Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the Tiguan back at the dealer to check out a few things but thought I'd ask here if anyone has had a tyre pressure error

Every few weeks, I get a tyre pressure is low warning only to find the car is for no reason suddenly in "Fully Loaded" mode and thus expecting 45PSI in the tyres. I put the setting back to "Normal" and at 38PSI, all is fine. But just randomly out of the blue, it changes back and I get the warning again. It happened this morning on the way to the dealer with no passengers, nothing in the boot, nothing on the seats.

Maybe it's telling me I need to go on a diet :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had that as well a couple of times. It shows the 2 rear types being low and when I looked it was set on Fully Loaded and when I set it back to Normal it was fine again. It has done that to 2 twice in the month that I have had that car now.

The other day I did go into the Setup Menu for the car and under the Tyres setting I switched it from Normal to Comfort setting and then went back in as set it back to Normal and so far it seems to have stayed on that but it has only been a couple of days now so am still keeping my eye on it. If it happens again I was going to speak to my dealer to see what they say, would be good to hear what your say if they find anything.

Cheers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NZ_TigR said:
I have had that as well a couple of times. It shows the 2 rear types being low and when I looked it was set on Fully Loaded and when I set it back to Normal it was fine again. It has done that to 2 twice in the month that I have had that car now.

The other day I did go into the Setup Menu for the car and under the Tyres setting I switched it from Normal to Comfort setting and then went back in as set it back to Normal and so far it seems to have stayed on that but it has only been a couple of days now so am still keeping my eye on it. If it happens again I was going to speak to my dealer to see what they say, would be good to hear what your say if they find anything.

Cheers.
Just spoke to the service tech who said they found no problem with the system. I said I'd try your 'fix' the next time it cropped up, if it does. He then said it's possible that when I park in my garage, that the 2nd key that's way down the other end of the house hidden in a drawer, could be causing the car to enter another profile. I'm skeptical as why wouldn't it change back when I enter the car with the key that I use.
Will keep you posted how I get on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just an update on this. Last Friday night I went and checked the tyres pressures and top up one of the rear tyres as it was showing a couple of PSI lower than the rest. After checking them all jumped back into the car and went to check the TPMS and got this message: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System is deactivated as no sensors available.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Mode of transport

I thought it might need to go for a bit of a drive so did a 10 minute run on the motorway but still same message. Went home and parked it in the car port and left it there until Sunday when I moved it out to clean it and still the same message. Monday I was driving for about 20 minutes on mixed roads and motorway when suddenly it went ding and message came up on the Active Info Display to same the tyre pressure monitoring was active again. Checked and sure enough if was showing me the all the tyre pressures again.

I had to drop my car back into the dealers (they are sorting out an issue with marks on the paint from the boat tripped from Europe to here in NZ) and mentioned this to them. They ran diagnostics on the car but couldn't find any errors but were surprised at how long it took for the system to reactivate, they said it should be instantaneous since it is an active monitoring system unlike what was on my old MK6 Golf. They did say there was a software update for the TPMS system so they have loaded this to hopefully solve this issue. I am also wondering if the software update will solve the issue with it defaulting back to being set to Fully Loaded. I am waiting to get my car back from the dealer and will then monitor it. If you are still having issue with yours defaulting back to Fully Loaded as well then it might be worth checking with your dealer if there is an update for the TPMS there as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Thanks for that. Hope it sorts it. Mine hasn't faulted again... touch wood. I had a software update for the passenger seatbelt pretensioner issue so maybe this was fixed in this too?? Hope it works out. Weird that these monitoring systems don't record a fault. And a number of times, I've had a fault flash up but the message disappears too quickly for me to grab a pic of the error notice

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just had my O/S/R tyre come up low pressure, it was about 2lbs lower than the others which is a bit overkill IMHO, so will be keeping my eye on the pressures to make sure I don't have a puncture.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Mental **** said:
Just had my O/S/R tyre come up low pressure, it was about 2lbs lower than the others which is a bit overkill IMHO, so will be keeping my eye on the pressures to make sure I don't have a puncture.

I'm assuming you have 'self seal' tyres on your SEL, so if you have got a nail or some other object in the tyre, then it would self seal and you shouldn't notice any further drop in pressure.
However it would be safer to also visually check the tyre as well, as the foreign object may be in such a place as to need the tyre repairing. I've had a small nail in mine before which I removed, and the tyre resealed itself. I only needed to reinflate to the correct pressure and it's been fine ever since.

Whether you need a repair or not really depends on the size and position of the foreign object.

Steve

·
Registered
217 Posts
One thing that would block the sensor signal is using metal valve caps. The originals are plastic and metal replacements are not recommended by VW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts