Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Treated the Tiggie to a couple of 'extras' today, the first being a new dash camera, and the second, a load-sill protector.
The dash-cam is a DDPai M6+ from Amazon, and 'Techmoan' has done an excellent write up here on his YouTube channel:
The load-sill protector came from 'Rearguards', and I think it really sets the back end off, and will help to protect the rear bumper and sill, here's a link:
[URL=http://www.rearguards.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=RBP900&sid=y9634459iz493y940v83m7w726170u6o][url]http://www.rearguards.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=RBP900&sid=y9634459iz493y940v83m7w726170u6o

All that's left now is to fit the chrome exhaust trims ( would have done that today as well, but it was getting 'kin hot outside ) :D

A couple of pics

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi Steve, best purchase you could ever make, I personally think the 'Dashcam'. I fitted mine in my Audi myself carefully hiding the cable behind the roof lining and the rubber seals coming down the front nearside windscreen pillar then behind the glove box to the centre console. Have you done that or had it hardwired in? As I was looking at other ways to attach mine for the reason being, now & again the suction pad falls away from the screen.
When I eventually get my Tig, I was thinking someway of attaching the cam lower down the windscreen....but don't know where yet, until I can have a twiddle around. The 'rear bumper' protector looks great.
Chris

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris, I did have a dashcam in my Golf, but it wasn't that good so I decided to buy a new one. I''ve done a similar thing in mine, in that I've run the cable to the side pillar, but I've taken mine over the top of the front and rear doors in the rubber seals, and used the 12V socket in the rear......I was lucky, the cable just reached :roll:
The camera fixes to the mount magnetically, making it easy to remove, so the mount itself is permanenly fixed with a pad of VERY sticky 3M tape.
Don't know if you'll come across the same problem that I found, the fact that I've got a sun roof meant that the headlining wasn't exactly tight against the windscreen meaning that the cable kept dropping down. No problem........just used some black foam strip tucked inside to hold it in place.
Great to have for peace of mind, but let's just hope we don't have to use the camera for it's intended purpose. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good tidy job Steve..... Very neat job If I may say so mate......Hmmm you've got me thinking now as I also have a long cable, so could be an option or even run it along the floor into the boot. :idea:
I have been trying without success today to get some 'stainless steel side step bars with the footpads' but can't find anyone doing them at the moment for the mk2 yet, seems a bit early days. I don't really like the VW own ones as they are just a flat step not a rounded bar and a bit over the top money wise.
Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pondered with a dash cam for a while - Spoke to a Roads Traffic Police Sgt who has one fitted to his own personal vehicle. Sys they are a god send in those "50 50" accidents where each drive blames the other.

Any chance you can give us a walkthrough on how you actually fitted it ? - a "dummies guide" would be fantastic ......and rather than use the 12v cig lighter can it be hard wired into the fuse box ?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris, are you sure they are for the mk2 ?, both the description and picture show a mk1.

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
Chris, are you sure they are for the mk2 ?, both the description and picture show a mk1.

Steve
Dam :eek: ......Well spotted Steve, thankyou. :oops: I was looking for ages last night and never noticed...... I will have to ring them. Glad you're on the ball mate ;)

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
How about these Chris ?:
http://germansell.de/gs/product_info.php?products_id=770

Steve
edit: just noticed you didn't want flat bars :roll:
:lol: ...Thanks for your kind help Steve. Yes really I would prefer the round tube/ bar steps, as I had the flat type step on a LR Disco a few years back and were terrible to keep clean. The mud just sits on top of them. I have e-mailed Cobra in Germany to see if they will be doing them soon.
Chris

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One interesting point to note here is that they show a pdf of the fitting instructions on that site, and if you also checked the side bars for the the Seat Ateca on the same site they have identical instructions ;)
Considering both cars are built on the same MQB platform then that's probably not surprising, however in my experience, I've found Seat and Skoda accessories to be a lot cheaper than VW....such as the Skoda Yeti exhaust trims ;) , so it may be that in the near future we could see some considerably cheaper interchangeable parts :mrgreen:

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
One interesting point to note here is that they show a pdf of the fitting instructions on that site, and if you also checked the side bars for the the Seat Ateca on the same site they have identical instructions ;)
Considering both cars are built on the same MQB platform then that's probably not surprising, however in my experience, I've found Seat and Skoda accessories to be a lot cheaper than VW....such as the Skoda Yeti exhaust trims ;) , so it may be that in the near future we could see some considerably cheaper interchangeable parts :mrgreen:

Steve
Yes Steve...that's a good point... :) :idea: :idea: :arrow:

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi DonTim, I'll see if I can get a few photos posted to show where I routed the cable. Didn't go anywhere near the glove box though, as I routed from the drivers side of the rear view mirror to the right hand door pillar and over the front and rear doors to the boot.

Steve.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Switzerland, so for 'right' read 'left' :D

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well here's a few simple pics showing where I routed my cables.

Plant Window Building Vehicle Sky
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Window Wheel
Hood Automotive design Automotive mirror Vehicle Automotive exterior
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Car Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle door
Bumper Automotive exterior Grey Automotive design Vehicle door

The camera's shown in my first post of this thread.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Looking at the mirror fwd there is a square sensor lookin thing at the rear which the camera would block. Thinking the best place is centre bottom.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The square sensor is the light sensor which measures the light level to control the auto headlights. It's on the rear of the mirror on the passenger side, which is why I mounted my camera on the drivers side of the mirror mount where it wouldn't block it.
Admittedly there is a lot less room on the drivers side because of the way the mirror is angled, but I've found my camera just about fits without touching it.

Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts