Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't go for the extra tyre pressure monitor option, however I check them on a regular basis and I've noticed an all round drop of 2 - 3 psi over the course of a couple of weeks (Approx 600 miles mixed town & motorway driving). Don't know if this normal, as I've never noticed such a consistent drop in other vehicles I've been running - Could it be that the relatively high set pressure of 38psi causes more natural seepage ?
Pressures are always checked cold using an accurate dial gauge (I've compared it against a calibrated gauge at work), rather than rely on the digital readout at my local supermarket which is always a couple of psi on the low side.
Anybody else had similar issues of having to top up the air all round on a regular basis ?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Malcm59 said:
I didn't go for the extra tyre pressure monitor option, however I check them on a regular basis and I've noticed an all round drop of 2 - 3 psi over the course of a couple of weeks (Approx 600 miles mixed town & motorway driving). Don't know if this normal, as I've never noticed such a consistent drop in other vehicles I've been running - Could it be that the relatively high set pressure of 38psi causes more natural seepage ?
Pressures are always checked cold using an accurate dial gauge (I've compared it against a calibrated gauge at work), rather than rely on the digital readout at my local supermarket which is always a couple of psi on the low side.
Anybody else had similar issues of having to top up the air all round on a regular basis ?
Hi Malcm59,

I have the tyre pressure monitoring system but also check tyre pressures regularly and have not noticed a drop in pressure at all and the car will soon have its first birthday. I do adjust the tyre pressures when fully loaded which is maybe once every 6 weeks or so.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Like DeT I have the TPMS as well, but still check manually quite regularly.
I usually set to 38psi all round, but I've noticed when starting the car after it's been standing overnight, the TPMS usually shows all at around 36psi, obviously due to the tyres being a lot colder.
However, even after a short drive, then checking again, they soon get back to 38.
What's interesting is that even though the TPMS was set when they were 38, the system is quite happy to let them drop to 36 overnight without bringing up a warning on startup.

Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
Every time you put a gauge on the valve to check them you will loose a bit of air. This may not seem much but over a course of a few weeks it will add up. Also worth checking you have covers on all the valves as dirt can get in and ruin them. This is especially so on TPMS vehicles as usually the individual valve is the sensor unlike non TPMS that use rolling circumference. If the sensors are anything like BMW I have seen 5-10psi drop before the system warned of impending deflation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I noticed that my wheels lost pressure regularly when the car was new (2 to 3 PSI/week) it looked like I had minor leaks and initially I put it down to the TPMS valves.

After about 6K, however, the wheels settled and only need topping up infrequently.

I have been told that this is due to the wheels not quite sealing on the paint finish on the rims and after a little wearing in it stops leaking.

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Like I say, it's not a major issue - just something to keep an eye on
:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I check my preassures at least every 2nd week and actually thought it was strange that I never had to adjust ( except Load alterations) ive only had it going on months but honestly seen next to nil loss...

Maybe your valves are faulty, biggest cause of seepage.

Cheers
Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts