trying to get info out of the dealer and VWUK. Neither could provide any firm details of the specification of either. All I could get is the full size is the exact same spec as the vehicle's main wheels just steel rather than alloy. When I suggested that a 255 and probably not a 235 would not fit they had no answer just stuck to their stupid stance. I've ordered a full size spare but I am expecting a generic full size that is common to all trims - so a 215 sounds sensible.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Absolutely this is a running conversation that I had and eventually gave up with when trying to get info out of the dealer and VWUK. Neither could provide any firm details of the specification of either. All I could get is the full size is the exact same spec as the vehicle's main wheels just steel rather than alloy. When I suggested that a 255 and probably not a 235 would not fit they had no answer just stuck to their stupid stance. I've ordered a full size spare but I am expecting a generic full size that is common to all trims - so a 215 sounds sensible.
I wish you would hurry up and get your car as we are all waiting to find out what size spare wheel you're gonna get! :)

Reactions: ThePhatGit

·
Registered
822 Posts
I wish you would hurry up and get your car as we are all waiting to find out what size spare wheel you're gonna get! :)
Agreed, it will be really useful because I will be able to let VW UK and the dealerships know too because they haven’t a clue.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
309 Posts
Agreed, it will be really useful because I will be able to let VW UK and the dealerships know too because they haven’t a clue.

Cheers,

Nigel
And you can let me know so I can show my stealer. who claim there is no part number for any spare except the space saver

1 - 20 of 26 Posts