Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from a diesel Yeti but the (projected) plan at the moment is for 1.4 (150) petrol. Ideally I'd like four wheel drive but for the mileage I do diesel is a waste of time.
SO
if I can persuade my better half that the Tiguan is a good replacement for the Yeti............despite being ten inches longer what would you suggest as reasonable extras for Scottish conditions especially in the Winter!

For myself I thought on:
1) Heated screen
2) Heated seats
3) Voice activation
4) Heated steering wheel...........never had one of those :D

I had thought on the tow bar mounted bicycle carrier but I can't see if the price is "all in" or requires a towbar as well. Might just have to chuck the mountain bike in the back. :eek:

All suggestions and thoughts welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Hi,
I'd suggest that you think about wheels and tyres for the harsher winters in the highlands.

If you are thinking of a 1.4 then it's a s, se or se nav model. I believe they all come with the diamond cut alloys, which are extremely susceptible to corrosion, that's because it's only a thin lacquer finish over the polished alloy. So I would suggest going for the optional Kingston alloy, which is fully painted and much more resilient to corrosion. I think they are a cheap option at £150, and I think they actually look far nicer.

Going down this route means that if you buy winter tyres you could have them swapped onto these rims without the fear of any light chipping causing a route for corrosion to get into the raw diamond cut alloy face of the standard rim.

Also you might be lucky and get a cross climate tyre as standard. I might have just been lucky, but I did spec the Kingston alloy and when it arrived it was shod with Pirelli, self sealing, cross climate tyres, which I have to say have been brilliant.

Cheers
Axel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Hi tummel ! Went to Queen's View between Loch Rannoch and Loch Tummel 20 years ago and have very pleasant memories. Am I getting warm?

Firstly its a bit horses for courses, however living north of the Border the 'thermal options pack' you have suggested is essential.

I haven't selected the heated screen because I would never use the amount of de-icer or time for that matter de-icing which I think you might. I plan to garage mine so won't be exposed to the extremes.

That's where there is another advantage of a Tig. Don't look at it as it's 10 inches longer but how much smaller it is than others with such a comfortable amount of space in the cabin and the tremendous boot space.

I'm going to get roof bars, more flexible than rear bike racks but if you have a caravan, boat or trailer then towbar it is.

I have driven DSG's for 15 years and they cope well with whatever you trow at them.

There are other options but I could go on ad infinitum but I'm really looking forward to mine soon.

The next stage is take your good lady shopping and just drop into your nearest VW dealer on the way back home and get her to sit in it, work her up to the test drive, even though you might have to take the high road for now!!

Regards
DPStratMan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Hi tummel

Be warned, if you go for the heated screen you have to pay for the wireless phone charger as well, another £300 odd quid. We have it but not needed it yet as only had the car 2 days (have used the charger though!). We've gone for heated seats front and back, primarily because we've gone for leather and it does get cold - wouldn't have bothered with cloth seats but we're probably a bit warmer in Kent!

I believe the rear mounted bike rack requires the tow hitch as a separate cost - might be cheaper to look at roof bars and bike carrier? The latest accessories brochure on-line has the prices for these.

We've also come from a Yeti, not struggling with the extra size but if I was ordering again I would at least consider the reversing camera if not the area view, mirrors seem smaller and less effective somehow - we had to draw the line costwise somewhere and comfort won as far as the wife was concerned.

Personally wouldn't bother with voice activation, we had it on the Yeti and I used it once in 5 years to see if it worked but that's just me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
tummel said:
I come from a diesel Yeti but the (projected) plan at the moment is for 1.4 (150) petrol. Ideally I'd like four wheel drive but for the mileage I do diesel is a waste of time.
SO
if I can persuade my better half that the Tiguan is a good replacement for the Yeti............despite being ten inches longer what would you suggest as reasonable extras for Scottish conditions especially in the Winter!

For myself I thought on:
1) Heated screen
2) Heated seats
3) Voice activation
4) Heated steering wheel...........never had one of those :D

I had thought on the tow bar mounted bicycle carrier but I can't see if the price is "all in" or requires a towbar as well. Might just have to chuck the mountain bike in the back. :eek:

All suggestions and thoughts welcome.
My thoughts are

1. I wanted the heated screen, but was not willing to pay for the wireless charger as they come in combination with each other.

2. Agree with heated seats.

3. Never had VW voice activation but Ford's is not very good, take longer to do it through voice activation than by hand.

4. I have not ordered it on my Tiguan but have it on my current car, it is nice on the cold winter morning (regretting I did not add it to my order for the price)

I would also suggest the area view, not cheap but looks really handy and keyless entry, very handy when your hands are full.

There are loads of other good options but at the end of the day it comes down to your budget. It could work out better going for a higher spec model with more standard equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
tummel said:
I come from a diesel Yeti but the (projected) plan at the moment is for 1.4 (150) petrol. Ideally I'd like four wheel drive but for the mileage I do diesel is a waste of time.
SO
if I can persuade my better half that the Tiguan is a good replacement for the Yeti............despite being ten inches longer what would you suggest as reasonable extras for Scottish conditions especially in the Winter!

For myself I thought on:
1) Heated screen
2) Heated seats
3) Voice activation
4) Heated steering wheel...........never had one of those :D

I had thought on the tow bar mounted bicycle carrier but I can't see if the price is "all in" or requires a towbar as well. Might just have to chuck the mountain bike in the back. :eek:

All suggestions and thoughts welcome.
Heated screen yes for the highlands
Heated seats front yes
Voice activation a waste of time all I get is "pardon" I'm a Brumie so a Scottish accent??? Save your money for bike rack
Heated steering wheel ??
Led lighting a must
I don't think you'll use ACC on highland roads
Sunroof :? unless you want to put your skies though the hole
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Always change the tyres in the winter so another trip to Mytyres methinks but good call on the wheels.
Had a heated screen before and it's a real boon at 5.00 a.m. on a frosty morning. It's also great to come off the hill and just babble into the machine but I hear what you say.
Heated steering wheel. Yep it's just a toy that I fancy.......sad fact but we all need our toys!
LED lighting.....expensive but a thought.
So it seems that some sort of camera view or park assistance is a good idea in addition to the sensors. I'll have to view the options again.
I've got a roof fitting bike rack but age means it's getting harder to lift the bike up there. I'll research further on that.
Sunroof. No don't think so. No skis you see.
Finally.....Tummel. Yes a lovely part of the country. Guess we're lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
tummel said:
Thanks guys. Always change the tyres in the winter so another trip to Mytyres methinks but good call on the wheels.
Had a heated screen before and it's a real boon at 5.00 a.m. on a frosty morning. It's also great to come off the hill and just babble into the machine but I hear what you say.
Heated steering wheel. Yep it's just a toy that I fancy.......sad fact but we all need our toys!
LED lighting.....expensive but a thought.
So it seems that some sort of camera view or park assistance is a good idea in addition to the sensors. I'll have to view the options again.
I've got a roof fitting bike rack but age means it's getting harder to lift the bike up there. I'll research further on that.
Sunroof. No don't think so. No skis you see.
Finally.....Tummel. Yes a lovely part of the country. Guess we're lucky.
When I went in to order my car the garage did a search and found a exact match to what I wanted in Perth up your way, what I'm saying is you may find they have new tiggys in stock that match your needs without the long build wait that a lot are talking about!
Unfortunately the garage and myself could not agree how to get it down to the vale of evesham and that's how I got the deal and ended with the tiggy R that I've now got
By the way I was talking about led headlights
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
100% agree with Miket. Given the roads up here, I elected to go with Tyre Pressure Monitoring too.

On variable roads, ACC not as handy as you might think as it brakes rather than easing off, so I'm switching more often over to normal cruise control. DCC isn't as effective as I'd thought it would be either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Does a DSG change gears if need in ACC. In my current Golf I have only used distance ACC and not cruise control. I have only just realised that I probably could use cruise control without the distance control. Feel a bit stupid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
JJ1 said:
Does a DSG change gears if need in ACC. In my current Golf I have only used distance ACC and not cruise control. I have only just realised that I probably could use cruise control without the distance control. Feel a bit stupid.
Yes it does change gears, what it doesn't do is slow down for corners and when your following another car into a sharp bend in the road it will lose the car in front when it disappeares round the bend and excelerate you into the bend,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Electric swivel towbar is excellent. Press switch in boot and out it pops from behind bumper, slight push to click and lock it in place. Electrics (full 13 pin) are integrated into the towbar so very neat. When your finished using the towbar a press of the same switch in the boot and the towbar swivels up ready for slight push by hand before it snaps back up behind the bumper. Really pleased with it, better than my previous Q5 which required manual removal of a bumper panel before each use.

I use the towbar for a bike carrier, much more comfortable than mounting bikes on the roof rails which are relatively higher on an SUV compared to a saloon (my roof rail bike carrier sits in the corner of the garage obsolete after a month or so struggling with the height on the Q5).

I've also bought a medium sized Ifor Williams P6 trailer and avoid carrying jumbo bags of garden waste in the boot as I did in the Q5 - no need to hoover out the boot afterwards, and no insects & creepy crawlers setting up home :) . The trailer also allows me to carry my three section aluminium ladders rather than load them onto roof bars as I did on the Q5 - long ladders on relatively close spaced roof bars always looked scary :roll: . (The decision to buy the trailer was included in the cost comparison of buying the Tig rather than another Q5)

The towbar is a fantastic option in my view.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd agree that driver aids such as ACC & DCC aren't probably of much use up here. Driving up/down the A9 I'm more in need of a loud stereo & cold air con to keep me awake. Averaging cameras for about 115 miles excluding short sections of dual aren't much fun.
Next time I'm passing Camerons of Perth I can pop in but their site doesn't show what I'm after.
LED headlights. Pretty expensive but not had a car with such lights.
Noted on the tow bar. Again seems expensive for a few trips with the bike as there's another vehicle available with a rear mounted rack......too many decisions! :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
I've never had a car before this 'Tig' with LED dynamic lights.....Wow wouldn't do without it now, and they also automatically dip or move to the side either approaching a vehicle or coming up behind one. Another + from me on the tow bar, and a 'big' + for me reverse camera & electric boot lid. :idea: :idea: My bet tummel the lights would make a big difference up there in the wilds at night ;) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I've got the 1.4 (150) SE petrol and am really pleased with it.
I upgraded the alloys to KINGSTON for £150. Worth every penny. The standard PATAGONIA ones are horrible.
Heated steering wheel is a waste of money but seats deffo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Heated seats is a yes if they are leather, otherwise don't really need it.

Electric tailgate is useful IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Flavio said:
I've got the 1.4 (150) SE petrol and am really pleased with it.
I upgraded the alloys to KINGSTON for £150. Worth every penny. The standard PATAGONIA ones are horrible.
Heated steering wheel is a waste of money but seats deffo!
Depends where you live. I have never got a car with one but i wished i had so many times. If you wake up at 6 in the morning in -15 celsius, and especially if you have to de-ice your windows, heated wheel is a blessing.

I think it is included in my order, but I will have the diesel heater with remote control so that is gonna be a bit redundant, but it comes as package for me so why not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
tummel said:
I'd agree that driver aids such as ACC & DCC aren't probably of much use up here. Driving up/down the A9 I'm more in need of a loud stereo & cold air con to keep me awake. Averaging cameras for about 115 miles excluding short sections of dual aren't much fun.
Next time I'm passing Camerons of Perth I can pop in but their site doesn't show what I'm after.
LED headlights. Pretty expensive but not had a car with such lights.
Noted on the tow bar. Again seems expensive for a few trips with the bike as there's another vehicle available with a rear mounted rack......too many decisions! :?
Don't talk to me about the A9, in 2000 I took 6 petrol pumps out at the inveralmold services with the rear of my 9 meter glider trailer only latter to be arrested by the police half way up the A9 to avimore, full blown road block all for me :twisted:
Shock as I didn't know I'd done it! Wife loves Scotland but won't let me take the glider there again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Dynamic led lights, better looking DRL's and nicer front grill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't talk to me about the A9, in 2000 I took 6 petrol pumps out at the inveralmold services with the rear of my 9 meter glider trailer only latter to be arrested by the police half way up the A9 to avimore, full blown road block all for me :twisted:
Shock as I didn't know I'd done it! Wife loves Scotland but won't let me take the glider there again
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love that story although one would imagine that you weren't a very happy bunny at the time.

Try Kinross next time it's probably easier to get to than Feshiebridge.......assuming that's where you were going. :roll:

You would find that the A9 hasn't changed much apart from the roadworks and the averaging cameras. Anything dual isn't averaged though apart from the Dunblane to Perth stretch. :(
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top