Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has bought and fitted the VW Load Bars I would be interested in getting your views on the quality and fit. In particular I would be interested in how the Load bar attach to the roof bars and any photos would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a set of the VW bars along with the 340ltr box. Fitting is easy and all contact with the rails is via thick rubber pads. A special tool is included with the bars that has a torque indicator arrow so that you tighten the individual locking Allen bolt sufficiently, but not too tight, on each corner. As they are made to fit there's no messing around with adjusting the width, just open them up, place on the rails and tighten. There is a rear and a forward bar, they are marked.

The box attaches by sliding the special bolts into the channels on the top of the bars, tighten from inside the box and then close the end cap with the key. I have mine biased to the offside for easier loading so the rubber channel filler strips are on the nearside only, you cut these to length (plenty left).

Happy with mine and used them with the box on a family trip recently. Box is noisy when empty but a lot quieter when loaded.

Quality I'm happy with and not having extra bar jutting out at the side as you will with a generic set is worth the extra alone IMHO.

Would do some better pics but they're off the car now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
CAAPPL,

The other point to mention with the VW roof bars is that the bars are fitted high enough so the sunroof does not foul the items fitted to the roof bars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chas and DeT,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for the information. You have both helped me make my decision. With best wishes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
I have a set of the VW bars along with the 340ltr box. Fitting is easy and all contact with the rails is via thick rubber pads. A special tool is included with the bars that has a torque indicator arrow so that you tighten the individual locking Allen bolt sufficiently, but not too tight, on each corner. As they are made to fit there's no messing around with adjusting the width, just open them up, place on the rails and tighten. There is a rear and a forward bar, they are marked.

The box attaches by sliding the special bolts into the channels on the top of the bars, tighten from inside the box and then close the end cap with the key. I have mine biased to the offside for easier loading so the rubber channel filler strips are on the nearside only, you cut these to length (plenty left).

Happy with mine and used them with the box on a family trip recently. Box is noisy when empty but a lot quieter when loaded.

Quality I'm happy with and not having extra bar jutting out at the side as you will with a generic set is worth the extra alone IMHO.

Would do some better pics but they're off the car now.

Can you use this as a MV Augusta pannier box on you holidays :lol:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Miket said:
It's almost big enough for the wife to consider coming too, so no, not an option :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas said:
Miket said:
It's almost big enough for the wife to consider coming too, so no, not an option :)
OK how about a outboard on the top part, make a good fishing boat

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi all

Just to add a bit of extra (OK it's late) information for people looking for Tig roof bars
I've just purchased the Thule 775 with aero bars - the sunroof opens without fuss.
There is however very little noise from the bars - almost none, even with the roof open and the lead bar directly above me.

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just to clarify, the noise I was experiencing was due to the empty box, not the VW bars. I was surprised when I saw them in the flesh, ones I'd seen on-line (maybe for the Mk1?) were quite round in profile, these are flatter and hopefully more aerodynamic though I yet to run with just the bars on their own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts