Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Occasionally when I am driving the odometer reading is replaced by two vehicles. Any idea why/how this happens and what it signifies please

·
Registered
627 Posts
I haven't got my car at the moment but I assume it is an indication of you getting close to a vehicle in front of you so it is showing distance to vehicle in front.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, it is warning you that you are too close to the car in front of you. You can turn this option off under the Car Settings - Driver Assistance Settings if you don't want it to display that anymore.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wynmorgan said:
Thanks. I'm normally very careful about that.
Sorry, I don't want to sound rude but this suggests you didn't even bother to consult the manual.
Having symbol with exclamation mark on the dash surely shows you something important...

View attachment 463

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I personally would never switch off theses safety systems and warnings - I don't think the driver in front would be very happy if you drive into the back of them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
SlimPollack said:
Wynmorgan said:
Thanks. I'm normally very careful about that.
Sorry, I don't want to sound rude but this suggests you didn't even bother to consult the manual.
Having symbol with exclamation mark on the dash surely shows you something important...

Clipboard01.jpg
For info, you did sound rude. Why would someone not turn to a helpful site such as this rather than pore over the manual, which is quite a weighty tome?

Let's not turn into the RTFM brigade.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Breezer,

I didn't want to start flame wars, RTFM or preach anyone. But as we all aware our Tigs are no longer just cars with 4 wheels, engine and steering wheel. They are packed with many useful but sometimes complicated features some of them safety related.

This forum as you noticed is very useful but good luck to anyone causing RTA and then explaining to your insurer / police you didn't actually read owners manual but rather based your car knowledge on forum posts...

To sum up, one of the first paragraphs from this 'no-one-wants-to read' manual says:

Before using your vehicle for the first time, please read and observe the information in this owner's manual. It will quickly help you to become familiar with your vehicle and all of its functions as well as making you aware of dangers to yourself and others and of how these dangers can be avoided.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Before using your vehicle for the first time, please read and observe the information in this owner's manual.....

So we all did this before the test drive too did we? :lol:

And random hire cars? At foreign airports???? :shock:

Get real.

Imho many manuals, for most plant and equipment, are as much about @rse covering for manufacturers/hirers etc, as helping end users.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
One of the major dowsides to the Tiguan manual seems to be the fact that it's neither model nor country specific. They've crammed in all the nuances, gadgets and gizmos from all of the range, without any indication of which model has which option. :?:
My dealer managed to get me a manual to read through before my car was delivered, and it confused me even more without having the car as well. :roll:
I've got no qualms about passing on things I've learned about my car that others may be wondering about, but I would stress that there's a search bar at the top of the forum page which does work well, as a lot of topics have been covered in the past. But please do persevere with the manual even though it may be a bit of a hotch potch. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you have Apple Car Play active, Siri will tell you to stop tailgaiting like an Audi. True Story

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Oddly enough, I enjoy reading the fine manuals. Its amazing what you can find out. You very quickly get to recognise all the bits to ignore (the safety warnings, the how to suck eggs notices) and focus on the detail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't received my Tiggy yet, but I have managed to get a PDF copy of the manual and have read it through. Sad I know, but it should hopefully give me a head start when I finally get the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way I was surprised because I'm anal about not getting close to a vehicle in front. That's why I don't understand why it's happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm almost afraid to ask anymore lol. Suddenly my media screen will not come on. So it means I am unable to use any of those facilities. No radio. No Bluetooth phone. No satnav. Can't find anything in the handbook. Any ideas please.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wynmorgan said:
I'm almost afraid to ask anymore lol. Suddenly my media screen will not come on. So it means I am unable to use any of those facilities. No radio. No Bluetooth phone. No satnav. Can't find anything in the handbook. Any ideas please.
If I remember from posts elsewhere on here, this is a known bug that VW are working on. In the meantime I believe holding the on/off switch down for 15 seconds may do the trick.

What with this, auto-braking and active braking concerns posted on here I'm wondering whether to take delivery in the next couple of weeks ......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I fought for two years to convince VW that my autobreak needed changing on my Mk1. Wrote to VW HQ in UK in the end and they intervened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts