Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just a word of warning. After some m00r0n elected to overtake by pushing me out of the way recently I've been in the tender arms of the insurers :(

To be fair everything was going great; repair garage selected by the insurer ("they will use genuine VW parts so you will be OK") until a friend warned me of a potential problem.

He had bought a VAG car that had a few years prior been involved in a minor shunt, all repaired using genuine VAG parts and fully receipted. He had a minor issue so took it in under a warranty claim - to find that the car's warranty had been void since the repair, along with all of the subsystems, lights etc, that they had removed/replaced; even though genuine parts had been used; the labour was not "suitably qualified".

I phone VW and their reply was even more worrying, basically, if the repairers are not approved and/or the parts not VAG then your paint and corrosion warranties go out the window. What is worst was the statement that if the repairer had "interfered" with the car e.g. disconnected a part then the whole warranty would/could be void.

My insurer's selected repairers (a very large local operation with a new Tig under repair) I found were not VW approved; I wonder what the owner of a Silver MK2 repaired recently is going to do when they find out.

Wen I asked my insurers for an approved repairers all I got was "use the selected company - they use genuine VW parts" over and over again until I asked them to provide me with a car that still had a warranty package after the repair to match the situation prior to the accident.

I've now been to an approved repairers, looked at their certificates and those of the techs undertaking the job, all looks in order and they do appear on the VW web page; the insurers, however, look to be worried about any extra costs so the story is not yet at an end.

So the moral of the story - don't believe your insurers, their cheap repair could cost you a lot in resale; look at the certificates and check the VW web page.

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
112 Posts
If your vehicle was involved in an accident
Then and part and associated part repaired or replaced would have no factory VW warranty.

Any issues arising later from the repair would only be covered by the repairs warranty VW approved or not.

It's the same for all manufacturers, as the vehicle is now no longer as it left the factory.

As for the insurers approved repairer these are normally companies they have negotiated special rates with, you can demand it be repaired at a garage you choose.

To try and persuade you to use their own approved repairers they might not give you a loan car etc

·
Registered
328 Posts
As neelytom says; the approved repairers are just the favoured ones for the insurance company with a negotiated deal. You are fully within your rights to demand that repairs are done by a garage of your choosing. However, the insurers will staunchly try to convince you to use their guys. If your policy states that you will get a loan car whilst yours is repaired this will probably only be if you use the approved repairers (they probably have to provide this anyway).

·
Registered
285 Posts
My work college was shunted in the rear whilst stopped on a roundabout :twisted: . He rang a local injury lawyer result
Thanks for calling, have you rang your insurer
No
Great do you want use to represent you YES PLEASE :lol: ( they have 24/7 phone line ( free phone)
The lawyer sent a Taxi to the accident . My mate was taken home his crashed car sorted by his now legal team :p
Next day he was taken to Physiotherapy. ( neck ache next day)
The car was repaired at his choice of garage ( main dealer) everything was sorted not a penny out of pocket. Plus a very Nice Cheque and no expense to him,no form filling ect
Main thing his car repaired by main dealers . It's you policy your choice . Don't let your Insurance company bully you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Said before make sure replacement screen is VW or could affect associated warranty.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wont VW's ensurance cover you to ensure its fixed at an authorised VW repairers.

https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/ensurance

It looks like its free?

Free accident and repair cover for three years.

Ensurance works alongside your existing comprehensive motor insurance policy, no matter who you are insured with, to help get your Volkswagen back on the road if it has been damaged in an accident or stolen. Ensurance is designed for anyone driving a Volkswagen, regardless of the age of your vehicle.

If the unexpected was to happen, a dedicated Claims Manager will look after your claim from start to finish. They will liaise with your motor insurer, any third parties, and the Volkswagen Approved Repairer throughout the claims process on your behalf.

Benefits of Ensurance
•Guaranteed use of a Volkswagen Approved Repairer and Volkswagen Trained Technicians
•Repair using only Volkswagen Genuine Parts
•Receive a Repair Guarantee, which includes a two year warranty for genuine parts
•Legal Expenses Cover to help recover any uninsured losses
Q.Why should I call Ensurance first and not my existing motor insurer?

A.
The majority of insurers want to repair your vehicle as cheaply as possible using their preferred repairer network; however they cannot guarantee that your vehicle will be repaired to Volkswagen standards.

It is your legal right to choose where your vehicle is repaired, and by calling us first a dedicated Claims Manager will liaise with your insurer on your behalf to ensure that your vehicle is repaired at a Volkswagen Approved Repairer, by Volkswagen Trained Technicians, using only genuine parts. If this costs more than your motor insurance provider is willing to pay, we'll pay the difference - with no cost to you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Its an option when ordering.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Beagler said:
Its an option when ordering.
It can also be taken out at any time now and on any age VW is says. Free for 3 years.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bhuna said:
Wont VW's ensurance cover you to ensure its fixed at an authorised VW repairers.

https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/ensurance</URL>" rel="nofollow">https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/ensurance

It looks like its free?

Free accident and repair cover for three years.

Ensurance works alongside your existing comprehensive motor insurance policy, no matter who you are insured with, to help get your Volkswagen back on the road if it has been damaged in an accident or stolen. Ensurance is designed for anyone driving a Volkswagen, regardless of the age of your vehicle.

If the unexpected was to happen, a dedicated Claims Manager will look after your claim from start to finish. They will liaise with your motor insurer, any third parties, and the Volkswagen Approved Repairer throughout the claims process on your behalf.

Benefits of Ensurance
•Guaranteed use of a Volkswagen Approved Repairer and Volkswagen Trained Technicians
•Repair using only Volkswagen Genuine Parts
•Receive a Repair Guarantee, which includes a two year warranty for genuine parts
•Legal Expenses Cover to help recover any uninsured losses
Q.Why should I call Ensurance first and not my existing motor insurer?

A.
The majority of insurers want to repair your vehicle as cheaply as possible using their preferred repairer network; however they cannot guarantee that your vehicle will be repaired to Volkswagen standards.

It is your legal right to choose where your vehicle is repaired, and by calling us first a dedicated Claims Manager will liaise with your insurer on your behalf to ensure that your vehicle is repaired at a Volkswagen Approved Repairer, by Volkswagen Trained Technicians, using only genuine parts. If this costs more than your motor insurance provider is willing to pay, we'll pay the difference - with no cost to you.
Yes they will. I registered with them some time ago. Mind you I haven't heard of anyone that used VW ensurance after an accident.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi just to clarify it does not matter weather VW approved repairer or you get help via VW Ensurance.

anything or part that is repaired or replaced due to an accident will no longer be covered by factory warranty. most repairers will over a guarantee between 2-5 years depending on their agreement with the insurer. The best thing you can do if you do have an accident is choose a repairer with a excellent reputation and repair guarantee.

For example if you were rear ended and you have a repair done the months later you have a rattle in that area. VW will not cover the repair under warranty, you would have to go back to the repairer, thats why its best to choose the best repairer at the time.

Also any body panel repaired, replaced or painted will no longer have a corrosion guarantee on that panel/area.

·
Registered
627 Posts
neelytom said:
Hi just to clarify it does not matter weather VW approved repairer or you get help via VW Ensurance.

anything or part that is repaired or replaced due to an accident will no longer be covered by factory warranty. most repairers will over a guarantee between 2-5 years depending on their agreement with the insurer. The best thing you can do if you do have an accident is choose a repairer with a excellent reputation and repair guarantee.

For example if you were rear ended and you have a repair done the months later you have a rattle in that area. VW will not cover the repair under warranty, you would have to go back to the repairer, thats why its best to choose the best repairer at the time.

Also any body panel repaired, replaced or painted will no longer have a corrosion guarantee on that panel/area.
you will get a 2 year post repair warranty with ensurance:

Receive a Repair Guarantee, which includes a two year warranty for genuine parts
Yes its not a factory warranty but its still a VW warranty and you probably have more grounds to get them to do something about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
More than likely.

But after the 2 years, your paint corrosion warranty is gone on the repaired part.

The key is really making sure the repair is done to the highest standard to avoid haveing problems years later.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm not sure on this fully, the Audi a1 at 6 months old I had was a cat d, purchased and repaired by myself in my home garage, several times it went in for warranty work and not once was any warranty work refused
Another case a Seat Leon cupra t I had went into the workshops on a insurance claim after a woman tee boned me? The workshop used a full tank of fuel or pinched it and all the rubber seals on the doors was put back into place with spray glue so after a few weeks most of seals were falling off or leaking and non of the replacement trims matched and the worse bit the electric windows went down with a Big Bang, I had a load of remedial work after wards
Moral of the story is I must do a better job than a certified garage ;) ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts