Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Who will be keeping their car long term

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Lawrie 
I retired in 2000 and spend almost half of the year at our second home in France (where we are now) so we need a comfortable, reliable car with good load carrying capacity. A golf estate, kept three years was followed by a Touran Sport, six and a half years, a Skoda Yeti Elegance, five and a half years and now the Tiguan SEL which we intend keeping for at least five years. Despite several trips to France, I only cover about 7,000 to 8,000 miles a year using the larger car for long journeys and my wife's 20-year-old Micra Auto (with only 36,000 miles on the clock) for shopping and local runs. If the Tiguan performs as well in five years as it does now, we'll keep it unless driver-less cars become affordable and easy to live with.
Driving through France on uncongested roads was a dream in the Tiguan. The adaptive cruise control, DSG box and overall comfort were superb. Even the satnav which I had thought clunky and non-intuitive became much easier with use so the Apple Maps app and CarPlay took a back seat. Consumption averaged 50 mpg, better than the smaller Yeti we replaced. My only gripes are that the 12V sockets don't work with either my car fridge or tyre pump which have standard 12v plugs (checked the fuse, No.40, 20 amp OK) and also changing units from miles to kilometers didn't change the speedometer display which remained in mph. I would have thought that a digital display would include a speedo in kph.
As others have said, however, I would strongly recommend the Tiguan as an all-round competent and well-specified package with great looks and road presence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.