Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of quick questions from a newbie

1) How on earth do you store the parcel shelf under the boot floor? It has instructions on the underside of the shelf itself and they make sense but I cannot see any way of doing it without it damaging the parcel shelf

2) I have fitted the CarStick add on for permanent internet access from the car. Is there more than 1 USB port on the car as I would really love to use the MirrorLink and Carplay capability also but can only find one port in the centre console.

Forgive me for being so green but I'm a bit lost here. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Could you not fit the CarStick in the usb socket at the rear of the centre console ?

Steve

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Sorry guys, you are quite right, I was confusing the 12v socket between the front seats with a usb socket. You could still use a usb adaptor in there though.
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the 12v socket you can see by the air con controls from the rear seats!

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
To be honest, I originally thought there was a USB outlet on that rear console but obviously couldn't find it a few days ago when I thought of using it to charge something. There must have been a promo picture somewhere with one in it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the reason for the price hike of 260 euros for the discover media around end of june/ begining of July was because they made that change. As well as the induction phone charging (Qi) they also added a phone box (whatever that is? I imagine a tray in centre console) and added a 2nd USB port there....again don't know if that is europe only!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Weirdfish said:
To be honest, I originally thought there was a USB outlet on that rear console but obviously couldn't find it a few days ago when I thought of using it to charge something. There must have been a promo picture somewhere with one in it.
You thought right! This is a still from one of Thomas's videos on Autogefuhl (YouTube). It seems it was there originally but for some reason we don't have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
For those yet to receive their new Tigs. Get the dealer to show you how to stow the parcel shelf as its really not easy. I still can't do it and broke a lug of the side. Has anyone else managed it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies folks, sorry have been away from phone signal for a few days so couldn't reply.

Well my tig has only got the 1 USB port, of course I could use a 12v -> USB adapter but the problem is that the USB port connects to the discover NAV and is used for both Car Play and the Car Stick so a 12v socket will never work as it won't connect the USB to the car. I could use a hub but it seems rather silly that something like the Car Stick is made and there is no discreet place to put it. Even the socket at the rear seats as shown in the previous post is not any good, the Car Stick is like a USB 4G dongle so pokes out a good 2 inches from the socket, one accidental kick from a little rascal in the back and it would snapped off and the port broken. I would have suggested in the glove box or tucked up in the boot somewhere if the signal was ok.

I have plugged the Car Stick into the centre console as stop gap but will likely get a USB hub and wire this into the existing port and tuck the car stick up our of the way behind the dash.

Re the parcel shelf - again thanks for the replies, I will need to get the dealer to show me as like the previous poster I was about to break the lug trying to get it to fit and stopped. If anyone has done this and could post a video it would be much appreciated, if I do manage to get it done I will post a video.

Does anyone have one of the Tigs with Qi charging and the extra USB port? would like the Qi charger, the space at the front USB port is begging for a Qi matt there!

Thanks again for all the support!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll give it a go with what I have lieing about and see what happens. Very inconsiderate that they don't provide an out of site USB for the stick and one for the phone aswell.

Still no idea how to make the parcel shelf work also, do some Tigs come without a spare wheel as my has one and this could be the difference?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thank goodness - I'm not loosing it

I also have seen the red needle(s) on the demo car - or at least the adverts; so expected red; why the insipid white Mr VW?

The rear shelf storage is also a total gag; 6 absolutly top of the range mechanical engineers with over 220 years experience, spent 1 hour trying to fit the shelf; their conclusion - its 15mm bigger than the gap in all aspects = it will not fit = another VW fail.

The rear USB again on the demo and in the adverts but not on my car.

Will admit I'm beginning to reconsider the purchase

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe the reason why we cant store the parcel shelf under the boot floor is that UK models get a space saving spare wheel as standard where as other markets it is an option and have to make do with a can of foam.

Think Id rather have a spare as cleaning out the gunk when getting the repair is a pain.

Regarding the rear USB is this not limited to the Discovery Pro? Anyone with Discovery Pro confirm this?

Alternatively it could included as part of the wireless charging/phone signal booster package which is an option we dont get in the UK yet, but I believe is going to be an option in 2017.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Wsbtaylor said:
I believe the reason why we cant store the parcel shelf under the boot floor is that UK models get a space saving spare wheel as standard where as other markets it is an option and have to make do with a can of foam.

Think Id rather have a spare as cleaning out the gunk when getting the repair is a pain.

Regarding the rear USB is this not limited to the Discovery Pro? Anyone with Discovery Pro confirm this?

Alternatively it could included as part of the wireless charging/phone signal booster package which is an option we dont get in the UK yet, but I believe is going to be an option in 2017.
Well I for one would rather have a space saving spare wheel any day than a can of 'foam'.....If I need the space, I will just put the parcel shelf in the garage for the time being..... :) :idea: :arrow:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wsbtaylor said:

you are right - on the continent the spare wheel is an option - didnt go for it as tyres are meant to be self sealing - obviously only for punctures around tread and not for a catastrophic failure....i have gone down that road...so should be able to park the parcel shelf!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts