Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I had a test drive (after quickly driving a friend's R-Line 150 TDI) in a SE Nav 2.0 TDI DSG/4WD and it was very very nice. Love the digital dash in the R-Line which I will get as I'm after an SEL. After seeing the residues for petrol, I think I am settled on a TDI 4WD/DG and to be fair the dealer matched another dealer lower price (used the spreadsheet/carwow technique) so I was happy with the level of discount & finance.

So In my mind SEL + Metallic Paint + Possible 20" alloys and nothing else.

However around the corner, we test drove a pre-owned Q5 2.0 TDI 177PS DSG S-Line Plus. 31k on the clock (just over 3 years old, FaudiSH, 1 owner etc.) and it an it was absolutely gorgeous. Quieter/more refined/smoother + surprisingly (quite a bit) quicker than Tiguan (although I put that down to its be worn in where as Tiguan isn't yet). Spec for spec if matches SEL - LED lights, Satnav, etc. + it had leather (which is nice after all) but of course doesn't not have the Digital dash which is a shame (but then I don't have it now) 20" alloys, S-Line extras etc.

Finance seems to be very competitive as well and obviously residues on an Q5 surpasses Tiguan. So I really don't know what to do! Of course its lovely to have a new car (12 weeks build time apparently, which is absolutely fine) and there are lots of toys to play in the Tiguan for sure and I think in SEL is the best looking (less is more in my book). Where as, in my view, the Q5 is simply better looking that the Tiguan - well certainly more aggressive but without be being over-the-top. I can appreciate this is personal thing, so I am more trying to offend anyone. The downside with the Q5, is of course the Tiguan will (should!) give me 3 years of trouble-free motoring i.e. warranty etc. where's one always runs the risk with pre-owned but then again, we'll only do ~5k miles/year so that risk is reduced somewhat.

Don't know what to do!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Go with what you like.

However, a new Tiguan v 3 year old Q5 is a no brainer for me, Tiguan every time. Almost based purely on the warranty.
I like the modern look of the new Q5 but the old one not so much. The interior is about 9 years old.
You may only do a small mileage but then again, after a couple of months any hidden problems might become apparent. Sure the Audi dealers will be rubbing their hands if that happens.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sounds like you may need to test drive both again but try to get in an SEL so you can "play about" with the features. Is the Q5 a private sale (therefore no initial warranty or anything as well).

Consider doing yourself a little spreadsheet as well to calculate potential running costs going forward - tyres, insurance, MOT on Q5, warranty insurance on Q5.

Even go on the Audi site and download the actual spec of the Q5 and tick off what the SEL has / Q5 has and look to see what differences there are (if any).

We looked at a Volvo XC60 (new) at same time and what sold us the Tiguan was actually the customer service we received in asking for various quotes etc (I'm doing PCH).

When test driving the Q5 for the second time, take in a checklist to make sure everything on it works, as there may be little comeback afterwards or you may find things that you think could niggle you in future.

Check things, like all the air vents still point in all the directions they should do (I bought a car in the past and didn't realise that the one vent had some broken slats in it - stupid little things like that on a used car LOL). Do the ashtrays pull out and clip in properly, does anything rattle, windows - all of them go up and down? - look in the engine for signs of oil leaks or anything.

Ultimately it is your choice - what did you really feel comfortable in - did you get enough time to move the seat around in the Q5 and get comfy - did you like the SEL seating etc.

Consider rear passengers - do you have any usually? etc get in the back - what room is there for them etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah yes, my 10 year old daughter preferred the tiguan because of the picnic tables and cup holders (easily pleased!). What she failed to grasp is that food would be banned in a new car :)

Q5 obviously is bigger (although not as much as you'd expect actually) all round although the Tiguan is a step up from our Kuga in space in any case.

Agree on the points of finding niggley faults which you don't know notice until a couple of weeks of ownership are are not covered by warranty. Although I do plan to haggle extra warranty into the deal should I go for the Q5 for some more piece of mind but probably won't be as comprehensive a new car warranty for sure.

Q5 is late 2014, so post face lift (interior & exterior) and from Audi dealership so you get nice things like electric tailgate, cruise and LED DRLs front and rear etc.

Test Drove the SE-NAV (although did have a quick go in an R-Line). Apparently 39 weeks for a R-line and 12 weeks for SEL. Dealer also mentioned that 180 Petrol 2WD has been stopped. So it would be SEL 4WD/Metallic Paint + 20" Wheels. Had ~45 mins in the Tiguan on our own which was nice. But as per advise - would need to check things like trend on tyre/what brand they are etc. + need to go over service history more thoroughly. With Tiguan obviously won't have to do that.

Head says Tiguan, heart says Q5 at the moment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Q5 is in the class above the Tiguan. Why go for TDI if you only do 5k miles a year?

You can get a 211bhp petrol version of the Q5. Not as many to choose from, but if you can find one it will likely come in cheaper than the TDI version.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Of course the Audi will be quicker as it is 177ps as opposed to the 150ps Tiguan :roll: .......Try the Tig 190ps....yep, don't think you'll look back ;) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
361 Posts
luxormoonprince,

Ultimately it is your choice but 3 years it's a very long time in the automotive technology. Apart from warranty there are many things to consider.

Even being in higher class Q5 is just bigger externally and suprisingly Tiguan is actually bigger inside (check both cars internal dimensions).

1. Tiguan SEL has full LED headlights with Dynamic Light Assist, something that Q5's Sline Plus xenon headlights (non-adaptive) are unable to provide.
2. LEDs are more eco than xenons,
3. Adaptive Cruise Control vs standard CC in Q5,
4. CarPlay/Android Auto vs NIL (not even a BT as standard!!!),
5. Active Info Display vs standard dash,
6. Panoramic roof vs NIL (option),
7. Folding mirrors vs non-folding ones
8. Huge package of driver assistance systems (Lane assist, Front asisst, hill-hold) vs almost nothing (Lane assist),
9. Heated front seats vs nothing (option),
10. Insurance group 16 vs 25

Sorry but for me Tiguan is the winner here...

I have managed to find 2014 Q5 Spec guide for your perusal here: http://www.sinclairaudi.co.uk/pdfs/brochures/q5.pdf

stumpy said:
Of course the Audi will be quicker as it is 177ps as opposed to the 150ps Tiguan :roll:
Actually Q5 177Ps is just 0.3 sec quicker than 150PS Tig SEL. Tig is around 300 kgs lighter...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Coming from a 2014 Audi S3 I think that VW has a classier interior than Audi. I know Audi is supposed to be the premium brand here but honestly I even thought the Golf 7 GTI and R looked better inside than my S3.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Had a 2015 Q5, Prefer the Tig

·
Registered
161 Posts
Having had an Audi a4 (13 years from new and now the wife has it) before Tig 190 tdi, I don't think you would have any problems with a 3 year old dealer supplied Q5. They are put together very well. However this is the 'old' version of the Q5. If you were getting the new Q5 then I guess I would go for the Q5. However the price for a similar spec'd Q5 would be ridiculously expensive compared to the Tig and that alone would make my choice.
The fact that your only doing 5K millage means either car will do 8 years and not even be 'run in'. So repairs costs will be minimal.

As Stumpy said, the engine size is not comparable, the 190 will definitely feel different, so get into a Tig 190 and then compare. If you still then prefer the Audi, go for the Audi. But make sure you get a cast iron warranty from them, as they are buggers when you leave the showroom to ever admit to 'known faults'.

·
Registered
134 Posts
5000 miles per year and your looking at TDI, Why?

·
Registered
463 Posts
ACS said:
5000 miles per year and your looking at TDI, Why?
One reason I parted with the Q5 177 TDI. I do about the same.
Used to go longway round on motorway to go shopping to keep DPF happy, put the nitro diesel in to keep EGR happy.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't consider the old version of the Q5 over the new Tig. I considered this before I decided on the Tig 190 TDI R Line. Different prospect if you where choosing between the 2017 Q5 which looks fantastic if not on average £5K more like for like with a 190 TDI R Line.

I have only had mine a week but what a wonderful car to drive more tech than my old brain can comprehend. Haven't tried the New Q5 but it would have to be even more amazing which I doubt to warrant that addition cost.

Tough decision, either way both wonderful cars.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A 9yr old AUDI design interior will still be a nice place to be. And as said the Q5 is a step up in size and class. I think the digital display in the Tiguan would be nice to have but reckon the novelty would wear off after a while (but I also quite like traditional gauges anyway), so I wouldn't let that put you off. That said I think the Q5 is the poorest of the Q cars in terms of design, the full rectangular DRLs are ugly and the whole front end has an odd blandness/roundness to it that looks dated next to the sharper Q3 front end and both old and new Q7 are beasts (origianl Q7 from mid 200s still looks really nice at the front).

"Tech" in generally doesn't appeal to me so on that front I would't be swayed against the Q5; as long as it will pair a phone for handsfree and has a decent radio that's about it for me in that regard. It's all about the way it looks, drives and makes you feel (I couldn't care less if I could pair an "app" to play a song :lol: )

If an R-Line Tiguan would be an option I'd lean towards that as they look so good and have good standard spec. The Q5 styling is my only negative but if you're happy with that the Q5 would be the nicer car to own.

cabby09 said:
Coming from a 2014 Audi S3 I think that VW has a classier interior than Audi. I know Audi is supposed to be the premium brand here but honestly I even thought the Golf 7 GTI and R looked better inside than my S3.
Surprised by this as I think the opposite, the S3 has a gorgeous interior (even the old 2006-on 8P is a lovely place to sit). A high spec Golf "looks" really nice as well but VW feel a good step down from AUDI. After being used to AUDIs and BMWs, the Tiguan is "acceptable" interior wise, rear plastics are poor for example as are some front lower dash bits and bobs, and it's all a bit "grey".

·
Registered
174 Posts
c_w said:
I think the digital display in the Tiguan would be nice to have but reckon the novelty would wear off after a while
I have an SEL on order, and if I'm honest, I prefer well made traditional dials to the digital displays. I also think it will age horribly, the same way a 10 year old Sat Nav looks terrible by today's standards. Compare Windows XP to windows 10 to see how much GUI's have evolved in just 10 years

·
Registered
342 Posts
NoHopeNoFear said:
c_w said:
I think the digital display in the Tiguan would be nice to have but reckon the novelty would wear off after a while
I have an SEL on order, and if I'm honest, I prefer well made traditional dials to the digital displays. I also think it will age horribly, the same way a 10 year old Sat Nav looks terrible by today's standards. Compare Windows XP to windows 10 to see how much GUI's have evolved in just 10 years
You might be right but the screen has a high resolution and what you see is only software written. It can easily be updated over the years.
c_w said:
A 9yr old AUDI design interior will still be a nice place to be.
Each to there own on this. It is ok but by todays standards, it's been left behind.

Some people have luck, others not. If i'm comparing a fresh new Tiguan against a 3 year old out of warranty Q5 then for me it's an easy decision.
The OP can decide on what he/she reads here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
c_w said:
A 9yr old AUDI design interior will still be a nice place to be. And as said the Q5 is a step up in size and class. I think the digital display in the Tiguan would be nice to have but reckon the novelty would wear off after a while (but I also quite like traditional gauges anyway), so I wouldn't let that put you off. That said I think the Q5 is the poorest of the Q cars in terms of design, the full rectangular DRLs are ugly and the whole front end has an odd blandness/roundness to it that looks dated next to the sharper Q3 front end and both old and new Q7 are beasts (origianl Q7 from mid 200s still looks really nice at the front).

"Tech" in generally doesn't appeal to me so on that front I would't be swayed against the Q5; as long as it will pair a phone for handsfree and has a decent radio that's about it for me in that regard. It's all about the way it looks, drives and makes you feel (I couldn't care less if I could pair an "app" to play a song :lol: )

If an R-Line Tiguan would be an option I'd lean towards that as they look so good and have good standard spec. The Q5 styling is my only negative but if you're happy with that the Q5 would be the nicer car to own.

cabby09 said:
Surprised by this as I think the opposite, the S3 has a gorgeous interior (even the old 2006-on 8P is a lovely place to sit). A high spec Golf "looks" really nice as well but VW feel a good step down from AUDI. After being used to AUDIs and BMWs, the Tiguan is "acceptable" interior wise, rear plastics are poor for example as are some front lower dash bits and bobs, and it's all a bit "grey".
You talk about plastics being poor in the Tiguan. Have you sat in a new Audi recently? The S3 for example has some terrible plastic bits low down on the sides next to the gear lever, the lower parts of all the doors and the trays under the seats. You just have to Google or follow Audi forums to see the endless posts about that. They creak when you rest your knee on them etc. Yes Audi interiors are nice... and a good place to sit and look but fiddle around and you will see where the cost cutting has come in. Current examples include the new A4 as well. So yes it seems to be a trend in newer cars and that's for cost cutting and weight reduction. To be quite honest if you climb into an older Audi you will probably find a much better quality of materials in the interior than their modern counterparts. I have owned the older 8P A3 and that had a more solid interior than my current one.

I guess it comes down to personal choice at the end of the day, but even Audi interiors are a bit "grey" as you referred to the Tiguan. Often referred to as "safe and dull" by car reviewers, yet tend to still look really good years on. After all, Audi is owned by VW so it's really the same thing.

But to the choice at hand... I would take the new Tiguan over the older Q5 or Q3 any day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I looked at the Q5 (64 plate, 31k miles) when I was trying to find the replacement for my Range Rover and ended up buying the Tiguan R-Line based on the interior and standard tech. The new Q5 model is decent but when you start adding on the options which come standard on the R-Line, the price difference gets a little crazy. VW really have hit the mark with the latest R-Line - couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
174 Posts
sbird1975 said:
NoHopeNoFear said:
c_w said:
You might be right but the screen has a high resolution and what you see is only software written. It can easily be updated over the years.
c_w said:
A 9yr old AUDI design interior will still be a nice place to be.
Each to there own on this. It is ok but by todays standards, it's been left behind.

Some people have luck, others not. If i'm comparing a fresh new Tiguan against a 3 year old out of warranty Q5 then for me it's an easy decision.
The OP can decide on what he/she reads here.
Will VW bother updating it in old cars? It not like Apples iOS, where they can use it to sell more services, so I'm not sure they would invest the cash

That said there will problem be some companies offering realigned software and additional functionality in the future

1 - 20 of 42 Posts