Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opted for the 2WD r line and it drives like a dream. Never owned a Tiguan before so dont know any better.
Why do so many people seem dead against the 2WD?

What is the need of the 4WD if your only driving to and from work etc?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I didn't notice there was any hate towards 2wd to be honest?

I've opted for 2wd purely because i don't need 4wd and it saved me a couple of grand lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RichyP said:
I didn't notice there was any hate towards 2wd to be honest?

I've opted for 2wd purely because i don't need 4wd and it saved me a couple of grand lol.
Not hate. Just meant unpopular.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Not unpopular, just that those that select 2wd are the silent majority, whilst those that select 4wd have a need to be fulfilled by it and are thus more vocal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Might be worth (out of interest) to create a Poll and see what the split is between those of us who own 2wd vs 4wd?

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
I wanted a 2.0 TSi engine, which is only available with 4Motion.
My previous car (a Golf GT) had the 1.4 TSi engine which I felt may be a bit underpowered, especially when carrying a load, although from reports here on the forum it does seem to work well.
I've had a couple of 4x4's in the past, and always loved the sure-footedness in all weathers.

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tricky said:
Not unpopular, just that those that select 2wd are the silent majority, whilst those that select 4wd have a need to be fulfilled by it and are thus more vocal.
Haha, Really. Thats interesting, I definitely feel in the minority owning a 2WD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Essjay said:
I wanted a 2.0 TSi engine, which is only available with 4Motion.
My previous car (a Golf GT) had the 1.4 TSi engine which I felt may be a bit underpowered, especially when carrying a load, although from reports here on the forum it does seem to work well.
I've had a couple of 4x4's in the past, and always loved the sure-footedness in all weathers.

Steve
Fair enough! I must say the 2WD R line is a solid drive. Really happy with it tbh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've definitely felt a negativity to the 2wd version when looking to sell my current Mk1 (I've got a 2.0TSi Sport which is 4wd but have been told more than once there'd be more interest in it being 4wd)

·
Registered
257 Posts
190PS and 240PS Diesel engines are only available with 4 motion. Having 4 motion obviously gives you better traction in bad weather and going off road etc . 4 motion also of course costs more. Again it's cost and personal choice.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think 2WD can make more sense for the main part as it's lighter and more economical. Traction is obviously better in the wet with Haldex, but in terms of stability and other things on the move ASC is so good these days it makes that less of an issue.

A set of winter tyres on a 2WD car is better than a 4WD on regular summer tyres in snow etc. So you could say a 2nd set of wheels with winter tyres is an alternative option.

I think cost aside (initial price and running costs) you'd get the 4WD though!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sorry Ed1........ you can get 4 motion with the 150ps

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think Ed1 meant that 2wd is not an option for 190/240?

·
Registered
257 Posts
RichyP said:
Yes that's what I meant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ed1 said:
190PS and 240PS Diesel engines are only available with 4 motion. Having 4 motion obviously gives you better traction in bad weather and going off road etc . 4 motion also of course costs more. Again it's cost and personal choice.
Get the personal choice bit. I personally wouldn't have bought a Tiguan unless it was the R line. I don't think the other models look half as good in shape and styling.
It was an r line or nothing for me.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
RichyP said:
Oops sorry.....I may have read it wrong :roll: :roll: :lol: Thanks RichyP....sorry Ed1 :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Before buying my Tig I was a committed Audi driver for over 25 years (A6, A4, Q5) and always a Quattro variant. In my experience 4WD provided significantly better road behaviour than 2WD - occasionally I found myself driving a 2WD model while my car was in for a service or the like and the road holding & cornering of the 2WD was poorer. I spend a lot of time driving long winding roads in the Scottish Highlands in all weathers in pursuit of hill walking & skiing and in my view the 4WD offers a substantial safety margin on wet or slippery roads. If I was simply doing the school run, or parking up at a railway station on a daily commute or essentially urban driving then the advantage over 2WD would be less obvious. Having said that 4WD in snowy or icy winter conditions will always be an advantage, particularly with winter tyres fitted. One thing to remember is that 4WD does not necessarily stop you quicker than 2WD on snow or ice, winter tyres do that.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was obsessed with thinking I must get a 4wd now as not had one as it seemed the in thing and I was fed up going in National Trust car parks that were muddy.

Then I thought "hold on how many times am I on the road compared to in a national trust muddy car park?" And for the extra cost decided against 4wd (felt sorry for the salesman actually as he had already quoted several times and was off doing different 4wd ones when my lightbulb moment happened to not bother with it.

He come back with a handful of quotes and I just said "actually I've decided. This one."

:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Didn't need 4wd so got 2wd. Saving on cost as well as 8mpg better fuel consumption.

·
Registered
123 Posts
c_w said:
I think 2WD can make more sense for the main part as it's lighter and more economical. Traction is obviously better in the wet with Haldex, but in terms of stability and other things on the move ASC is so good these days it makes that less of an issue.

A set of winter tyres on a 2WD car is better than a 4WD on regular summer tyres in snow etc. So you could say a 2nd set of wheels with winter tyres is an alternative option.

I think cost aside (initial price and running costs) you'd get the 4WD though!
a set of winter tyres on a 2wd is better than 4 wd in snow , strange , where did you get that information from ?

after coming from a FWD audi TT which used to spin at the front end in the wet never mind the ice i wanted something safer for my wife who commutes to work on mainly country lanes which are often not gritted in the winter hence 4wd

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.