Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has changed from a coupe or a sport hatch to a Tiguan, do you regret your decision?
Do you miss the lower ride, better handling, sportier feeling?
Does the Tiguan offers enough in other areas to compensate the loss of sportiness?

Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
I came from a mk7 Golf GT, and believe me my Tig is plenty sporty enough for me. Being somewhat "nutritionally challenged" as my brother kindly calls me :D , I actually enjoy the higher ride and the fact that I don't give myself a hernia trying to get in and out any more is another bonus 馃憤.

Steve

Registered
Interesting you should ask this. Currently have an A3 sportback S line which is two years old. Had a drive in a Tiguan a few times and thought my god this is good. Getting in and out didn't involve a struggle, it was so much smoother to drive over terrible roads and also quieter. Ordered one straight away as it was quite relaxing to drive.

Registered
tigray said:
Anyone who has changed from a coupe or a sport hatch to a Tiguan, do you regret your decision?
Does the Tiguan offers enough in other areas to compensate the loss of sportiness?
Being 6 ft I find a lot of the sport coupe's inc cars like the a1, rs3 , r8 ect I had to limbo into handling not that far behind for general road use, the tiggy you just get into unless your a short rrrrrs like my wife

Registered
My wife and I are not getting any younger (my signature is a clue to my advancing years!) and the joints are not what they used to be.
We have had hatchback cars, but previous to the VW we had a Citroen C4 Picasso as we found getting in and out a lot easier. However, the one we had was a Friday afternoon job and we had a series of warranty repairs done which dampened our faith in the make.
We looked for a premium car which ticked all our boxes- and we think we have found it in the Tiguan. We were lucky enough to find one that had been bought by someone who couldn't get along with it for some reason and it was six months old with 4000 miles on when we bought it. So far we haven't had any issues and hopefully we won't.

Registered
Ive had 2 hot hatches in the last 3 years. M135i and Golf R. On balance the Tiguan is great and do not regret the decision 97% of the time.

If i had the 240bhp version, i think the tiguan would be near perfect. Oh well, cant have it all.

The 150 tdi is slow. Although that is subjective depending on your past experiences.

Registered
I switched from my GTi with the PP and haven't regretted a thing. I was worried and so spec'ed the 240 engine and it's just as quick - I think it's actually a bit faster on pure acceleration due to the grip - awesome from 60-90 .... no regrets at all....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, your words have been extremely encouraging for the painful months awaiting for the production.
One usually tends to question his decision in such cases but this forum is one of the best medicines out there!

Registered
I have just changed to Tiggi SE 150 4Motion 6 speed Manual from Mk4 Mondeo S pack 30mm lower Saloon ( stiffer bodyshel) 140TDi. Very rare spec ex FoMoCo Demo car from press fleet. 18 inch 40 series tyres Probably the finest Mondeo ever, in 3rd gear superb cornering dial in/dial out Oversteer/Oversteer on the throttle. Can even be a hooligan with 1.6 tonne German caravan behind ( 3.5 tonne all up). I had it from nearly new for 10 years The new Ford is the opposite.
By comparison the Tiguan is a rolly beast wallowing like a pig in a mud hole, at least it has 4 motion to get it out. Excess weight at real Kerb weight of 1740Kg with 75 Kg driver and 8 Liter fuel on test drive 100 kg over spec saps performance, should have 190 but couldnt stand DSG. Love tiptronic on my BMW 7 (E38). At 67 am not aging gracefully yet.
I will consider VW sports suspension from mail dealer only 15mm or Richter Sportsline 30mm drop.
From other posts if you are moving from an excellent handling car (BMW3 series for example) standard Tiggi is no substitute.

Registered
Like so many manufacturers, a particular car is now sold in a wide myriad of options ranging from a dirt cheap basic model, to one where you think "拢x for a y?".

You have to find the sweet spot, where the spec meets your expectations. So my wife, trying to downsize from a Disco4, "needed" the 240 auto, with variable suspension. And the result is quite good; it's grunty, quick, and in sport mode (firm suspension) it handles moderately well. Moderately. Which is good enough for a small SUV that the rest of the time is really very comfortable.

It doesn't handle like our mx5, nor does it decimate A roads like our F10 535d. But it does the assigned job perfectly well, and so we are happy.

To me, it sounds like you bought the wrong car. Sell it and buy the right one!

Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
Vexhatious said:
I have just changed to Tiggi SE 150 4Motion 6 speed Manual from Mk4 Mondeo S pack 30mm lower Saloon ( stiffer bodyshel) 140TDi. Very rare spec ex FoMoCo Demo car from press fleet. 18 inch 40 series tyres Probably the finest Mondeo ever, in 3rd gear superb cornering dial in/dial out Oversteer/Oversteer on the throttle. Can even be a hooligan with 1.6 tonne German caravan behind ( 3.5 tonne all up). I had it from nearly new for 10 years The new Ford is the opposite.
By comparison the Tiguan is a rolly beast wallowing like a pig in a mud hole, at least it has 4 motion to get it out. Excess weight at real Kerb weight of 1740Kg with 75 Kg driver and 8 Liter fuel on test drive 100 kg over spec saps performance, should have 190 but couldnt stand DSG. Love tiptronic on my BMW 7 (E38). At 67 am not aging gracefully yet.
I will consider VW sports suspension from mail dealer only 15mm or Richter Sportsline 30mm drop.
From other posts if you are moving from an excellent handling car (BMW3 series for example) standard Tiggi is no substitute.
Vexhatious, I assume you had a test drive in the Tiguan before you purchased?. In which case, I'm confused. You say it wallows " like a pig", and you're obviously not happy with the handling, so my question to you is, why on earth did you choose it in the first place?? :?:

Steve

Registered
Vexhatious said:
Vexhatious I am interested to know what could you not stand about DSG? It's not perfect but I think it's a good automatic. Comparing a Mondeo to a Tiguan is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. They are completely different. Did you drive/ consider the R line before making your purchase as it comes with sports suspension and 20" alloys if your in the UK, which would propally suit your driving style better by the sounds of it?

Registered
Had mine tig a week now and had a couple of Audi's before. Coming from sports suspension on my a3 I don't really notice any extra wallowing but it is more comfortable and also much quieter road noise wise. One thing I have noticed is it doesn't feel like really wallowing soft suspension and not much body rolling on corners so it almost feels like sportier suspension than a suv would usually have. I've also got dsg and it works like other autos I've tried but with the SUV style
Of car I notice 1st and 2nd is a bit rougher. 190 does go when you need it and also no wheel spin like the front wheel drive tdi's.

Registered
tigray said:
tigray you've hit on a good point and one I have discussed with a few family members. I have a Mk7 GTD DSG and the wife has a 2017 Tiguan 190ps R-Line. Dynamically the GTD is quicker and due to the difference in weight size etc the handling of the golf is better. The Tiguan though is more comfortable and has a more commanding driving position although it does become a little more twitchy than the golf when getting a move on.

I'm in a fortunate position to have both cars to drive but to choose one is a difficult choice. If there was just myself and the wife I would say GTD, however for comfort and family practicality it would be the Tiguan.

Registered
I switched from a CC R36 DSG 4Motion and my partner from a Golf 7 TSI DSG. We are both very happy as the Tigs are much more practical and from a power point of view they are plenty strong enough. Compared to both previous car the ride is much better in the Tig.

Registered
Have to say that I find some of these comparisons a bit odd... can't really see where we are going with this?

IMHO...it's rather like saying that my Tig doesn't compare well with my wife's FIAT 500 for ease of parking in small spaces, or that the Tigs fuel consumption is high in comparison?
Right tool for the job etc?

Fwiw...My Tig performs & handles very badly in comparison to my modified GTi ( which will do 30 mpg with 350 BHP at 70 mph...says much about weight/drag etc?), and the several BMW saloons before it...and the Tig is even worse when compared to the 911 targa that I am lucky enough to be able to borrow occasionally!

The Tig is a big fat slow SUV (in comparitive terms).

Performance? You will needing a Macan Sir! :lol:

Registered
We got ours to replace my other halfs Fiesta ST, now that is a big difference . I loved the go kart like handling and the instant power of the Fiesta but I love the easiness of the Tiguan. You cannot compare them as they are two totally different types of car. My other half loved her Fiesta too but as she is getting used to the increase in size of the Tiguan she is preferring it.

Registered
Comparing the Tiguan to anything other than a similar sized family SUV like a CX-5, Qashqai or their French equivalents is a recipe for driving yourself insane. If you want an exciting, responsive or quick drive, then stay away from the safety first family SUV segment.

Registered
I switched over from the Scirocco to the Tiguan last year. I've never compared them directly with each other as they are very different cars and tick boxes quite far apart from each other.

Circumstance, usage and priorities where the things that I was considering when I switched. I had the Scirocco whilst I was out working in Malta on my own so I wanted something relatively compact, a fun to drive petrol, that looked great in the sun and put a smile on my face. Coming back to Scotland I wanted gadgets, comfort, greater practicality, confidence in all road conditions and a diesel to churn through the daily commute.

I love them both, but they sit in very different camps to my mind, all I can say is my driving has adapted accordingly so I wouldn't say I miss anything as such. Tiguan for me is a very comfortable, relaxed place to be, very capable, and just happily eats up the miles.

(Have to admit it did take me a while to adjust to the size difference though after I picked it up. My parking for the first couple of weeks was simply atrocious and I really had to rely on the all round camera until I got a feel for the car :oops: )

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very interesting to hear all your comments. Some of you are really comparing the cars directly, others have the philosophy not to compare apples with oranges. Some posts really helped though and I am really thankful!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts