Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to keep my tyres at a constant 2.6 bar pressure (approx 38 psi), and after having a front left tyre repaired around a week a half ago I've had a message that the tyre is at 2.4 bar, so I thought I must pump it up when I get the chance.
Now over the last few days I've noticed the low pressure meassage has gone, and this morning I checked the pressures shown on TPMS. The tyre that was 2.4 is now 2.6, an the other three are 2.8, 2.8, and 2.9 respectively. :?:

Have any of you with TPMS noticed your tyre pressures have risen during this period of warmer weather?, as this is the only reason for the change that I can think of. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Steve,

Compressed air pressure will change with temperature rise/fall. Some tyre centres use nitrogen to inflate tyres as temperature has little affect on the pressure of nitrogen.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The side exposed to the sun will increase in pressure as tyre(s) will be warmer. Dont check on a sunny day.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Steve,

Just to add some numbers for 5°C change expect about 1 P.S.I. pressure change. As Beagler states the "sunny side" will also have a significant difference as insolation will have heated those tyres significantly.

I set my tyres cold on an overcast day and let the TPMS settle then look at the distribution - usually, they all show my set pressure with the rear O/S 1 PSI higher. So then I know that that tyre pressure is showing high and the others are OK.

Hope this helps
Earl

·
Registered
485 Posts
(P1xV1)/T1 = (P2xV2)/T2 Wow, that actually stuck :lol:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Breezer said:
If you do it with a soft brush they cant touch you for it. :roll:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Breezer said:
Don't forget to change temperature to Kelvin and pressure to absolute ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ed1 said:
.. Some tyre centres use nitrogen to inflate tyres as temperature has little affect on the pressure of nitrogen.
This isn't correct (and remember, air is 78% Nitrogen anyway). Dry N2 has the advantage of less corrosion of the wheel over many years - which really isn't a real problem.

The normal reason for one or two tyres have a mysterious temporary higher pressure in them is that the sun has shone on one side of the car for a while when it was parked...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pottsy said:
Ed1 said:
.. Some tyre centres use nitrogen to inflate tyres as temperature has little affect on the pressure of nitrogen.
This isn't correct (and remember, air is 78% Nitrogen anyway). Dry N2 has the advantage of less corrosion of the wheel over many years - which really isn't a real problem.

The normal reason for one or two tyres have a mysterious temporary higher pressure in them is that the sun has shone on one side of the car for a while when it was parked...
Nitrogen does not contain the moisture and other contaminants found in compressed air so, as you drive and the tires heat up, nitrogen filled tires will fluctuate less in temperature and pressure than air filled tires while driving. The bottom line is, you will still see pressure changes with nitrogen but, overall, your tires will run cooler and at a more consistent pressure than if they were filled with air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts