Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Any advice from owners of either? Car will mostly be for the school run and weekend plus the yearly holidays at the other end of the uk. I'll be going for the DSG gearbox.

Will the 1.4 be strong enough, or will it constantly be working hard given the large vehicle etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's comments like this that worry me about the 1.4 /150 engine (from a South African website review)

This Tiguan uses the uprated 1.4 TSI turbopetrol engine, which means that it produces peak outputs of 110 kW and 250 Nm of torque. The power is sent to the front wheels via an excellent automatic 6-speed DSG (twin-clutch) transmission that performs shifts almost unnoticeably, as if in the distant background. Freeway acceleration during overtakes feels ample and it will happily cruise at the national speed limit with plenty power in reserve if you need it.

In town, we felt the engine had too much turbo lag at pullaway. If you're turning right at an intersection, it's tricky enough without having to worry about being stranded at the intersection because there wasn't enough poke from the motor to make the turn before the traffic light filter arrow goes out. When the boost does kick in, you've mashed your right foot almost to the floor and mid-intersection wheelspin ensues. It's not the finest driving moment you're likely to have in a car and something you need to be mindful of with this engine...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would think again after having our nissan QQ.
You would get caught out when trying to pull off from a roundabout, it wasnt until you were halfway over that the turbo would cut in.
Took for some hairy moments.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wonder if it's related to the throttle pedal mapping, rather htan the actual power output that is giving the percieved lack of power? Peak torque on this engine is flat from 1750 - 4000 rpm (apparently) - @ 177lb/ft - not huge these days but with peak torque so low I would expect it to drive ok, certainly not laggy like an old school turbo like that review suggests.

The throttle pedal mapping on the diesel 150 gives the impression it is very sluggish due to having to press (what feels like) at least half way to make it go anywhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's still turbo lag. That torque figure is once the turbo has spooled up, and at low revs that takes quite a while. Hence: nothing nothing nothing go!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just ordered my 1.4 DSG, didn't feel the need for the 2.0 or 4WD. Seems plenty powerful to me, unless you are a speed demon

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DH88 said:
Just ordered my 1.4 DSG, didn't feel the need for the 2.0 or 4WD. Seems plenty powerful to me, unless you are a speed demon

Did you actually test drive one?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes a 150hp diesel, and although I appreciate diesel and petrol perform differently, the specs are similar enough for a fair comparison

1 - 12 of 12 Posts