Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Waiting for my new Tiguan

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  nheather 
#1 ·
I have been following this forum since I signed up for a Tiguan Active on 19th July 2021. This is my first ever VW purchase. I was told that I might expect delivery in November 2021 but I didn’t expect to see the new car until 2022. My salesman never got in touch except to reply to my two requests for updates. A new build date of 2022 week 4, became week 2. Last week I received an email from my salesman. My car was built and in transit from the factory.
Depending on how long delivery takes will decide whether I have a 71 plate or a 22 plate. My salesman then informed me that I will have 7 days to collect the car from the dealership to hold to the terms of the PCP and the price protection. I wonder how accurate this might be.
I am well aware that the price protection benefits me as did the increase in value of my previous car which I sold in November. However, there was no apology for my 6-7 month wait or any understanding that a 22 plate might be more appealing to me. All I have to do now is wait for a few more weeks.

#2 ·
My dealer allowed me to wait (about 3 weeks) to collect on a 71 plate rather than the 21 with no hesitation. Never mentioned any clause in the PCP agreement and was happy to oblige...
Mini allowed us to wait around 6 weeks to do the same a couple of years ago.. I suspect it's more about them meeting quotas/targets than keeping their customers happy!

#3 ·
Thanks very much for your reply. It helps me to know what other forum members have experienced in this situation. I’ll speak to my salesman once the delivery date becomes clearer. You might guess that I’m not impressed by my salesman’s comment.

#4 ·
There was something released by VW last Nov/Dec. It sounded like they were thinking of ways to step away from honouring sales prices and finance agreements and there was mention of doing something after July 2022 but not clear that meant for orders after then or deliveries after then.

They also suggested that for now, they would honour the deals if the car was collected with a certain time, it might have been 7 days or 14 days I can’t quite remember.

Let’s face it VW are facing the situation we’re cars are being delivered 9 months, 12 months or more after orders were placed. The prices agreed are at least £2k less than when delivered, finance interest rates were lower and manufacturer contributions higher - VW would really like to renege on those if they possibly could.

In fact what VW would probably like is for customers to cancel the long standing orders so that they can sell the slot onto new customers for more money and a less generous finance deal.

Cheers,

Nigel

#5 ·
It really depends on how long it takes for my new car to be delivered to the dealership. If the car is delivered in early February then I’m quite happy to take delivery of a 71 plate. If I collect the car after 1st March then no problem. I just need to be patient and await a delivery date.

#12 ·
I am exactly the same situation as you. I ordered a tig active at the end of June last year. The build fluctuated so much. Mine was also built and left the factory at the end of week 2. Again, after such a long wait I’d prefer a 22 plate than a 71. Especially for the sake of a couple of weeks. I’ve also been informed that I have 7 days once it arrives to finalise the paperwork and collect the car for them to honour the initial PCP deal. Just hoping it all fits in just nice now.

#6 ·
I have been following this forum since I signed up for a Tiguan Active on 19th July 2021. This is my first ever VW purchase. I was told that I might expect delivery in November 2021 but I didn’t expect to see the new car until 2022. My salesman never got in touch except to reply to my two requests for updates. A new build date of 2022 week 4, became week 2. Last week I received an email from my salesman. My car was built and in transit from the factory.
Depending on how long delivery takes will decide whether I have a 71 plate or a 22 plate. My salesman then informed me that I will have 7 days to collect the car from the dealership to hold to the terms of the PCP and the price protection. I wonder how accurate this might be.
I am well aware that the price protection benefits me as did the increase in value of my previous car which I sold in November. However, there was no apology for my 6-7 month wait or any understanding that a 22 plate might be more appealing to me. All I have to do now is wait for a few more weeks.
Check the agreement you signed with the dealer or simply phone VW finance. The dealer will certainly not want to keep the car on site for any period of time but I doubt you will find any kind of small print that says you have to collect in 7 days. I've heard people hear saying the price is fixed once the deposit is taken, I was never asked for one. My 'order' was accepted once the finance was agreed.

#11 ·
Not sure how much difference it would make to VW as I’d assume the cost they charge the dealer is fixed irrespective of who they sell it to. However the dealer and VWFS would definitely benefit as the very few stock cars available are selling at list, and quickly. The deposit contribution is from VWFS, which is technically a separate company, plus they’d benefit from the increased APR as well as the reduced contribution.
with my order, the dealer would probably get over £6k extra for the car. That would definitely outweigh any future revenue from from servicing etc. Although I do think they are being shortsighted on future sales, they won’t get one from me.

#20 ·
After waiting this long, yes I do care. I’m prepared to wait a week or 2 longer to ensure that I have a 22 registration. It’s about personal preference. If it was months away from a registration change then I’d accept that. But if it’s a matter of weeks then why have the car looking older than it actually is?

#16 ·
I’ve had minimal contact with my salesman over the past six months. I always knew I would have to wait for the car to be ready and I was quite relaxed about that. I don’t see any clause in my PCP agreement about collecting the car within 7 days of delivery to the dealer. The PCP finance allowance is a nice incentive to keep but I would have thought that the date the customer starts paying for the car mattered more. It‘s a separate issue but I will be paying up the PCP contract the week after I collect the car.
In the meantime it’s still a waiting game. How long will it take for my car to get to the dealer?

#17 ·
Well, mine arrived in 10 days from being shipped. My dealer was happy to wait a few weeks to register it as a 71 for me.

#19 ·
It sounds very much like the dealer is just trying to clear their car park of cars waiting for owner pickup. Do they have a small carpark with not much room? It could be they‘re just using that as an excuse for prompt pickups.

Steve

#22 ·
At the moment second hand prices are abnormal, but in normal times the plate does affect the value.

I guess less so for the half year - a 22 compared with a 72, but more significant for a year change a 71 compared with a 22.

Psychologically, a Feb car is seen as a year older than a Mar car making it considerably less desirable and therefore, lower value.

I‘m interested to hear when @stuartie car was actually delivered and what happened.

Cheers,

Nigel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.