Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Three part comment:
  1. Have you considered the Mazda CX-60 PHEV? - slightly larger than the Tiguan, more power (329HP combined) and equivalent toys and equipment CX-60 drive. I've just had a confirmed build date in July from Mazda, which equates with August/early September delivery. I've no idea what date they would give you if you ordered today.
  2. My Tiguan PHEV order, with lots of options, is build week 49 (early December). I asked my VW dealer where I stood with cancellation and he said I could cancel any time before build, and even after build they would have no problem selling it as a cancelled order. I've left the order in place in case there is a disaster with the Mazda delivery.
  3. Before I ordered the VW I nearly placed an order for the Volvo XC-40, but at the time they just dropped a number of driver assistance features, which I considered non-negotiable. I would check if you would be getting the features you want. Of course, if I had been more flexible I would be driving a Volvo now.
I would say that there is no downside to leaving your order in place - check with your dealer. In the meantime, take a good look around - what is the lead time on the Cupra for instance?

Good luck!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I included the CX-5 and CX-30 in my search for cars. Test drove both and whilst I was slightly impressed I found them slightly lacking. I found the infotainment system was quite dated and sluggish and some of the aesthetics a little strange. Didn’t quite grab me. What I was not keen on is the normally aspirated engines - which have to go big capacity (2.5L) to get the same power as the smaller VW turbo engines (2.0L)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I briefly owned a few month old Mazda 3 in between two 1 series and found it nice enough but a bit cheap compared. Couldn’t get happy with it so chopped it in for another 1 series

·
Registered
255 Posts
The long delivery times means the prices of all cars has shot up disproportionately compared to the fixed price on the Tig. The Mazda , for example, would be 8k more.

·
Registered
2018 Silver R-Line 2.0TDI 190. Leather, Heated screen, phone charger, side scan.
73 Posts
The long delivery times means the prices of all cars has shot up disproportionately compared to the fixed price on the Tig. The Mazda , for example, would be 8k more.
I got a offered a deal on a Mazda CX5 GT Sport 2.5L in April: £33,300. Its gone up 1K since then but still under the 40K luxury car tax threshold.

·
Registered
2018 Silver R-Line 2.0TDI 190. Leather, Heated screen, phone charger, side scan.
73 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'll keep an eye on it. They do hybrids in other models, I would think it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll keep an eye on it. They do hybrids in other models, I would think it's only a matter of time.
It might be a while for a PHEV CX-5 - Mazda only do one PHEV which is the soon to be launched CX-60. Their roadmap covers the next year and covers new 6 cylinder engines for the CX-60 (both diesel and petrol). Also there should be an interesting range extender version of the electric CX-30. I am surprised that there are not more range extender models from other manufacturers - you get the simplicity of on only-electric drive train (no clutch, gearbox etc). No range anxiety because the petrol engine recharges the battery on long journeys and the petrol generator can run at its most efficient revs. On short journeys you top up the battery from your home charger. Nissan come close with their e-Power on the new Quashqai, but it has only a small battery and the petrol generator has to run all the time so fuel consumption is comparable to a normal mild hybrid.
Am I the only one who thinks that a range extender is a better stepping stone in our path to full electrification?

·
Registered
880 Posts
It might be a while for a PHEV CX-5 - Mazda only do one PHEV which is the soon to be launched CX-60. Their roadmap covers the next year and covers new 6 cylinder engines for the CX-60 (both diesel and petrol). Also there should be an interesting range extender version of the electric CX-30. I am surprised that there are not more range extender models from other manufacturers - you get the simplicity of on only-electric drive train (no clutch, gearbox etc). No range anxiety because the petrol engine recharges the battery on long journeys and the petrol generator can run at its most efficient revs. On short journeys you top up the battery from your home charger. Nissan come close with their e-Power on the new Quashqai, but it has only a small battery and the petrol generator has to run all the time so fuel consumption is comparable to a normal mild hybrid.
Am I the only one who thinks that a range extender is a better stepping stone in our path to full electrification?
I have one of the London taxi vans which does this and maybe it’s just that particular product but it’s noisy and not very nice to drive with the range extender running.. also the petrol tank is small and it’s averaging about 35mpg

·
Registered
863 Posts
It might be a while for a PHEV CX-5 - Mazda only do one PHEV which is the soon to be launched CX-60.
That's the one that would be 8k over my Tig order. It looks like a good option but maybe next time.
Still don't understand how Mazda have got away with naming it CX-60. Volvo have the XC-60 and both cars look very similar to me let alone the identical name albeit with the CX and XC the other way around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an e-Hybrid R-Line on order, placed the order in March and only added the auto tailgate/easy access pack to keep things simple. I know I won't see my car until 2023, and that suits me and the deal I got.

Seeing how VW will start placing orders for components, changing production lines to gear up for the new 2024 Tiguan whether all current orders will be completed prior to go live, or they will offer a transfer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Assuming the new model is end of second or the third quarter of the year - which I think is usual? I wouldn't think this is going to be an issue for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one of the London taxi vans which does this and maybe it’s just that particular product but it’s noisy and not very nice to drive with the range extender running.. also the petrol tank is small and it’s averaging about 35mpg
That's a shame, thanks for the real world information. It feels as though it should be possible to keep a modern well insulated engine quiet, particularly when it isn't connected to the gearbox or transmission, but obviously LEVC haven't managed that with their Volvo engined taxi.
I hope the CX-30 is implemented better 🤞(warning US site may not reflect European availability)

Reactions: Sparkie1984
21 - 36 of 36 Posts