Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
The thing with the Tiguan is regardless of what estimated build weeks you are given you should plan for November 2023. The question then becomes - can you wait long.

I still maintain that there is ‘something wrong in the state of VW’, sure supply, distribution and staffing issues are impacting all car manufacturers but VW seem to be faring much worse than anyone else. Indeed other car manufacturers are beginning to get back on track whereas VW is still getting worse.

As I see it the cars that VW are processing now were ordered in June 2021 which suggests that they have 12 months of backlog. How can they clear that, even if everything were back to normal and they were able to increase production by 25% it will still take 3-4 years to get back to situation normal.

Back in February, I had the opportunity to buy a Kia Sportage which could have been delivered in April/May this year. But although close, I preferred the Tiguan and based on assurances from VW I decided to stick with the Tiguan - now wondering whether I made a mistake.

BTW, I test drove a Volvo XC40, a petrol, not a PHEV, on paper I was convinced that was the car I was going to buy but I was so disappointed by the drive - I simply didn’t like the automatic gearbox. There was a lot of lag and the gears would scream before shifting up. It was enough to put me off unfortunately, because otherwise it was a lovely car.

Also I believe that Volvo have got their act together and are producing cars in under 6 months.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: Dubzie1986

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi Nigel

I am looking at replacing my car and the XC40 is one on my list (I am planing to test drive one next week). I am looking at the XC40 Ultimate B4 mild-hybrid - was that the car you test drove as if it has the problems you suggest, I may not bother?

Thanks

John
No I drove a petrol one. I found that there was a definite delay when pulling away from a stop. You put your foot down, count to 2 and then the power would come on. Also when driving it seemed to keep the car in lower gear than move that I would have expected. Made it sound like the engine was screaming at times. I wasn’t in sport mode. Please don’t let this stop you off the test drive though.

Reactions: John27

·
Registered
822 Posts
Thanks for replying. I didn't think they made a petrol only version now? I thought they were either mild-hybrid, PHEV or EV for the XC40. The mild-hybrid and PHEV both have petrol ICE. Having said that, the Volvo website isn't that clear so I may well be missing something. I will ask the dealer when I get there. As you say, at least worth having a test drive.
Quite probably, bear in mind how long I've been waiting for my Tiguan, ten months since I test drove the Volvo - they definitely had a petrol only version then. They did try and push the hybrid one on me but it was over the luxury tax threshold which I was determined to avoid back then - with hindsight that was futile.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: John27

·
Registered
822 Posts
If people start cancelling do you think they will willingly give back the deposit, I've not got much experience of cancelling an order but I can imagine they will play up a bit, I wonder if someone had this experience with VW?
I think it depends on what they told you when you placed the order and who you ordered with.

If you ordered through an agent, like Drive The Deal, then they apply a cancellation fee, they justify it because they have done work on your behalf and if they refund you then they are out of pocket.

If you bought from a dealer or VW then I imagine that most wI’ll refund unless the build has actually started. Even then they might be happy to refund because they know that they will have buyers lining up to buy your car for more than you were going to pay.

But if the dealer wants to play hard then I guess it depends on what they told you at the time. If they were open and said that the order will take 12 months and you want to cancel after 8, I would argue that most will side with the dealer as you are pulling out of the agreement.

However, if you are like most of us, told the car would be car would be delivered in 6 months and after 10 months you still don’t have a build date then I would argue that most would side with the buyer as the dealer is not delivering what was agreed.

Basically everyone’s situation is different but I imagine that you would have no problem getting your deposit back unless you’ve gone with someone like Drive The Deal.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
822 Posts
I included the CX-5 and CX-30 in my search for cars. Test drove both and whilst I was slightly impressed I found them slightly lacking. I found the infotainment system was quite dated and sluggish and some of the aesthetics a little strange. Didn’t quite grab me. What I was not keen on is the normally aspirated engines - which have to go big capacity (2.5L) to get the same power as the smaller VW turbo engines (2.0L)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts