Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner

Who will be keeping their car long term

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Lawrie 
#1 ·
This will be our last car until we retire so we are looking at keeping it long term, eight years or so.
Any one else?

#2 ·
Yes. Took out the 5 year warranty, got as many options as I could and have sprayed suspension components underneath with Dinitrol wax so should hpoefully help rustproof.

#3 ·
Yes, I plan to retire in 3 yrs at 60, i'm hoping this will be a long term car to tour the UK coast roads once I retire.
The plan is to buy it with part of my retirement fund unless the figures don't stack up, or I may just buy one final big car.

#4 ·
Yes, I took early retirement some 4 1/2 years ago and not long after bought a new golf 1.4 GT. I thought that would be it for many a year, but found with old bones getting weaker and mild arthritis it was just getting too low and too tight. Now along comes the Tiguan, a car I've been waiting for since it's announcement back in 2015.
Never say never........but I reckon this is probably my last vehicle. Considering the golf did around 9,000 miles in around 3 1/2 years, I cant see me wanting or needing anything else. :)

Steve

#5 ·
If I can ask why did you go for petrol?

#7 ·
I bought the Dinitrol on the web and I have a proper spraygun and a compressor. I removed all four wheels and did it myself.

#8 ·
Beagler said:
If I can ask why did you go for petrol?
Since the law came in regarding the fitting of DPF's to diesel cars I've always been put off buying a diesel. Even more now I'm doing such low mileage. I can do without the faff of additives and the like. With the type of driving I do now (short journeys mainly), a diesel would not be a sensible choice.

Steve

#9 ·
Steve,
My 2015 Audi Q5 was ordered in petrol as I only do a low annual mileage also but at the last minute I changed my mind and ordered diesel as I tow a caravan and heard TSi engines burn a lot of oil. I ended up going on the motorway too often just to keep the Dpf happy.
Love this TSi engine and I believe the problems with oil consumption have been resolved.

#10 ·
Hi All

I owned an Audi A4 bought brand new in 2005 - kept it until 2016 - 11 years service 93000 miles - looked after it - paid for and all mine

Have just got a new R line - 2016 - paid for - all mine
This will be kept for 10 years - and money put aside to buy another new car in 10 years.....

I work this way as I hate paying for credit on money which is essentially my savings that some bank has decided to loan back to me.....and I am a firm believer that if you have worked hard to save for it you will look after it .....maybe old fashioned but just brought up that way :)

Decided on a diesel even I only do 8-9k a year.....not worried about the DPF these days as it is set in a better position on the exhaust line and burns far more efficiently. Plus I always did a quick 50 mile blast once every 6 weeks in my Audi and it never sooted up.....

I absolutely love this new car.....so much in fact I look for excuses to drive somewhere to do or get something.....problem is I now have 38 light bulbs - 15 packets or razor blades and more tins of peas that I will ever use.....(sad but true) - I would recommend my Tiguan to anyone.....yes a little more expensive than some SUV's but a fabulous car to drive and own.

#11 ·
Terrier1964 said:
Hi All

I owned an Audi A4 bought brand new in 2005 - kept it until 2016 - 11 years service 93000 miles - looked after it - paid for and all mine

Have just got a new R line - 2016 - paid for - all mine
This will be kept for 10 years - and money put aside to buy another new car in 10 years.....

I work this way as I hate paying for credit on money which is essentially my savings that some bank has decided to loan back to me.....and I am a firm believer that if you have worked hard to save for it you will look after it .....maybe old fashioned but just brought up that way :)

Decided on a diesel even I only do 8-9k a year.....not worried about the DPF these days as it is set in a better position on the exhaust line and burns far more efficiently. Plus I always did a quick 50 mile blast once every 6 weeks in my Audi and it never sooted up.....

I absolutely love this new car.....so much in fact I look for excuses to drive somewhere to do or get something.....problem is I now have 38 light bulbs - 15 packets or razor blades and more tins of peas that I will ever use.....(sad but true) - I would recommend my Tiguan to anyone.....yes a little more expensive than some SUV's but a fabulous car to drive and own.
Don't you get bored? By year three I'm looking for a change and once it's in my head it usually happens.
Nice way to get value for money though, I'd be happy if I can keep this on 10yrs.

#13 ·
Like you terrier, when I pick up my car, will be paid for...been going around in an old 1993 golf which is on its last legs, saving for the car...when I finally get it in January, will have saved almost to the euro to pay in full and drive away...having a mortgage is enough...dont want any more credit!

My dad changed his car every 3 years when I was growing up...most of my cars bought second hand and held on to them for 5-6 years...got a feeling this one might be longer. :)

#14 ·
Well if I had a shed load of cash I would probably swap more oftern but I am a true Yorkshire lad......short arms and longs pockets.
Daft as it sounds I think of my cars as a family member......and I was a little sad to see the Audi go....(I took lots of pics before it went)

From 18 - I had a Beetle - kept that 4 years
then an Austin Allegro (dont laugh) - paid 400 quid for that - traded it in for 900 ! - great seats for those Saturday nights down a country lane - one lever and went flat !....
Ford Orion.....now that was a quickish car for the time.....kept that 7 years
Ford Focus ......steady car that - totally reliable.....kept that 7 years
Audi A4 - built like a tank.......11 years

Tiguan.....well who knows.....hopefully 10

My boy racer days are long gone.....my "steady head" is here now.....that said if I won the lottery......well .....who knows....

#17 ·
I have mine on a 2 year lease. It will go back to VW October 2018.

I get bored with cars and want new ones quite often. I also don't do loads of miles.

Leasing (on the right deal) is perfect for me. The total cost for the two years is £5300 (incl road tax). List price is £28,300. If I bought the same car for say £26k after discount I'd have to sell it for almost £21k after two years to match the lease cost. The guaranteed future value after two years is £15.6k :eek:

I also think about the 'keep for 10 years' scenario mentioned above. Let's say you lease for 10 years on five separate 24 month deals. 5x £5,300 = £26,500, or about the price of the car to start with. Sure if you bought one car instead you would have a bit of value in it, but what is a 10 year old Tiguan going to be worth? £2.5 - £3.5k perhaps.

So for roughly the same cost over those 10 years (ok let's say £3k more due to the fact you have a 10 year old model to sell/trade) you have had the pleasure of FIVE brand new cars, together with their warranties, their new tech & new innovations, their piece of mind, oh and their road tax included.

If you've never leased it is seriously worth looking at. :)

#18 ·
Lawrie - what version of the Tig have you got ?

On my R line version a quick internet search shows a deposit of £1085 and monthly payments of £361 - over two years that is coming in at £9749....which is £4k more than your figures.

I suppose its all horses for courses. People's circumstances change. Some are old school and buy and keep - others have PCP's and others choose the leasing route.

#19 ·
I retired in 2000 and spend almost half of the year at our second home in France (where we are now) so we need a comfortable, reliable car with good load carrying capacity. A golf estate, kept three years was followed by a Touran Sport, six and a half years, a Skoda Yeti Elegance, five and a half years and now the Tiguan SEL which we intend keeping for at least five years. Despite several trips to France, I only cover about 7,000 to 8,000 miles a year using the larger car for long journeys and my wife's 20-year-old Micra Auto (with only 36,000 miles on the clock) for shopping and local runs. If the Tiguan performs as well in five years as it does now, we'll keep it unless driver-less cars become affordable and easy to live with.
Driving through France on uncongested roads was a dream in the Tiguan. The adaptive cruise control, DSG box and overall comfort were superb. Even the satnav which I had thought clunky and non-intuitive became much easier with use so the Apple Maps app and CarPlay took a back seat. Consumption averaged 50 mpg, better than the smaller Yeti we replaced. My only gripes are that the 12V sockets don't work with either my car fridge or tyre pump which have standard 12v plugs (checked the fuse, No.40, 20 amp OK) and also changing units from miles to kilometers didn't change the speedometer display which remained in mph. I would have thought that a digital display would include a speedo in kph.
As others have said, however, I would strongly recommend the Tiguan as an all-round competent and well-specified package with great looks and road presence.

#20 ·
Terrier1964 said:

On my R line version a quick internet search shows a deposit of £1085 and monthly payments of £361 - over two years that is coming in at £9749....which is £4k more than your figures.

I suppose its all horses for courses. People's circumstances change. Some are old school and buy and keep - others have PCP's and others choose the leasing route.
It all depends on the deals available at the time. Certain models have big discounts and high residual values. This equals a cheap lease.

Mine is an SE Nav in white with 2WD and the 150bhp Diesel engine. That happened to be the model with the cheapest lease price this month. In this particular situation VW built a load of these spec cars for the fleet market and shipped them to the U.K. As stock for brokers to call on. This was likely to get more of the new model on the road.

The other car we lease (a mk7 Golf R) has a cheap lease price because the residual values are very strong. I've had one for about two years and I have a replacement arriving in Dec. Again it's all about timing and locking in a cheap deal when they crop up...

#21 ·
Terrier1964 said:

There were some crazy deals around on the r lines a couple of months back. I've done a 2 year lease on an r line dsg 4motion 150 tdi. £2k down and £215.99 a month inc vat. A lot of car for £216 a month

#22 ·
Winrya said:
Terrier1964 said:

There were some crazy deals around on the r lines a couple of months back. I've done a 2 year lease on an r line dsg 4motion 150 tdi. £2k down and £215.99 a month inc vat. A lot of car for £216 a month
Great deal and cements what I said above about timing. You won't always find a Tiguan is the best deal when you come to renew, but there is always going to be something similar around on offer at the time .... Audi Q5, X3 etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.