Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned on the build dates sheet, I placed my order for an R-Line eHybrid back on the 30th November 2021. I was initially given a build date of July for the car, but like everyone else that has been pushed back.

The car has almost every option, besides leather and 360 cameras, it really is a Christmas tree and will be great to be in, however my dear is that this is now going to push the delivery dates even further back? I don't need to get lucky with one or two parts, I need everything delivering.

The one downside to having the eHybrid is power. I'm used to high powered BMWs and at 150 - 240ish bhp, and a 7.5s 0-60 it's not the quickest car I've owned, however I wasn't really too aware of other options at the time.

Since I do not have a clue when the car will be here, I've been toying with cancelling the order, and going for a used car instead.

Now eHybrid tigs are like rocking horse poo and none have the spec I wanted, and are way more expensive than my build price. To give an idea, the monthlys on mine are around £420 on a 4 year lease, but a used tog is around £600 on PCP for similar.

I've therefore been looking at the Volvo XC60. 4WD, has all the options and comes in at 390bhp. The downside, the most affordable are more than £150 a month extra and e to 4 years old.

We also have a 4 year old who is quickly outgrowing the backseat of my 6 series as there's no legroom behind me.

What would you do? Hold out for another 6 - 8 months realistically, or bite the bullet and swap?

If swap, anyone have any experience with Volvo hybrids? Or any other options?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The new Volvo will cost you £27k in PCP/Lease payments over 4 years & deposit (£570*48). I would take a loan for a similar if not less amount and buy a 1 to 2 year old Hybrid, Toyota or similar.
Take the loan over a slightly longer time frame to keep the monthlies in check and extend the warranty (A Toyota is under warranty for 10 years) and then you'll own the car as an asset when the loan finishes.

That would be my option and it's what we've done with our Corolla, 4 year loan & PX and the car will be ours at the end.

Reactions: Dubzie1986

·
Registered
697 Posts
The thing with the Tiguan is regardless of what estimated build weeks you are given you should plan for November 2023. The question then becomes - can you wait long.

I still maintain that there is ‘something wrong in the state of VW’, sure supply, distribution and staffing issues are impacting all car manufacturers but VW seem to be faring much worse than anyone else. Indeed other car manufacturers are beginning to get back on track whereas VW is still getting worse.

As I see it the cars that VW are processing now were ordered in June 2021 which suggests that they have 12 months of backlog. How can they clear that, even if everything were back to normal and they were able to increase production by 25% it will still take 3-4 years to get back to situation normal.

Back in February, I had the opportunity to buy a Kia Sportage which could have been delivered in April/May this year. But although close, I preferred the Tiguan and based on assurances from VW I decided to stick with the Tiguan - now wondering whether I made a mistake.

BTW, I test drove a Volvo XC40, a petrol, not a PHEV, on paper I was convinced that was the car I was going to buy but I was so disappointed by the drive - I simply didn’t like the automatic gearbox. There was a lot of lag and the gears would scream before shifting up. It was enough to put me off unfortunately, because otherwise it was a lovely car.

Also I believe that Volvo have got their act together and are producing cars in under 6 months.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: Dubzie1986

·
Registered
410 Posts
BTW, I test drove a Volvo XC40, a petrol, not a PHEV, on paper I was convinced that was the car I was going to buy but I was so disappointed by the drive - I simply didn’t like the automatic gearbox. There was a lot of lag and the gears would scream before shifting up. It was enough to put me off unfortunately, because otherwise it was a lovely car.

Also I believe that Volvo have got their act together and are producing cars in under 6 months.

Cheers,

Nigel
Hi Nigel

I am looking at replacing my car and the XC40 is one on my list (I am planing to test drive one next week). I am looking at the XC40 Ultimate B4 mild-hybrid - was that the car you test drove as if it has the problems you suggest, I may not bother?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
863 Posts
A while back I test drove the XC40 PHEV and although very nice and responsive I found it a bit "twitchy" at slow speeds as if the steering wasn't firm enough. Maybe this was because of the size of the wheels (but I hadn't noticed this in the petrol version) so make sure you test drive the exact model you want.

Reactions: John27

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hi Nigel

I am looking at replacing my car and the XC40 is one on my list (I am planing to test drive one next week). I am looking at the XC40 Ultimate B4 mild-hybrid - was that the car you test drove as if it has the problems you suggest, I may not bother?

Thanks

John
No I drove a petrol one. I found that there was a definite delay when pulling away from a stop. You put your foot down, count to 2 and then the power would come on. Also when driving it seemed to keep the car in lower gear than move that I would have expected. Made it sound like the engine was screaming at times. I wasn’t in sport mode. Please don’t let this stop you off the test drive though.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks for replying. I didn't think they made a petrol only version now? I thought they were either mild-hybrid, PHEV or EV for the XC40. The mild-hybrid and PHEV both have petrol ICE. Having said that, the Volvo website isn't that clear so I may well be missing something. I will ask the dealer when I get there. As you say, at least worth having a test drive.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thanks for replying. I didn't think they made a petrol only version now? I thought they were either mild-hybrid, PHEV or EV for the XC40. The mild-hybrid and PHEV both have petrol ICE. Having said that, the Volvo website isn't that clear so I may well be missing something. I will ask the dealer when I get there. As you say, at least worth having a test drive.
Quite probably, bear in mind how long I've been waiting for my Tiguan, ten months since I test drove the Volvo - they definitely had a petrol only version then. They did try and push the hybrid one on me but it was over the luxury tax threshold which I was determined to avoid back then - with hindsight that was futile.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
863 Posts
From a recent website for Volvo XC40 engines:

Petrol engines
There are two petrol models on offer, now that the range-topping 247bhp B5 has been discontinued. The 194bhp B4 (and the B5) get mild-hybrid assistance from a starter-generator and 48-volt battery and are available only with an eight-speed automatic gearbox. Four-wheel drive is standard on the B5 and optional on the B4. A less powerful B3 (with 161bhp from the same 2.0-litre engine) has now replaced the 1.5-litre T3, sitting below the B4 in the range. The B3 only comes with front-wheel drive and an automatic gearbox.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As mentioned on the build dates sheet, I placed my order for an R-Line eHybrid back on the 30th November 2021. I was initially given a build date of July for the car, but like everyone else that has been pushed back.

The car has almost every option, besides leather and 360 cameras, it really is a Christmas tree and will be great to be in, however my dear is that this is now going to push the delivery dates even further back? I don't need to get lucky with one or two parts, I need everything delivering.

The one downside to having the eHybrid is power. I'm used to high powered BMWs and at 150 - 240ish bhp, and a 7.5s 0-60 it's not the quickest car I've owned, however I wasn't really too aware of other options at the time.

Since I do not have a clue when the car will be here, I've been toying with cancelling the order, and going for a used car instead.

Now eHybrid tigs are like rocking horse poo and none have the spec I wanted, and are way more expensive than my build price. To give an idea, the monthlys on mine are around £420 on a 4 year lease, but a used tog is around £600 on PCP for similar.

I've therefore been looking at the Volvo XC60. 4WD, has all the options and comes in at 390bhp. The downside, the most affordable are more than £150 a month extra and e to 4 years old.

We also have a 4 year old who is quickly outgrowing the backseat of my 6 series as there's no legroom behind me.

What would you do? Hold out for another 6 - 8 months realistically, or bite the bullet and swap?

If swap, anyone have any experience with Volvo hybrids? Or any other options?
I binned my order for the hybrid a couple of months ago. Ordered a new cx30 and collection is mid July.

If you're coming from a BMW the Volvo isn't going to be anywhere near the BM for driving pleasure. It's going to be a cruiser and very few gearboxes work as well as the ZF 8HP used in most bmw rwd cars.

I'd also say that the power and 0-60 aren't the main thing. I've been driving a lockdown car, a 1.0 Peugeot 108 and it's a hoot to drive. I've driven S6s and the like and my cars now are usually around 190 brake and I don't really miss the extra grunt.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm in a similar situation - hybrid ordered Nov21. Personally I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. I've looked at alternatives but nothing grabs me. I don't like the Kia Sportage. A friend has a Volvo XC60 mild hybrid, about 18 months old, but he doesn't particularly like it and says he wouldn't buy one again. Too heavy and lumbering and very, very juicy. I would like to buy a full EV but delivery times are just as mad on everything I'd consider. At the moment my best option on price and delivery seems to be stick with the hybrid Tig.

That's me though. Everybody has different pressures. I've paid off the PCP on my SEL and that will suit me for as long as it takes. If it all goes completely mad and VW do something like remove the price guarantee I'll just cancel and drive the Tig for as long as it takes for things to return to some sort of normality. In a year or two there will be more options of full EV and I might go that way? In between time I think people just drive themselves slightly bonkers calling their dealers every other week, to be told the same BS. But, as I said, different pressures.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just when you think things can't get any worse it seems that because of the situation in Ukraine the UK may decide to hold next year's Eurovision Song Contest.......... 😟

• Haha
Reactions: Dog Mum and CUK

·
Registered
10 Posts
We did have tiguan r-line hybrid on order too and I follow this forum and the more I see the more i feel I did the right decision in cancelling the Tiguan…to cut a long story short the Tiguan wasn’t going to be built in time for an expiring lease, Volvo came up with a r-design mild hybrid (from the phone call to delivery was less than 3 weeks) and have to say it is a very good car it cost more than the tiguan but feels worth it!….also cancelled an ID3 for a Volvo C40 and should be about 6 months from order to delivery….the ID3 for me was going to be 60weeks + after the build got cancelled

·
Registered
410 Posts
For those like myself, who are looking for alternatives to the Tiguan, the new BMW X1 looks a good prospect but as always, until I see one in the flesh and drive it, I cannot be sure. Interestingly, if I spec up a new Tiguan as close to my current car as possible, an equivalent BMW X1's list price is not much more. Of course, I doubt there will be any discounts on a new BMW but there might be on a Tiguan. Just another option to consider. Luckily I am in no rush.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If people start cancelling do you think they will willingly give back the deposit, I've not got much experience of cancelling an order but I can imagine they will play up a bit, I wonder if someone had this experience with VW?

·
Registered
697 Posts
If people start cancelling do you think they will willingly give back the deposit, I've not got much experience of cancelling an order but I can imagine they will play up a bit, I wonder if someone had this experience with VW?
I think it depends on what they told you when you placed the order and who you ordered with.

If you ordered through an agent, like Drive The Deal, then they apply a cancellation fee, they justify it because they have done work on your behalf and if they refund you then they are out of pocket.

If you bought from a dealer or VW then I imagine that most wI’ll refund unless the build has actually started. Even then they might be happy to refund because they know that they will have buyers lining up to buy your car for more than you were going to pay.

But if the dealer wants to play hard then I guess it depends on what they told you at the time. If they were open and said that the order will take 12 months and you want to cancel after 8, I would argue that most will side with the dealer as you are pulling out of the agreement.

However, if you are like most of us, told the car would be car would be delivered in 6 months and after 10 months you still don’t have a build date then I would argue that most would side with the buyer as the dealer is not delivering what was agreed.

Basically everyone’s situation is different but I imagine that you would have no problem getting your deposit back unless you’ve gone with someone like Drive The Deal.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
863 Posts
You need to check the Terms & Conditions. A Dealer may well decide to refund the deposit simply as a goodwill gesture and to avoid any bad publicity but legally you may well find that you are not entitled to a refund and may even be liable for the full purchase price. However, with such lengthy deliveries and the fact that Dealers can most likely sell any cancelled orders to someone else for a higher price you may well be okay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it depends on what they told you when you placed the order and who you ordered with.

If you ordered through an agent, like Drive The Deal, then they apply a cancellation fee, they justify it because they have done work on your behalf and if they refund you then they are out of pocket.

If you bought from a dealer or VW then I imagine that most wI’ll refund unless the build has actually started. Even then they might be happy to refund because they know that they will have buyers lining up to buy your car for more than you were going to pay.

But if the dealer wants to play hard then I guess it depends on what they told you at the time. If they were open and said that the order will take 12 months and you want to cancel after 8, I would argue that most will side with the dealer as you are pulling out of the agreement.

However, if you are like most of us, told the car would be car would be delivered in 6 months and after 10 months you still don’t have a build date then I would argue that most would side with the buyer as the dealer is not delivering what was agreed.

Basically everyone’s situation is different but I imagine that you would have no problem getting your deposit back unless you’ve gone with someone like Drive The Deal.

Cheers,

Nigel
Thanks Nigel, makes sense. They told me March 22 (I knew it was optimistic at the time), but it might just put me in a good position if I need to cancel. Thanks for your advice 🙂

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to check the Terms & Conditions. A Dealer may well decide to refund the deposit simply as a goodwill gesture and to avoid any bad publicity but legally you may well find that you are not entitled to a refund and may even be liable for the full purchase price. However, with such lengthy deliveries and the fact that Dealers can most likely sell any cancelled orders to someone else for a higher price you may well be okay.
Yes good idea, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think they’d return your deposit pretty happily. Reason for this is it means they can resale it at probably a much higher list price and also with less of the VW contributions too. They won’t struggle to sell it at all.

Reactions: OrbitalOsprey
1 - 20 of 36 Posts