Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had my brand new Tiguan for 2 months now. Can you please tell me what kit I need to buy for travelling to France & Belgium (i.e. I think my car already comes with a triangle and first aid kit).

And do we need a high-visibility jacket for each member of the family?

What lamp deflectors should I buy etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
If driving in paris center you need an air quality sticker

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not just Paris - many of the major EU cities have restrictions (mostly the Tigs are OK).

Best thing to do is check each major city on your route (OK its a pain) well before you set off.

For example; Paris - https://certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/ is the link and 4.8 Euro gets you your certificate (Cat2 in my case) in about 4 weeks
  • Scan your V55 - just the cars technical details
    Mess about compressing the file to the correct size (the web page will help you after you try to submit an oversized file...)
    Place order
    You get an e-mail acting as a badge a few days later
    My badge arrived a couple of weeks later
    That's it - good to go (of Paris but Lyon????)

Also remember - Spare Driving Glasses if you need them, Two - not one- High Vis (and you have to get out of the car wearing them...) [I used to carry 4; 2 passengers and 2 for the dogs :D but I think the strict interpretation is that every passenger has to have High Vis - to be fair this is a really good safety thing & I just do it because it makes sense]

Ha quick edit - tell the TIg you are in France it sorts out the headlights etc but remember to set it back to the UK when you return

Have a great time in France - if you see a Grey UK Tig please wave; it may be me

Earl

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im in france. Disneyland in a few weeks time. Driving instead of eurostar so we can go other palces as we choose. Waiting for my badge to be delivered as will no doubt go into paris although the parking scares me! Very rude, inconsiderate drivers over there even compared to london city drivers

·
Registered
399 Posts
I go to Paris (by train/plane but never automobile) regularly and the parking is "unreal"

We sat in a Cafe watching a woman park a small car - the method was
- reverse until you hit the car behind, change lock
- move forward until you hit the car in front, change lock
- repeat above until parked
She actually hit the cars behind/in front 8 times each and when she got out she was 600mm off the kerb and the gap was about 200mm on either end so if the others wanted out they had to hit her!!!

We then realised that the cars she had hit were her neighbours.....

If I had an old style Landrover with the steel bumpers then OK but a Tig's very very expensive plastic bumpers - no way.

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,576 Posts
Touch parking is seen as quite acceptable in many cities around the world, you never put your handbrake on for this very reason, we're just not used to it in the UK.

Natipoo79 - which country are you from?.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,576 Posts
c_w said:
As far as I'm aware we're in the EU ;)
Hence I asked the O.P. which country he's in, his location isn't filled in so he/she/they could be from outside the E.U. and travelling in - who knows, anybody's guess.

·
Registered
953 Posts
CNC said:
c_w said:
As far as I'm aware we're in the EU ;)
Hence I asked the O.P. which country he's in, his location isn't filled in so he/she/they could be from outside the E.U. and travelling in - who knows, anybody's guess.
If his tiggy has a first aid kit I'd say not traveling from the U.K. as are tiggy don't come with first aid kits,

·
Registered
132 Posts
Talking yesterday with a couple from the UK who regularly drive in France I was amazed to hear that you must stop for a minimum of 3 seconds at major road junctions where there is a solid white line (what I guess we would call junctions with 'Halt Major Road Ahead' signs). Someone they know was recently fined for pausing for only 2.6 seconds as recorded by a camera. Sounds crazy but I've just Googled it and seems as though it's true. Something to perhaps be aware of. J.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anyone know if the led lights can be switched to EU side? Some car headlights used to have a toggle switch on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How was your trip? Did you manage to get all the necessary equipment, and was it all worth it?
I tend to think that it is way easier to rent a car somewhere in Europe than try to correspond to all the requirements in different countries. I had never traveled by car before and used to prefer trains (especially because they are cheaper and safer). It is easy to get tickets from dbfahrplan.com, and they will get you to so many places in Europe. It is cool for both people who travel alone and those who travel in groups.
But now I want to try something new and rent a car for a week and go around my country visiting places where I have never been before.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Nah, cars are european homolgated, so pretty much normal driving. There's a setting to switch headlights, which also switches the ACC to check which side is undertaking, and to set kph as a second speed display on the dash. That's pretty much it.
Your just on the wrong side of the car, nearest the kerb, but we've been doing that for decades anyway.

There are minor rules such as carrying ownership and insurance papers (which we don't need to do in the UK). Some countries demand yellow vests in case you break down, France at one point legislated you had to carry your own breathaliser kit, but they've since rowed back on that. The motoring organisations give good list of what's required in each country, and it's no more onerous than making sure you have everything when you go abroad anywhere.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,649 Posts
You also need to check whether the countries you are visiting have specific rules about the use of speed camera detectors (or phone apps), and also the use of dashcams, as the legislation can vary in different countries.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts