Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some help from all you knowledge form members would be very much appreciated please.

I have a pretty good grasp on how everything's working on the new car but Traffic Jam Assist seems to be bothering me. Can it be switched on and off individually or its it activated automatically when ACC and lane assist on? I was in a traffic jam yesterday on the motorway and it wasn't working, ACC and lane assist where, when travelling along normal (70mph).

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's activated automatically providing its requirements are met. Can you be more specific about it "not working"? Have you had it working before?

Did Lane Assist have the green lines on its indicator on the dash? Did ACC have the white lines on its indicator and was it tracking the vehicle in front (shown by the pic of a car in between the white lines)? What was the distance setting set to? Did the motorway have acceptable lane markings? Road works??

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) can be switched on and off in the car settings. Select 'Car' then settings at the bottom, then scroll to 'Driver Assistance' where you'll find both Lane Assist and TJA, each with their own tick boxes. These can then be switched on and off as necessary using the button on the end of the left hand indicator stalk.

As has been said previously TJA is only available with the DSG gearbox, and will only be available when Lane Assist and ACC are switched on.

Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi folks little more detail.

Lane asset and ACC is working fine. White lines and green light on. i can have it set but when the car slows down to traffic jam speed it changes to the orange colour and won't engage again until the speed increase to 30-40 mph ish.

Has anyone actually had it working and steering in slow moving traffic like this guy here in his Passat?

cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it works fine for me. Is the front of the car clean and free from damage\obstructions? Both the front bumper, radar behind the VW logo and wind screen must be clean.

Other than that I guess a visit to a dealer.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You obviously haven't got the right music playing 😄😄 Good job the cars driving, the 'driver' is to busy videoing.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi all, do we have a definite answer to this? I raised this q prior to purchasing 5 months ago and was told you have to be driving over 40mph for lane assist to activate and tja to work.....
So the car will slow and speed up at low speeds (as long as you don't Come to a complete stop, in which case throttle or resume button needed), but it won't steer at low speeds.

Is my experience anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car is spotless, lane assist is working fine and ACC but when speed drop below 30mph (ish) it switches off. Road markings and conditions remain the same. Does anyone else do this?

cheer

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a DSG Golf a couple of years ago with ACC and when set this would slow to a complete stop if traffic stopped and would then move off again when traffic moved off so what does TJA do more than this?

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
ACS said:
I had a DSG Golf a couple of years ago with ACC and when set this would slow to a complete stop if traffic stopped and would then move off again when traffic moved off so what does TJA do more than this?
TJA is supposed to work with ACC and Lane assist to not only maintain a set distance to the car in front in a traffic jam, but at speeds below 35mph, assuming Lane Assist can see definite lines either side of the vehicle, to actually steer the car as well.
I've used Lane Assist to reasonably good effect, but I would possibly only think of using it on longish motorway journeys, however I have yet to be in a situation which needed the use of TJA, but I will try it should the opportunity arise.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Essjay said:
ACS said:
TJA is supposed to work with ACC and Lane assist to not only maintain a set distance to the car in front in a traffic jam, but at speeds below 35mph, assuming Lane Assist can see definite lines either side of the vehicle, to actually steer the car as well.
I've used Lane Assist to reasonably good effect, but I would possibly only think of using it on longish motorway journeys, however I have yet to be in a situation which needed the use of TJA, but I will try it should the opportunity arise.

Steve
Many thanks Steve

So steers as well OMG, Took me a long time to trust ACC so this will be interesting :roll:

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's just it though, it's doesn't steer under 35mph as lane Assist only activates over that speed. I think the literature is wrong. It does do everything else stated though (albeit if you come to a complete stop for more than a few seconds it will not pull away again on its own - you have to press the resume button or tap the throttle).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok then after a lengthy back and forth with the dealer it now turns out Tiguans don't have traffic jam assist... allegedly.

To get to the bottom of this can any of you guys confirm definitively that your car has it and it works please?

Please don't get confused with ACC and lane assist.

ACC will slow the car down and restart after quick stop in traffic jams. But will not steer the car.

Lane Assist will steer the car but not under 40mph.

Trafic jam assist does both of the above only in slow moving traffic.

im positive the Tiguans were marketed with TJA.

cheers!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mixtu said:
Ok then after a lengthy back and forth with the dealer it now turns out Tiguans don't have traffic jam assist... allegedly.
Hi Mixtu,

I can confirm the Tiguan 2 has TJA known as Stauassistent here in Germany. It is not a standard option over here but is included in the Driver Assistant Plus package which.

I understand there some difference between country models but I quite alarmed by some of the posts on this forum that seem to demonstrate a lack of knowledge by UK VW Dealers on the products they sell. I would certainly expect a VW sales person or any manufacturer car sales person to fully understand the safety features of the car he is selling.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I find Tja rather vague. I can't find any mention in brochures or spec lists for Tiguan in the uk which you would think means it hasn't got it.
But in the handbook it says if you have dsg, Tja is activated by selecting adaptive lane guidance in the menu. No other details. On one occasion I've had the car following the car in front stopping and starting without using accelerator or resume button but Acc was on and I didn't notice any steering effect..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Works in my car atleast!

·
Registered
182 Posts
raven1483 said:
Works in my car atleast!
In your Swedish spec car does it list traffic jam assist under the "car" menu as a feature you can turn on ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep looks like UK spec cars don't Have TJA

FWIW
Dealer told me manuals are basically (minus a few diagrams and pages ) generic to cover a few model. New Tiguan and Passat obviously overlap.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Sometime ago I used the following website to do a full check of my new vehicle using the VIN number. This is well worth the €7.40 it cost for the 9/10 page report which uses all the VW part codes to show what's fitted to the car.

https://www.autodna.com

I've checked through the report, and the page shown here is the only place where there's any mention of Lane Assist, and I can find no mention at all of TJA.
I can only assume, as has been said, that no UK models have been fitted with TJA. :|

Steve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts