Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Discover Infotainment system is a button labelled voice. The manual describes how this is used to set up voice control. However, when I press it a message says to contact the dealer as an activation key is required. Presumably it costs more money . Is it worth it?

·
Registered
239 Posts
niggly58 said:
On my Discover Infotainment system is a button labelled voice. The manual describes how this is used to set up voice control. However, when I press it a message says to contact the dealer as an activation key is required. Presumably it costs more money . Is it worth it?
Hi niggly58,

The voice control was standard on my car here in Germany and it is quite useful if you like to keep your eyes on the road rather than pressing buttons and entering data. With voice activation I make use of it for the phone, navigation, stereo and media. If the voice control is not sure what you are asking it will give guidance such a list of options with a number so you just have to reply with the option number instead of saying the word or words.
In the German language I have found it to be very accurate in understanding what I am saying when I give voice commands for navigation and telephoning people from my contact list.
Not sure what your activation cost would be but if it is in your budget and something you would find useful I would go for it as it is accurate and makes driving safer in my opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll agree with DeT. Takes a while to get used to it and some commands need to be quite exact. I spent months giving the town and it would insist on a road and number even though I just wanted rough guidance. Realised after 3 months after saying the town, just answer back start navigation and it will take you to the centre.
It's nothing as feature rich as Siri but I wouldn't be without, esp when I'm lost and saying navigation home.
Think it's about £2xx to activate or £185 when you build the car.

Sean

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Sounds useful, but I'm curious as to why they are charging extra for functionality that others include for free. Perhaps there are licensing costs involved but given the price we pay for the cars you might expect it to be available for free if you needed it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
....."but given the price we pay for the cars you might expect it to be available for free if you needed it."....

I totally agree with you niggly58

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, me as well. To have to pay for voice and keyless on a car the price of this is just indicative of money grabbing. My wife's 2013 Swift Sport has them and it cost about a third of the Tiguan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi
I tried to add voice control after I ordered the car, unfortunately just after my build date was confirmed. So the dealer said I missed the window. But, she said that she thought it was something that can be activated after build. I was more irritated with the idea I would have a button on the steering wheel that didn't work, although I do use voice activation on my CC, which I find useful sometimes. So, I have asked for it to be retro activated, the agent said she'll let me know. Haven't discussed a price yet, but I was expecting the same as during the build.

I'll let you know how I get on. Should have my car in the next two weeks.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wonder if it's something that's already there that can be switched on via VCDS?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
I wonder if it's something that's already there that can be switched on via VCDS?
Very rarely use it, all I get is the lady saying pardon, or it doesn't understand brummie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Came standard our cars here in NZ. The system works pretty well and is intuitive. I dislike the machine voices though. British English male sounds better than female. American English only has female, sounds good, but doesn't understand me most of the time, and the German is very good overall.

·
Registered
90 Posts
the other option is to use apple car play or android auto as they have their own voice features that work without the car having to have 'voice'

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can even use the steering wheel or discover media buttons to access this without having the voice option activated by doing a long press. I access this using android auto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts