Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In December I took advantage of VW's offer of a two year service plan with interest free monthly payments.
I am still waiting for the documents, but looking online, it says the two included services include a software update. Does anyone know if this includes a Satnav update
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was asking because in the paperwork it says including software updates, so perhaps I'll ask the dealer.
VW have been offering free satnav updates for years How to use and update your Sat Nav system | Volkswagen UK

I think there was maybe a cost if you had the dealer do it. I used to update mine every 12 months or so. The best one was my wife's merc, when we did one update the whole thing was upgraded with a better os.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
VW have been offering free satnav updates for years How to use and update your Sat Nav system | Volkswagen UK

I think there was maybe a cost if you had the dealer do it. I used to update mine every 12 months or so. The best one was my wife's merc, when we did one update the whole thing was upgraded with a better os.
Free map updates have been available to download and self install for years now, however there have been some system software updates that can only be done by the dealer.

Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Indeed, it's not that map updates cost anything, but I don't think they would automatically do them during a service. I asked for a map update about 18 months ago and they said they could do it but they already had three booked in and because it takes about 5 hours to do (??) I would probably have to bring the car back another day. It seems clear that this was just to put me off because I did it myself in the end and it took about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Indeed, it's not that map updates cost anything, but I don't think they would automatically do them during a service. I asked for a map update about 18 months ago and they said they could do it but they already had three booked in and because it takes about 5 hours to do (??) I would probably have to bring the car back another day. It seems clear that this was just to put me off because I did it myself in the end and it took about 20 minutes.
I can't see it taking 5 hours but is suspect they do the update via 5150 (or whatever its called these days) and they are a bugger. I saw updates take forever to do and techs were always fighting over them because they're expensive to buy.

·
Registered
514 Posts
With all marques, some owners make a big thing out having their car dealer serviced "so they get all the latest updates".

The reality is dealers don't even connect the diagnostic kit unless there's a specific reason to do so. We just had an issue with our Ateca as it miserably failed its All In eligibility check. Yet apparently none of the multiple faults showed up when the dealer did a major service a couple of weeks before, part of which is to check the vehicle's fault memory.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had one issue with my current Tig. I wasn't aware of it but during a service (car was about 2 years old) the dealer picked up an electrical fault in the battery. The car was booked back in for a 20 minute job and they replaced the battery while I waited.

·
Registered
136 Posts
With all marques, some owners make a big thing out having their car dealer serviced "so they get all the latest updates".

The reality is dealers don't even connect the diagnostic kit unless there's a specific reason to do so. We just had an issue with our Ateca as it miserably failed its All In eligibility check. Yet apparently none of the multiple faults showed up when the dealer did a major service a couple of weeks before, part of which is to check the vehicle's fault memory.
I think a fairer comment would be some technicians in some dealers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Our Tig display briefly flashed up a headlight error dash light briefly a few weeks back, I think it may have been because I was parked up facing very close to a hedge when the smart headlights did their little dance on start up. The light reset itself and everything then worked fine but meantime it had also sent a notification to my dealer who phoned me up to check if everything was alright.

Our dealers have been excellent since we bought the ex manager car from them a couple of years ago, sorting out software updates and a few other minor problems (e.g. AdBlue sensor, grab handle) under warranty as well as plan covered services.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts