Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grand plan was that I would have got my new car and traded in my old one by now. The world-wide supply problems have scotched that and I am beginning to count up how much that is going to cost me.

So far I am down for a major service, an MOT and two new tyres that I wasn't expecting to have to shell out for - that comes to a round £750.

On top of that I am exposed to the risk of the luxury car tax - something I wasn't expecting. With the 1st Dec increase I'm still safe and could survive another similar increase by the skin of my teeth but any more and that is a potential £1,675 on top of that.

Fortunately, I have been able to lock in a guaranteed trade in value, otherwise I could also be at risk of the value of my car reducing over time (though it might also increase in these silly times).

On a plus note, since October I own my current car outright so the normal monthly payments between then and when my Tiguan is delivered can be put aside and used to increase the deposit - so I guess that is a silver lining.

Cheers,

nigel

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s cost me a fair amount. Was meant to be here by the end of my Audi PCP. My Audi is being collected today so I’ve had to buy a second car (we need two cars) that’s £4000 gone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll be in a similar position. My new Tiguan will most likely not appear it seems until next may (or even June) based on what I'm seeing here, and my current MK7.5 GTI needs a major service, an MOT, brake fluid and air con service as well as potentially as 2 new tyres before the end of April 2022. To be honest, part of me keeps thinking to ditch the order on the Tiguan, keep the GTI for another 2 years then buy into EV (hopefully the chip crisis will have abated by then).

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
257 Posts
...........On top of that I am exposed to the risk of the luxury car tax - something I wasn't expecting. With the 1st Dec increase I'm still safe and could survive another similar increase by the skin of my teeth but any more and that is a potential £1,675 on top of that.........
As regards the "luxury car tax" which is currently an additional £335, thus over five years is indeed £1,675, but presumably that will increase during those five years so the actual total (on top of the VED rate which also increases yearly) will be quite a bit more than that. Just thought I'd cheer you up should VW hike their prices yet again in the new year.......

·
Registered
348 Posts
Given all the problems identified on this and other threads, I've decided to keep my current Tig another two years. I was planning to change it around next Easter when its three years old but even if I ordered a car now, it wouldn't be here until much later next year. My current car is low mileage with a good spec (to me anyway). Get the All In policy and should be set for a couple more years. Hopefully by then, the chip issue will be resolved and who knows, maybe the mk3 might be around or perhaps an EV will be more viable to me then.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@ryanc88 why didn’t you just extend the PCP? My Tiguan was supposed to arrive in July 21 (still not built!) and my Audi PCP ended at the beginning of November. Took 2 minutes with VWFS to extend for 6 months. They are doing this a lot at the moment. Same payments and final “value” down by around 90% of the monthly payments.
Cost to me so far is 2 new tyres, an MOT, another year of the tracker, and a definite jump in to the luxury VED band.
On the plus side, when I ordered the Audi was getting handed back. Latest WBAC quote is over £5k above the settlement figure
On balance it has worked to my advantage, so far. But won’t stop me trying to get an extended warranty or service from the stealer for the hassle!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've heard that VW are reviewing price protection on new orders. It may be that as long as you receive the vehicle before June 2022 the price will still be protected but of course the latest list price will still apply for the £40k tax surcharge.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be in a similar position. My new Tiguan will most likely not appear it seems until next may (or even June) based on what I'm seeing here, and my current MK7.5 GTI needs a major service, an MOT, brake fluid and air con service as well as potentially as 2 new tyres before the end of April 2022. To be honest, part of me keeps thinking to ditch the order on the Tiguan, keep the GTI for another 2 years then buy into EV (hopefully the chip crisis will have abated by then).

Decisions, decisions.
That’s my backup plan. I have a 4 year old BMW 320D. Only has 18,000 on the clock. Ready for something new but if the Tiguan order goes pear-shaped, like becomes a luxury car, or gets delayed beyond acceptable levels, or they start removing stuff, or they try to increase the price, I‘m quite prepared to cancel and keep the BMW for a few more years.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
12 Posts
@ryanc88 why didn’t you just extend the PCP? My Tiguan was supposed to arrive in July 21 (still not built!) and my Audi PCP ended at the beginning of November. Took 2 minutes with VWFS to extend for 6 months. They are doing this a lot at the moment. Same payments and final “value” down by around 90% of the monthly payments.
Cost to me so far is 2 new tyres, an MOT, another year of the tracker, and a definite jump in to the luxury VED band.
On the plus side, when I ordered the Audi was getting handed back. Latest WBAC quote is over £5k above the settlement figure
On balance it has worked to my advantage, so far. But won’t stop me trying to get an extended warranty or service from the stealer for the hassle!!
Interesting you say this. I rang VWFS to do this and they quoted me a whole new deal at £250 more a month than I was currently paying!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting you say this. I rang VWFS to do this and they quoted me a whole new deal at £250 more a month than I was currently paying!!
Sounds like they were putting you on the normal end of PCP offering, which treats it as a used car.
Wonder if they were helpful as I stated with “my new VAG order is delayed “? Had to give them the new order number, but that was it, increased to 55 months, same monthly and final payment dropped by just over £2k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts