Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Who will be keeping their car long term

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Lawrie 
I have mine on a 2 year lease. It will go back to VW October 2018.

I get bored with cars and want new ones quite often. I also don't do loads of miles.

Leasing (on the right deal) is perfect for me. The total cost for the two years is £5300 (incl road tax). List price is £28,300. If I bought the same car for say £26k after discount I'd have to sell it for almost £21k after two years to match the lease cost. The guaranteed future value after two years is £15.6k :eek:

I also think about the 'keep for 10 years' scenario mentioned above. Let's say you lease for 10 years on five separate 24 month deals. 5x £5,300 = £26,500, or about the price of the car to start with. Sure if you bought one car instead you would have a bit of value in it, but what is a 10 year old Tiguan going to be worth? £2.5 - £3.5k perhaps.

So for roughly the same cost over those 10 years (ok let's say £3k more due to the fact you have a 10 year old model to sell/trade) you have had the pleasure of FIVE brand new cars, together with their warranties, their new tech & new innovations, their piece of mind, oh and their road tax included.

If you've never leased it is seriously worth looking at. :)

Terrier1964 said:
Lawrie - what version of the Tig have you got ?

On my R line version a quick internet search shows a deposit of £1085 and monthly payments of £361 - over two years that is coming in at £9749....which is £4k more than your figures.

I suppose its all horses for courses. People's circumstances change. Some are old school and buy and keep - others have PCP's and others choose the leasing route.
It all depends on the deals available at the time. Certain models have big discounts and high residual values. This equals a cheap lease.

Mine is an SE Nav in white with 2WD and the 150bhp Diesel engine. That happened to be the model with the cheapest lease price this month. In this particular situation VW built a load of these spec cars for the fleet market and shipped them to the U.K. As stock for brokers to call on. This was likely to get more of the new model on the road.

The other car we lease (a mk7 Golf R) has a cheap lease price because the residual values are very strong. I've had one for about two years and I have a replacement arriving in Dec. Again it's all about timing and locking in a cheap deal when they crop up...

Winrya said:
Terrier1964 said:
Lawrie - what version of the Tig have you got ?

On my R line version a quick internet search shows a deposit of £1085 and monthly payments of £361 - over two years that is coming in at £9749....which is £4k more than your figures.

I suppose its all horses for courses. People's circumstances change. Some are old school and buy and keep - others have PCP's and others choose the leasing route.
There were some crazy deals around on the r lines a couple of months back. I've done a 2 year lease on an r line dsg 4motion 150 tdi. £2k down and £215.99 a month inc vat. A lot of car for £216 a month
Great deal and cements what I said above about timing. You won't always find a Tiguan is the best deal when you come to renew, but there is always going to be something similar around on offer at the time .... Audi Q5, X3 etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.