Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. With the delay on the ehybrids becoming longer each day, and our 4 year old quickly outgrowing the rear seats of a 6 series, I need some sort of stop gap while waiting. I ordered my (well spec'd) r- line back in November last year yet have no idea when it will be built. The last online update I saw was potentially 2023, making it over 14 months atleast from order date. How would you approach this situation? Would you buy a used car to use as a stop gap and take the depreciation on the chin, or are there other solutions?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, at the moment nearly new used cars are more expensive than brand new so will be liable to greater depreciation if or when the semiconductor chip situation improves. So it's like being between a rock and a hard place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my worry. The only solution to that is to buy a £1,000 shed (Zafira or similar) until the Tiguan is here. Could I face driving a 15 year old Zafira daily though? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the same problem in February when I realised my mid August ordered R-Line would not be appearing on March/April. I then bought a five year old Mercedes 2-seat SLC convertible with the intention of keeping it until June/early July (the old 'top goes down, price goes up' philosophy) and hopefully minimising depreciation. Now it seems I might be without a car again for a couple of months as the R-Line might take 13 months or so to appear (I don't want to be trying to sell a convertible in September) so will have the same problem once more.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Some commentators are saying the price of used cars is easing and that prices are starting to fall. Not sure about that but it may be true (others on here may know if they have links to the trade). So, it may be worth looking at a stop gap car but the depreciation hit may be hard if prices are falling. Perhaps worth looking around though.

An alternative is to see if your dealer has access to any order cancellations which may provide an earlier car (but probably not the same spec nor with same discounts) or perhaps place an order for the Allspace model which seem to be coming within six months - see message from mrew42 below.

At the risk of repeating myself from other threads....
I started enquiring about an Allspace in Feb this year knowing about the delays in delivery, to coincide with the end of my current lease (March 2023)
Drive the deal confirmed a 52+ week expected timescale so I placed an order 11/02/22 - Allspace R-Line 245 TSi, in white, easy open, IQ lights and rear camera.
I upped my deposit based on what I would expect to have into early next year and got a shade under 18% discount on list, taking PCP.
21/04 I got an email direct from VW saying I had an allocated build week, but not what it was. Checked out with the dealer "build week 17, which is 25th April to 1st May"
26/04 (one day after the 'build week' started) I got an email, again from VW direct, saying:
Great news, your new Volkswagen Tiguan has completed its final checks and has now left our factory. It won't be long now until it's at your retailer.
All of which sounds great on the face of it except that my planning is now kaput.
I can't get out of the lease without penalty (50% of the remaining finance payments - currently 9 months to go)
But if I cancel and order again, the price has gone up, the finance contribution is less, I can't get the IQ lights and the other extras have gone up too
Rock and a hard place!!

I've asked the dealer to see if VW can hold delivery to the dealer until September, by which time the lease 'get out' fee will be more negotiable (say VWFS) as there'll only be 6 months less.
I'll wait to see if this request is do-able, as if it turns up early i've got a lot of thinking to do.
However, I'm not sure if the Allspace comes in a hybrid varient. If not, there are a number of other cars you could consider like new Mazda MC-60, new Lexus NX, Volvo XC40 amongst others. These may have shorter delivery times.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
755 Posts
You could of course place an order for a Tiguan Life 1.5TSI 130PS in manual. You never know you might get it in two or three months. My theory is that manuals in the Life model, even if heavily specced, are coming through much quicker - I'll let you know next month!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Reports are conflicting - some say second hand prices falling - others say more delays coming and prices might even get worse. I've considered selling my 4yr old tig now whilst it's at the top price and buying a stop gap but it certainly won't be a high priced model. If I do it, it will be a lower end something or other. Problem is, I keep thinking it might be for 4 or 5 months and then, next thing I know, I'd give my right arm for 6 or 7 months.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Reports are conflicting - some say second hand prices falling - others say more delays coming and prices might even get worse. I've considered selling my 4yr old tig now whilst it's at the top price and buying a stop gap but it certainly won't be a high priced model. If I do it, it will be a lower end something or other. Problem is, I keep thinking it might be for 4 or 5 months and then, next thing I know, I'd give my right arm for 6 or 7 months.
No 'arm in trying............ :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could of course place an order for a Tiguan Life 1.5TSI 130PS in manual. You never know you might get it in two or three months. My theory is that manuals in the Life model, even if heavily specced, are coming through much quicker - I'll let you know next month!
Why did you go for the life and spec these options? The Active would have been £400 cheaper with the same options, as many come as standard?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Why did you go for the life and spec these options? The Active would have been £400 cheaper with the same options, as many come as standard?
I did. Last August I ordered an Active 1.5TSI Manual, waited seven months only to find they ordered the wrong car. Neither AutoeBid or the Supplier, Versus Vehicle Management company (it turned out they weren't even a Dealer) didn't want to know, didn't offer any compromise, didn't even tell me the truth, leaving me completely gob-smacked without the car I wanted or even given the chance to accept the vehicle that had been delivered to the Supplier. It was a DSG model which I would have accepted if only they had told me. (I can guess it was a more expensive vehicle being automatic and they could sell it to someone else at a higher price).

So, I was left with nothing. I thought about ordering an eHybrid, only for orders to be suspended and then the LIfe eHybrid itself was withdrawn. With an imminent hefty price rise scheduled for April this year I then placed an order through DriveTheDeal at the end of March and specced it to something similar to an Active bearing in mind the Active itself had also been withdrawn - maybe some left as stock in Dealers but only at ridiculous prices.

I expected delivery would now be next year but somewhat surprised to be notified of a build date for June - this year! We shall see, but at least I got it ordered before that price rise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts