Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a choice between 18" and 19" wheels. From your experiences what are the pros and cons of each wheel?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bit of horses for courses, the bigger the wheel the lower the profile of the tyre, low profile tyres can give you better cornering but give you a harder ride and higher profile worse cornering but a softer ride, also lower profits ding a lot easier in potholes
I suggest you go for the wheels that you like, then regret for the life of the car, I have 20" and both ride and cornering seems good

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went for 18 inch ones due to the following reasons.

As Miket said, higher profile gives a softer ride. Negative part is cornering, but where I live the only curves I see are the roundabout and those you cant really race in. The second thing, the asphalt in Sweden gets eroded pretty quickly due to studs use in winter, so it is rather noisy. Higher profile tires means they pick up less noise as well (also due to the width as they tend to be narrower). Third reason (less of a problem honestly), tire prices are lower when they need changing but also upgrade to 19 inch would cost me the car price as well.

That being said, I drove a 19 inch test car and the ride was very good, some rough edge potholes i though were a bit more noticeable than in my 2008 Passat (but I cant say for sure as these subjective things can sometimes be trick), but overall the ride were much more comfortable than the Passat's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
which model are you looking at, and which wheel designs were you comparing?

As I understand it the ride gets firmer with bigger wheels because the tire wall needs to be more rigid as the tyre profile gets thinner/smaller. at 18 vs 19 neither tyre will need particularly rigid walls on a car this size, so I doubt you will notice much difference, if any at all. If you were debating 17 vs 20's then you would see a much bigger difference

I have the 19 inch Victoria wheels, and the car rides really well. Also, you will never compare the ride as you won't be swapping between the two. If you need the absolute softest ride the get the 17's from the S, and the adaptive suspension in soft mushy mode :)

Finally I have had friends say they love the wheels on my car. I think the Victoria's look great, strong looking and not too fussy, but with enough detail to look expensive. My advice would be to go for at least the 19's on a car this big. I have seen the 18s on a tiguan and they look a little small to my eyes, and the 17's must look like this

·
Registered
953 Posts
NoHopeNoFear said:
which model are you looking at, and which wheel designs were you comparing?

As I understand it the ride gets firmer with bigger wheels because the tire wall needs to be more rigid as the tyre profile gets thinner/smaller. at 18 vs 19 neither tyre will need particularly rigid walls on a car this size, so I doubt you will notice much difference, if any at all. If you were debating 17 vs 20's then you would see a much bigger difference

I have the 19 inch Victoria wheels, and the car rides really well. Also, you will never compare the ride as you won't be swapping between the two. If you need the absolute softest ride the get the 17's from the S, and the adaptive suspension in soft mushy mode :)

Finally I have had friends say they love the wheels on my car. I think the Victoria's look great, strong looking and not too fussy, but with enough detail to look expensive. My advice would be to go for at least the 19's on a car this big. I have seen the 18s on a tiguan and they look a little small to my eyes, and the 17's must look like this

Must be Sweden as eelir said look at the Tarmac

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lol. The tarmac is really bad honestly. I tend to avoid the dead center of the road. I think I am not going to like the lane assist as it will place me dead center where the road is the noisiest.

Here is what I chose for your reference (not my car but the exact color and rims):

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi

well, I went for the 20" and sports suspension - so it's going to be hard; not really on UK roads (which we dig up as we don't have snow) it's surprisingly smooth. Even the rough single track lanes are well handled, actually better than my old Merc.

To give you a look at the result

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1422

For some reason I think eelir's car is also a good choice

Earl

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
For me, it was an easy choice between 18s and 19s... i chose the 18s because of how they look and how they look on my white car :D

In my opinion, the 19s are not nice looking alloys and look rather cheap. I don't like the colour of them either and this is where the 18s stand out.

Why they dont do 20s in the same design is beyond me as that would look unreal!!!

20s look good size wise on a Tiggy but they are not the most exciting to look at. Think they got a lot of it wrong if you ask me!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Each to their own.......Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the look of my 19's SEL alloys with the darker tint to bright silver...and a lot easier to clean :lol: :lol: :lol: Me I would not choose 'White' colour....but must say, looks real cool :cool: on the R-Line with the 20'' wheels :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
The SEL 19s look much better than the 18" offerings - classic five spoke design and looks classy on the car. 19s also look just about right for the car, where 18s look a touch small on the new Tiguan (it has been designed with big wheels in mind, hence why 20s on the RLine don't look oversized).

Having said that, I've gone for optional Kingston 18s (they don't offer the 19s as an option on the SE).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I opted for the SEL standard 19" Victoria alloys rather than the 20" option, partly because I prefer the look of the Victoria alloys but also because I believe they offer more alloy kerbing protection than the 20" wheels with their lower profile tyres. I'm extremely careful to protect my alloy wheels (100K+ miles on my previous Audi 20" alloys & low profile tyres and no kerb damage is an indication of how careful I am) and the 19" tyre profile helps.

·
Registered
390 Posts
On the Kerbing aspect; my 20" have little/no protection and already I'm into £100 for a refurb for a chip about the size of my fingernail.

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, a bit of much needed edification to impart on tyres (or tires if your from the US):

Fact:

As unconventional as this sounds to the untrained ear, the lower the profile the WORSE the handling. Full stop. Period. End of story.

There are many engineering reasons for this...

Firstly low profile tyres do not allow any tractional 'give' on the road surface and thus have no choice but to 'let got and cause a skid/loss of traction. Higher profile tyres allow the sidewall to absorb lateral energy BEFORE loss of traction. The tread can 'open-up' on normal tyres. Low profile tyres are not normal in the slightest and are not used in any form of racing whatsoever. They are for aesthetic benefit only. Think of F1...massive sidewalls for incredible traction.

I have 19" forged 8.5J wheels on my Darkside Developments 2007 Tiguan 4 Motion Sport with 235/55/19's with 69db noise and B rated wet grip. I can go around corners like the car is literally stuck to the road. In addition, I have totally deadened cabin noise and superior ride height and fuel economy (important when running a 240HP 2.0tdi)

Hope that helps realign thinking on the topic.
Unfortunately I shall not be able to respond to any comments as have a job and a large family.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Or maybe you won't be able to respond because you are not correct.

Oh and the reason F1 voted against going to 18" rims was because of all the changes that they would need to make to the suspension as the tyres play a huge part in it. By your reckoning WEC cars would have small wheels and huge sidewalls.

There is a point at where you will have the optimum size and on a car like a Golf is 18"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have 235 55 18 for winter and 255 45 19 for summer. Ride is litter comfy on 18, but looks and cornering is much better on 19. If you take all season tires like michelin crossclimate go for 18

·
Registered
210 Posts
Large rims are noisy expensive and I don't think they look cool. Instead, they more look like boyracer rims. to me though.

My favourite was old bmw 5 series plain rims.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts