Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an earlier thread highlighting the fact that there was an Australian recall campaign for the Tiguan, which related to an issue with the laser welding on the front seats.

It turns out it's not just for Australia as I've just got a recall letter from dvla (uk) for the exact same issue.

The letter says: "safety recall: 72F9 - front seat backrest."

It goes onto say that the front seat backrest weld my not be strong enough in the event of an accident. The check will take a minimum of half an hour and if found to be defective the back rests will have to be replaced and this will take two hours, but it may take longer.

To be honest I think it's pretty poor quality control from vw. Of course with anything new there can be teething problems, but given that it's something that should be well established, i.e. Seat production, I think it's a bit poor.

Just wondered if anyone else has had the letter, or had the check undertaken? I wondered what it involved in terms of stripping down the seats etc. Not too keen on the dealer pulling the seats apart really, but under the circumstances I've just got to hope they do a good job and everything is sorted without any dramas.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Haven't received anything...

Never had a VW before but is there any VW website where based on your VIN you can check whether your car is affected with any recall at all?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
SlimPollack said:
Haven't received anything...

Never had a VW before but is there any VW website where based on your VIN you can check whether your car is affected with any recall at all?
Slim, yes there is,

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/recallsSubmit

Just put my VIN no. In and it came up clear. :)

Steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what vw are up to really. I just checked their online vin checker and it came back as:

"Good news, there are no outstanding recalls for this vehicle."

Even though I'm sat here with a letter from them and dvla stating my chassis number and the need for the recall. :roll:

Might be worth double checking with dealers to make sure your car is or isn't included.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the link to the Australian recall and the vin list for their cars.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/volkswagen-group-australia-my2017-tiguan

This was provided in the original thread, but having just checked my vin, I have car with a vin just a few hundred before these. I remember essjay saying that his vin was about 3000 before this list. There has clearly been a manufacturing issue with the seats which affects quite a large number of cars.

Incidentally my car was built early September 2016, so any around that time I think would also need checking.

Cheers axel

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Sorry Axel, our posts obviously crossed, but still with the same info :D

Steve

·
Registered
387 Posts
All

Mine got recalled and checked in the UK in December - I posted a comment at the time because it seemed odd that a seat failure should not getting more prominence.

One point - I'm sure that the driver's seat was changed :shock: but the dealers say it's the same seat :eek: - the difference was so noticeable I complained that they had messed the seat up.

It's clear that VWUK and the dealer network were aware of the issue then, so why you are getting conflicting info now worries me

Good Luck

Earl

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
FTT said:
yep got letter Friday will book it in for next week :(
:eek: :eek: :roll:

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Made a quick call this morning to my dealership, and luckily 'No' recall for my Tig...phew. :idea: :arrow: Could the leather electric seats be different to the cloth fabric seats, as mine are leather....just a thought, as 'Essjay' has leather also I notice.......and is clear/ok

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
stumpy said:
Made a quick call this morning to my dealership, and luckily 'No' recall for my Tig...phew. :idea: :arrow: Could the leather electric seats be different to the cloth fabric seats, as mine are leather....just a thought, as 'Essjay' has leather also I notice.......and is clear/ok
Great minds think alike Stumpy :lol: I had exactly the same thought and was going to post as well, although I've not checked with my dealer.
Let's hope our assumptions (and your dealer's) are correct!

Steve

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It does seem to be different models. I base this on the fact that I've got an se nav model and ftt has r line, and we've both got the recall. Mine are cloth though, but don't know about ftt.

Just come off the phone to the dealer who has confirmed my car is in the vin range requiring the recall. I asked about what they did exactly and they said that to check the seats they need to fully wind the backrest forward and then Unclip the seat base to expose the mechanism between the seat base and backrest. That is where the laser weld/joint is. If it has been welded then everything is fine. If not then it's two new seats :roll:

Cars booked in for inspection on Feb 10th. Fingers crossed it doesn't need two new seats, especially as they end only done 600 miles :!: more importantly I don't want them pulling out my interior and refitting a new one, given the high chance of them scratching or damaging something. The dealer did say they have checked 2 up to now and both have been fine.

Cheers axel

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
One other thing to take into consideration is that with the leather upholstery, the drivers seat is electrically operated, but the passenger seat remains manually operated (at least here in the UK). This is probably going to make each mechanism completely different. So could this affect one seat and not the other?. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Axel mine are the standard R line seats, booked in for the 08/02/17, fingers crossed it will be ok ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
FTT said:
Axel mine are the standard R line seats, booked in for the 08/02/17, fingers crossed it will be ok ;)
At Corkills Wigan 'FTT' :?: :?:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts