Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I noticed that many of the Tigs have factory fit tow bars and I suspect many other makes have been fitted.

So what do you think the Tig adds or detracts from the towing experience :?:

I love the "rear-view bomb sight" mode on the reversing camera, I can get the Tig within 10mm of the target, without the wife's input :D a nudge with the knee and its there (back saved for another day) ( A bit of stick cut to ensure the hitch is at the right height is useful)

It's very stable towing even in January cross winds.

Cheers

Earl

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I will let you know soon (April) Earl_H ;) :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was very pleased with the mk1 as a tow vehicle. The mk2 is certainly far superior.
The only issue I would raise is the swivel towbar. Whilst it is a lovely design the distance between the ball and rear bumper means there is no room for errors particularly if you own one of the higher level models with painted lower bumpers.
My SE is a little more forgiving in that respect.
Agree with your comments on reversing camera - excellent.
The mk2 feels very stabile at all speeds with the van in tow, had the van on half a dozen times since September.
The other encouraging thing is the very reasonable economy when towing.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Roy said:
The only issue I would raise is the swivel towbar. Whilst it is a lovely design the distance between the ball and rear bumper means there is no room for errors particularly if you own one of the higher level models with painted lower bumpers.
My SE is a little more forgiving in that respect.
Cheers
Roy
I thought this gap between bumper and hitch was very small, potentially an issue with my cargo trailer, and that's without a "damper" thingy, like used with caravans!

·
Registered
207 Posts
All caravans are now produced with a stabiliser head and it is very very tight.
What I have learnt, when reversing to the van is not to use auto hold, makes minor movements smoother. When unhitching, stop put van brake on and then move car forward slightly. These saves the hitch head moving forward into rear bumper when released.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roy thanks for the comments, I shall bear the comment on turning off auto hold in mind on the next hitch. I found out how tight it was the hard way :(

Regards Earl

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Earl_H
Likewise, thank goodness for the lower flexible unpainted rear bumper. Did mine the afternoon I collected car.
Given Alko and Westfalia are German manufacturers you would have thought that there might just have been a three way conversation about spacing requirements.
Never had this problem on my mk1 witter detachable hitch.
Still despite this issue nice piece of kit.
And another word of warning, do not be temped to put a ball cover on, I have, big mistake, when the hitch is retracted it is upside down, so a cover creates a nice bowl to collect water in and rust the ball.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I use a balloon on my tow ball to cover it and stop the water & muck Roy...or a condom :oops: :roll: if you can't get hold of a balloon ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Stumpy
That's a good idea, never had this issue with a detachable. I will try a ballon, it's been a long time since I got "something for the weekend"😉😀
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Roy said:
Hi Stumpy
That's a good idea, never had this issue with a detachable. I will try a ballon, it's been a long time since I got "something for the weekend"😉😀
Cheers
Roy
see how you get on Roy :) I still always use some brake cleaner & dry off before hitching up. Small pack of balloons in tesco was 89p

·
Registered
433 Posts
Fortunately I'm used to the small gap as my current Tig has the factory fitter swivel towbar. I have to remember every time to make sure that the Alko is fully extended before unhitching or it presses into the bumper.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH dear - and I thought the cover was a good idea :( I'll have to get it off tomorrow when I can see :oops:

Earl

·
Registered
433 Posts
on my MK1 the swivel towhook has a cover that you clip in place to hide it away and protect it, is this not the case on the MK2 :shock:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Timbo
No cover on mine hence the issue with a ball cover.
Interested to hear if others are the same.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Same here Roy...no cover on mine, that's why I thought a good substitute was a 'Balloon' slipped over to protect ;) Any pics of the mk1 cover Timbo :?:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hope you can tell from these, cover on cover off. Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk Automotive tire Bumper
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks 'Timbo'....nothing like that .... but a plus point no wire exposed on the tow ball arm as in your pic, it is has been incorporated into the arm

·
Registered
433 Posts
stumpy said:
Thanks 'Timbo'....nothing like that .... but a plus point no wire exposed on the tow ball arm as in your pic, it is has been incorporated into the arm
Is the towhook although hidden away behind the bumper open to the elements then :( Good idea that the wireing is now built into the arm :) :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts