Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got what's shown in the photos in their cars? It's a small block of sponge, in a bag, secreted away either side of the engine bay. Its part number comes up as an 'Absorber' but can't see what its use would be!

It's not fastened in or anything but just fills the void (and the equivalent on the other side) as shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks like an acoustic component used for noise insulation, its left in the bag presumably to prevent it deteriorating from heat and water ingress.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not got em in mine.

G

·
I really can't see that VW would leave a piece of foam in the engine bay in a plastic bag that is just cheap and tacky. Could it be some kind of packing that should have been taken out on the PDI?

G

·
Well well I too have these foam pieces in the same place on my Tig. They weren't so obvious as they were pushed right back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have them as well, I guess its part of the road noise suppression, as its so close to the suspension. Its normal acoustic foam in a bag, although quite cheap looking.

·
Registered
463 Posts
GTD184 said:
Looks like an acoustic component used for noise insulation, its left in the bag presumably to prevent it deteriorating from heat and water ingress.
Apologies, Mine does have these they were pushed right back

·
Registered
158 Posts
Must check my TDi 150 S for the presence of this. There seems to be road/tyre noise coming up from the front. Maybe the absorber is there there to stop/reduce this!

·
Registered
34 Posts
2KMNAUGIT said:
Anyone else got what's shown in the photos in their cars? It's a small block of sponge, in a bag, secreted away either side of the engine bay. Its part number comes up as an 'Absorber' but can't see what its use would be!

It's not fastened in or anything but just fills the void (and the equivalent on the other side) as shown.
These are installed for sound damping, they are also sealed in the VW bags to reduce water ingress. Checked a VW German forum asking the same question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts