Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

First time posting. I have been checking the forums in relation to wait times but most of these have been for Diesel engines.

We ordered back toward the end of April with an initial projected build week of 26. As time has passed this has been pushed further and further back. Now looking at week 35 which is really frustrating as it will impact on our ability to sell our current car without having to shell out for another service and MOT.

I'd be curious to hear if other users have had similar or contrasting info about wait times for petrol Tiguan and if anyone can make any sense of it. Might ease my frustration/impatience a little

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have ordered at the beginning of April 2.0 TSI 220 HP (in Czech Republic), and I had been told that it will be max. 5 months. I even had unconfirmed build week 28 but my dealer is now saying that he cannot give me more specific information as the system shows only "to be delayed". I am also frustrated but I just gave up, VW has horrible customer service (apparently dieselgate did not change anything). I also do not have an option to track my order so I am relying on my dealer with all information. I still do not get it as they are making cca 3.5K cars per day in Wolfsburg (not just Tiguans though) and I really do not understand how people ordering cars in May can have then sooner than those who have ordered them in April.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very similar situation to yourself (as per my signature below).

As frustrating as it is, at least it means I have to pay less for returning my lease car back early (not that that fact helps you I know)

I have had no contact with my dealer since agreeing the deal, but I do check in with VW chat every week or fortnight.

I think I read the system is updated on a Wednesday so I usually wait till a Friday to check

·
Registered
90 Posts
My order (from end of March) jumped out from wk 22 (which is was at for a month or two) to 30 something (for a couple of weeks) and then back down to wk 24 where it stayed (and finally changed from unconfirmed to confirmed). Confusingly enough, it was then actually built the week before the confirmed build date and was waiting on Emden at the start of week 24. All I'd suggest is to keep asking vw online chat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It seems there is hope that it will potentially come back as opposed to it continually getting further away. All seems very random.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The problem has come around due to a larger than expected demand for the TSi engines. VW had predicted that in the UK, demand for the petrol models would be around the 5% mark, however with the scare mongering going on around diesels the uptake on petrol has been far higher than that. An unscientific poll I ran on here suggested it was nearer 40% uptake on petrol, for the members who voted. Suggest the prediction of 5% from VW could be wide of the mark by some way. I was chatting with my dealer who told me that petrol Tiguans were now out to nearly 5 months.

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1211&hilit=petrol+vs+diesel+poll

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose that explains it in part, I also had a conversation with the dealer who was telling me I was lucky as new orders were in excess of 6 months, it was only after we had spoke. That I realised I wasn't that lucky as mine is now predicted to be pretty close to that. I am sure there is reason behind it but to a lay person, if petrol orders were so much higher than expected I would have thought they would have shifted some of the build slots to cover the petrol demand. The dealer also told me that they really don't understand how build weeks are allocated either with seemingly no identifiable patterns.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine took exactly 4 months with 30 day shipping time to South Africa. I ordered beginning of Feb. New orders now are being told 6 months for manual and 9 months for DSG so i should feel lucky with my 4 month wait

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nwells78 said:
I suppose that explains it in part, I also had a conversation with the dealer who was telling me I was lucky as new orders were in excess of 6 months, it was only after we had spoke. That I realised I wasn't that lucky as mine is now predicted to be pretty close to that. I am sure there is reason behind it but to a lay person, if petrol orders were so much higher than expected I would have thought they would have shifted some of the build slots to cover the petrol demand. The dealer also told me that they really don't understand how build weeks are allocated either with seemingly no identifiable patterns.
Unfortunately it's not that simple as the production of engines and associated ancilliaries (castings, components such as injectors, pumps, looms etc) have to be ramped up to meet the new demand and that cant happen overnight. Tthey will have thoughts as to whether it's short term demand or longer term and this in turn can cause delay if they got it wrong. Big logistical problems for them I would guess. I'm not defending them, just trying to explain how things can cause supply issues

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Helpful info 😀

1 - 10 of 10 Posts