Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have Milenco Grand Aero mirrors and I have to remove them in order to fold in the car mirrors. This is a real pain. Do any caravanners use mirrors that you can leave on when the car mirrors retract? I would be most grateful for the details( e.g Make and model) if you have found any.
Many thanks. David.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi dave56
This issue has cropped up several times and to date no one has a solution and I doubt there will be once due to the angle of park of the door mirrors. One of the other issues was actually fitting towing mirrors but most people seem to be using Milenco.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the smaller milenco aero mirrors and the mirrors fold up fine but have to admit they are very close to the glass when folded up, you can literally just get a piece of paper between the gap !. I've only towed a few times at the moment but think to stop the risk of damage to the glass in future may just go in to the settings and stop the mirrors folding in when I'm towing, would that not be an option for you as new mirrors are not cheap ?.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there. Thanks for the most helpful replies. I see that there is no easy solution ! I have set the car mirrors so they do not fold in and I have a set of

the original Milenco mirrors somewhere in the garage and I will try those. I have now decided that I will remove the mirrors and leave the clamps

attached when I am going on the North Sea ferry in order to minimise any damage. Whilst in Holland I will look in their caravan accesory

stores as they may have had more experience of mk2 Tigs as we will be staying near the German border. Will report back if I have a solution.

I find the fitting ok as I bought a set of clamp inserts which are for VW mirrors and fit into the top mirror groove.

David.

·
Registered
207 Posts
David
On your travels look out for emuk 100164. Manufactured in Germany, make, model specific, I can highly recommend them. Not cheap, about £100, will not solve issue of folding, but best mirrors I have used.
Above model number introduced earlier this year.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
417 Posts
I haven't towed, as only just got the car, but have tried to fit my Milenco Aero mirrors, and find clamping to the bottom edge of the Tig mirrors, appear to fit best (daren't try folding them in though). Can other caravanners say which part of the Tig mirrors they clamp on to please?

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My Milenco grand mirrors fit ok...... I have tried both ways of using them... ie... top of the mirror & bottom for fastening , and found I got a better view (for me) fastening them to the top of the mirror housing

View attachment 1424

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there. Just returned from Holland. Tig pulled well and was very stable with 1300kg caravan. Looked around a large accessory store called Obelink in the east of Holland and looked at the large range of towing mirrors. Nothing new . They had a good selection of Milencos. Have e mailed Milenco and asked for help. Will let you know if they come up with anything. David.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there. E mailed Milenco and they suggested fixing the mirrors to the bottom of the car mirrors-doesn't work! Also extending the bar outwards -doesn't work either. At least they were trying to be helpful. I would still like to be able to retract the mirrors whilst travelliing as it is so useful in an emergency and on ferries! Back to the darwing board. Cheers David.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the milenco aero model fitted on the bottom of the mirrors and when folding them in they went about half-way then the tightening knob went against the car door.
The motor stopped immedietly when it touched the car so no worries about burning up the motor.
The mirrors folded enough to be "inside" the caravan and i don't need them to do more than that. (I was on a small ferry in sweden with 2.6m wide lanes)
On the big ferrys to germany i don't fold them in at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.