Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current car is an Audi Q5 with 20" wheels, two sets with summer and winter tyres. I am considering ordering a new Tiguan SEL 2.0TSIwith standard Victoria 19" wheels rather than the Miramar 20" option.

I have been researching VW winter wheels options for the new Tiguan but VW UK has little information on the web though I have found a VW Germany (??) catalogue with Auckland 19" winter wheels (5NA.073.229. 88Z) for the new Tiguan. Seems that it is not adopted by VW in the UK.

Most of the alloy wheel suppliers on-line do not reference the new Tiguan but make wheel suggestions based on the Mk1 vehicle - which has a different steering setup and therefore their suggestions are flawed or at least suspect.

I cannot find VW wheel size approvals on-line. Any information anyone?

My Q5 winter wheels are Audi 20" originals - 8.5Jx 20H2 ET33 - with 255/45r20 Dunlop winter tyres. The existing tyres are too big for the Tiguan but it appears that the rim will take 235/45r20 tyres (same as the 20" Miramar) . The wheel stud fitting appears to be Ok for the Tiguan but the wheel offset (33) may be a problem. Can anyone advise or point me in the direction of VW technical approvals for wheels?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Billc47

I think the issue is the insurers not VW UK. I wanted to fit winter wheels (steel Merc stnd spec) and found it invalidated my insurance - the alloys have to match the car invoice exactly or the car be insured as a modified car - so changing the rubber seems the way here.

I've got the Miramar's on mine and in sheet mud :) they work well, there is a post from Terrier1964 who has used these with the standard (Summer) tyres in snow. This is well worth the read, it will make you smile.

It did give me some pause for thought, so I've elected to use the summers this winter and see if I need to change to all season when replacement comes around.

FYI my driving is about 25% rural and 75% motorway so snow etc. only really bothers me for the rural sections

Cheers

Earl

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the info. I will phone my insurers on Monday to discuss. With the Q5 the change to winter wheels was not an insurance issue since they were Audi recommended & supplied for the Q5.

I raised the requirement for 19" winter wheels with VW UK but am still waiting for a useful response, they seem inclined to refer me to local VW retailers who seem to have little information.

The VW Germany offering of 19" Auckland alloys have 235/50/19 Continental WinterContact TS 850 P tyres which are rated highly in snow & ice. I spend a lot of time in the mountains throughout the winter and know that summer tyres don't cut it in adverse conditions.

Hopefully VW UK will come forward with a suitable solution.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More information, more confusion in my mind!

I see that the November 2016 VW Tiguan brochure and accompanying price and specifications publication downloaded from the VW UK web site have reduced the size of the SEL standard fit Victoria alloy from 8J to 7J and the SEL factory option Mirimar alloy from 8.5J to 8J (compared to the October 2016 equivalent documents). Tyre sizes remain 235/50R19 on the Victoria alloy and 235/45R20 on the Mirimar alloy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts